Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have Koa chipped, I like that most shelters and vets have scanners these days and it won't fade or get blurry like a tattoo could. Was fairly cheap and easy, too, I don't think Koa even realized it happened.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I do not have first hand experience with tattoos, but I seem to recall being told or reading that they can become illegible over time.

All of my pets are microchipped. My one cat had to be chipped a second time as her original chip could not be located after a few years.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Chip hands down.
I just think, dogs should be scanned when first visiting a vet, in case they were stolen. but here its a privacy issue.....

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
If I had to pick one, chipping all the way. As it's been said, tattoos can easily become blurry and illegible.
Though, while neither of my dogs happen to be tattooed, if they had to go under for anything and the vet was like, "hey, want me to tattoo them while I"m at it" (because I don't actually know how that works) I'd have it done. No such thing as too many ways to identify a dog as yours, if you ask me.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
My first dober pup was tattood 35 years ago...could not even read it, after a while.

Next pup was also tattooed...I could not even find it now, if you gave me $5.

^^^^ Micro chip makes good sense...and permanent / fool proof.
My dogs wear an ID tag, on its collar with: my name, address, phone #.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
In New Zealand all dogs are required to be microchipped by 4 months of age, and you give that information to the council when you register them at 4 months. Council also provides free microchpping clinics every month. We only have one kind of microchip here so anyone that picks up a dog can read their chip.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
I was concerned about reports of migration with a chip and possible irritations even cysts or cancer.
Lots of people have rfid chips in their bodies and no issues.
I think eventually, we will go that route and no longer have to carry atm cards.... LoL
Once I have some fun money, I will be getting those chips and hardware, ie:locks,car ignitions, computers, etc.... much better solution than keys and passwords.

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts

Did someone say tattoo? See mine, in my left ear? I have a microchip, too!

Seriously, according to the research, microchips rarely cause any problems. Most of my cats have chips and tattoos. Both Lucky and Ilka have my SSN tattooed on thier inner thigh. After 1almost 12 years, Lucky's is still very visiblr. Ilka's is almost invisible after only only about 18 months.

ETA: Between all the critters, we have chips from three different companies. Most scanners these days will read all of them.

·
Good Gracious, Gracie!
1,943 Posts
I asked my vet about this, as Diva is tattooed while Gracie is chipped.

The problem with tattoos, my vet tells me, is that, while they DO identify the dog, there's not a single, centralized registry for them.

So a tattoo makes it easy to identify a dog when its human is in attendance, like at a trial, and no chip reader is required. Diva is 7.5 years old and hers is still clearly legible.

But, if your dog is lost, a registered chip is a lot more likely to lead to his or her return to you, presuming the information is up to date. Because a chip is what the local pound is most likely to look for.

·
Registered
667 Posts
We have Rush microchipped. Microchip story.

My friend Kelly volunteers for jack russell rescue. Year ago she rescued a boy with severe case of kennel cough from shelter. Nursed him back to health and was adopted out to man name Joe Rocky is his name, the pup, he had ball drive as Kelly describes. The rescue was contacted by company called Elite Detection in Riverside Ca who was looking for jack Russell with high ball drive train to detect bed bugs. Joe was contacted and agreed to allow Rocky to be trained n if Rocky didn't work out he was to be returned to Joe. All parties agreed. Elite detection had NO idea Rocky was microchipped.

On Thurs May 31 Kelly receives phone call from animal shelter in Wildomar Ca saying that a man dropped off Rocky saying he found him alongside a road. Shelter describes man and his veh and low and behold its Dustin from Elite Detection. He never called Rockys owner to inform him Rocky didn't work out. Rescue volunteers picked up Rocky on Fri June 1 til
Joe got off work. If Rocky hadn't been microchipped he may have been pts n not reunited with his owner Joe.

·
sadder but wiser girl
9,688 Posts
We 've had 3 tattooed Dobes.... 2 of them, the tatts were so blurry by 1 year that they were illegible. We had them chipped as pups anyway, so it didn't matter. The others were all chipped by me when they were puppies. Annie has an excellent tattoo which has not distorted in the least... that said, I feel that tattoos are pretty worthless because there is no uniform central database to register them. I think chips are far and away the most wonderful invention for reuniting lost pets with families or being able to track rescues and rehomes. I will be chipping Annie within the month, since we are moving and want to ensure a happy outcome if the unthinkable happens... her tattoo - how many people would root around a Dobe's groin to search for a tattoo when scanning is so easy and effective?!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
just like everyone else stated, in my experience of other dogs I worked with all of them that had tattoos I couldn't even read them.

Reactions: Nubis'sDad

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow thanks to all, microchip sounds like the way to go. The Breeder I am getting my girl from beleves more in tattoos, she cites migration as the reason. The internet does talk to migration and even cancers from foreign bodies. TOO much information, always scarey to put something foreign in your babes, but it seems pretty tried and true.
Story: my first girl Rosebud, moved with us, the day of moving, so much going on, she wandered off, we franticly went through the streets calling her name. I passed a man watering his lawn, he said to me, are you looking for a Doberman, YES I said. Good he said, I came out of the bathroom and she was asleep in my livingroom, so I am out here watering my lawn, would you please get her out so I can go back into my house? :p
I often think that could have had a really bad ending instead of a funny one.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I would have thought the cases of migration and cancer are so low compared to how many dogs each year are microchipped. Our vets recommend that you ask them to scan the chip the next time we're in after the chipping to make see it can be read with no issues.

I honestly believe microchips save dogs lives every day, at least over here every vet an animal shelter has a reader. I think people should do everything within their power if they want their dog back.

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
every furry pet in my house is chipped. i'm a firm believer in it.

I think eventually, we will go that route and no longer have to carry atm cards.... LoL
that's terrifying.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The problem with tattoos, my vet tells me, is that, while they DO identify the dog, there's not a single, centralized registry for them.
Duke was tattooed and chipped when I got him from our breeder. GrdnDelite is right thought, I don't even know myself where to go online to indentify him via his tattoo without going through our paperwork first.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
add me to the chip list. I've chipped 6 dogs so far. Flirt's chip could not be read recently and we had to rechip. Other than that, I've never had any issues whatsoever. The biggest selling point for me is the lack of a central registry for tattoos.

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
Whenever I take someone in to the vet, I try to remember to have their chip checked. Like I said, most of my animals are chipped and tattooed. The tattoo is mainly to have a visual ID. The chip is to make sure they have permanant ID, no matter what. Just make sure the chip is registered, and the information up to date. A chip that has your contact info from five moves (and three towns) ago won't do anyone much good.

Reactions: Nubis'sDad
1 - 20 of 36 Posts