Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious to know how everyone feels about pet health insurance and whether or not it is actually worth getting. If so what is the best plan to consider? I have seen different ones and I just didn't know if they were worth the price or if they were scammy. What are your thoughts?

·
Collar Connoisseur
908 Posts
I got Trupanion for my puppy so it would cover HD, just in case. My friends use Trupanion and they pay pretty quick and you can pick your deductible. I've heard good things about Embrace but I have never used them. :)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forgive the ignorance but what is hd? Is that heart disease? Akc has been sending me emails for their pet insurance have you heard anything on them?

·
Collar Connoisseur
908 Posts
hip dysplasia, you have to have them signed up before a certain age, and they will cover it.
And as for personal experience I don't know about the AKC pet insurance. Search pet insurance on this forum as there are quite a few threads about it. :D

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
I have petplan. They cover everything except for preexisting conditions. Heart disease, hip dysplasia, ect. Anything genetic, and no per injury/illness cap. Just a yearly cap of 20k. I signed Niz up and a few months later he was diagnosed with heart disease, and we've had all of our testing covered no questions asked. I even did a thyroid recheck at the cardiologist's and it was covered as well. We receive our checks in about a week!

This is our plan detail. The annual premium does go up every year for us.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
You can start a pet savings account like $50 a month. But if you are hit with a $4000 bill just before 1yr old which happened to us, which only cost $1200 with insurance. It takes 80 months to save up $4000. Or use a credit card. We purchased insurance for the major stuff. We learned a long time ago with 2 other Dobes. One had Wobblers and another had gotten Auto Immune Hemolitic Anemia after being re-vaccinated with annual boosters.
We have Purina Care which we purchased when they were about 3 months old.
Its $33 a month ea.
$20,000 a year
$500 ded. then pays 80%
No lifetime limit
It will go up at age 5 yrs Then at 8 yrs old
We received a check in 7-10 days
You can check out this site and compare.
Pet Insurance University - A Vet's Guide to Pet Insurance

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
At the moment I don't have the necessary savings to cover anything beyond routine care, so I took out an Embrace policy on Ivan. This of course guaranteed Ivan would have a problem before the 14 day wait period to the tune of ~$400. I am happy to say as of today Ivan is now covered!!

I thought Trupanion was also good, but the monthly premium for a working dog was much higher.

The AKC Pet Healthcare plan does not cover alternative medicine including holistic, acupuncture, etc. Seeing as I have a holistic vet and am currently doing accupuncture on a cat, this exclusion was a big turn off for me.

Pet Plan had a per-condition deductible, so I didn't like the idea of paying the deductible for this injury. . . and then paying the deductible for this illness.

I also looked at VPI, but they exclude coverage for things like Cardiomyopathy.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I had Trupanion, when Oliver turned 1 year the premium increase more than double. I went to VIP. If you google pet insurance a comparible will come up and you can pick the one you like.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I've searched Insurance threads and there's a lot out there...just want to know REAL experiences/examples! I am subscribing to this thread...

·
of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,015 Posts
Honestly, I wish I'd gotten insurance on Shanoa when she was a pup. Now I don't think it's worth it because she'll have too many "pre-existing conditions." My vet is a fan of Trupanion, and if ever get another pup I think we'll get that (in addition to having a savings account).

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
For those of you with Trupanion, is your deductible PER INCIDENT or ANNUAL?

This is the one thing that stops me from signing up now.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have Trupanion - I went with the $0 deductible, 90% refund option and added the hip displasia coverage. You can alter the deductible to whatever you desire, but I don't remember if it's per or annual since I don't have one. Covers everything except for the actual office visit fee and routine vaccines. I sent in my first claim from getting bloodwork done and it was super easy (one page, short form) and I had my approval and check within a week or so. So far, I have only positive things to say about them.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I called Petplan and was very impressed with their coverage as they also cover hereditary conditions including (God forbid)displasia or dcm and their annual policy pay out depending on which plan you picked was either 8,000, 12,000 or 20,000. the prices in between plans were very minimal so for the extra ten bucks, the better plan seems more worth it. Some of the different plans I inquired about weren't even paying close to that for a lifetime policy so theirs so far looks the best . Their sales rep was helpful without being pushy and they had great ratings on the pet insurance ratings site, I'll look into trupanion too as I really want to choose the best one for the money. thanks.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I'll definitely get pet insurance for any doberman I have down the road since I have started having liver issues with my 8 1/2 year old baby. Anyone with liver issues can attest that they are not cheap...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts