Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what you guys find to be the best pet insurance for dobermans. I don't have a dog yet, but trying to obviously figure this out ahead of time! Thanks c:

·
Registered
7 Posts
wow, I literally was just talking to my wife about this and was about to post asking this too!

**but we already have Zeus...in fact, he's bugging me to take him for a walk right now!

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I have insurance through Trupanion. I haven't had to use it but I've heard pretty much only good things about it. If I ever have to use it I"ll definitely be glad that I got insurance in the first place.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, great minds do think alike! I wish I had a pup to walk right now!

And thank you for the info PatchworkRobot, I will check out their prices right now :)

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
We have PurinaCare $500 Ded. $20,000 a year No Lifetime limit. Have used it 1 time no problems. Rates do go up at ages 5yr then at 8yr.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I have Embrace....I have not had to use it yet....I have heard good things about it. Good for you for thinking about health care before you get a puppy. :)

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have Trupanion - it's a breeze to use. Claim form is one simple page, I had my refund check within a week. I opted for 90% coverage (10% deductible) + hip displasia and I think it's $60/mo. No lifetime limit (watch for this when you're doing research, heaven forbid your pup gets somthing chronic that can max out quickly). You can choose your deductible levels to match what works best for your finances - I liked the predictible monthly rate with the low deductible, but everyone is different.

It's really nice to have - I know that there will never, ever be a situation where cash even has to remotely come into the equation on a decision about Koa's health.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had VPI for a while but the premiums kept going up; we canceled the plan about a year ago. Now we save about $50 a month in a dedicated savings account. I actually just got a new job too, and my company offers a pet insurance - type program from Pet Assure, which basically shaves 25% off the final bill (at the time of service).
Together, we shall overcome high vet bills! LOL

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have been with VPI for about 8 years now, and they have gotten worse and worse about reimbursing me for claims. They come up with ANY loop hole they can.
For example,
1. My French bulldog ingested some elastic, and it got stuck in her stomach, but some had passed into her intestines. She kept vomiting a portion of it up, but then had to swallow it again. she ended up aspirating on vomit and got Pneumonia. VPI would not cover it because she is a short faced dog and apparently they are more prone to pneumonia.
2. in a more recent example they have denied a claim because we did some testing on my dogs bladder after chronic UTI's since about 4 months of age. They say that she clearly has a hereditary issue causing the UTI's (it has since cleared up). They also say that a neurological episode was a result of the UTI (even though the vet says it was a possible toxin ingestion, AND she did not have a UTI when it happened). They have essentially said that anything relating to her urogenital tract is excluded and then whenever there is anything even slightly questionable they lump it in with that exclusion, even if the two are completely unrelated.

I will say, I got the free trial that AKC gives when you register your puppy, and they payed out the full amount of that trial policy, no questions asked. They even payed a hell of a lot more then VPI did.

I do not suggest VPI, at all!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dang... $60 a month for Trupanion is quite a bit for me to pay monthly.. Are there any cheaper plans or any other companies anyone can recommend?..

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I had been raving about Pets Best and now say they are the SCUM OF THE EARTH. They raised my policies. Flirt's almost DOUBLED! I'm so mad I can't talk. She went from $42 a month to $77!!! The Vizslas are on a separate policy and their policy went up $36 so $114 now for 2 dogs! That's almost $200 a month in insurance. I surely don't spend $2400 a year on bills. Gabby has 2 claims long-term so I cannot move her. But am looking to move the others. Pet Plan has the cheapest rates. Trupanion wasn't much cheaper than Pets Best but does cover 90% vs 80%. Havoc has had ZERO claims. Flirt had 1 claim in 10/10 so almost 2 years ago. Gabby has had 3 claims; 1 small claim and 2 long-term claims probably reimbursing me about $100 a month so I maybe break even on her policy.

I may be going back to no insurance coverage at all. It's not worth it at this moment right now. Of course, should Flirt obstruct again, then I'll want it. Sigh.

PetPlan quote for Flirt with other pet discount was still $54-59 depending on which plan you picked.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I had Trupanion for Oliver and they were great the 1st year, I paid about $43.00 a month and 90% payback with no deductable. Once he turned 1 they raised it to $105. So I went to VIP. I really can't comment on them as I cancelled it when Oliver passed. I have Pet's Best now, Lexi is 4 yrs old and it's about $480. a year and pays 80%. It has a $100.00 deductable. I hope I never have to use it.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I had Trupanion for Oliver and they were great the 1st year, I paid about $43.00 a month and 90% payback with no deductable. Once he turned 1 they raised it to $105. So I went to VIP. I really can't comment on them as I cancelled it when Oliver passed. I have Pet's Best now, Lexi is 4 yrs old and it's about $480. a year and pays 80%. It has a $100.00 deductable. I hope I never have to use it.
Aha, so they DO GO by past claims!! The rep argued with me that they do not. Flirt's was $528 with a $250 deductible for the 2nd level coverage. Now suddently it's more as in almost $1,000 a year. When does your policy end? I'd be curious to see if they raise it on you also. I wonder why Flirt's was so high compared to Lexi's even before she had claims also?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Aha, so they DO GO by past claims!! The rep argued with me that they do not. Flirt's was $528 with a $250 deductible for the 2nd level coverage. Now suddently it's more as in almost $1,000 a year. When does your policy end? I'd be curious to see if they raise it on you also. I wonder why Flirt's was so high compared to Lexi's even before she had claims also?
I never had Trupanion for Lexi, it was way more money, I can't remember now. I did have alot of claims for Oliver. He put everything in his mouth and eat it, he had 3 growths removed, attacked by a rottie. I'm sure there were more, I just can't remember. I know that Pet's Best said no pre-existing, but I got the feeling they might claim some stuff was pre-exsiting, like if she got cancer, they may say she already had it. Time will tell. That is a huge jump in price for you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts