Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, OZZY is now 6.5 months and loves the fact that the snow has just all melted, lol. My nearest neighbor is appx 3 acres away, and have all woods around the house. They own a farm and have cows, pigs, and goats and sheep. he has amazing hearing and yesterday was just standing and looking in their direction while listening to the goats. My question is I do not wnt to put up any kind of fence in the yard and am leaning towards a fence called pet safe with a 180 ft range. What are your thoughts on this and do you recommend any particular electronic fence. I live in Maine, and have to say that the thought of me shocking my pup is not something I really would enjoy. thanks for your thoughts, Mike:)

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I'd never use that kind of fence to keep a doberman in a yard. A dog in drive will crash right through it without thinking twice. Then once the critter who put the dog into drive is gone, the dog won't want to cross that fence to come back into the yard.

They also don't keep other animals out.

I'm a firm believer that Robert Frost was right-good fences *do* make good neighbors.

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
Ditto to what Murreydobe said.

I just heard about a young male Dobe who ran through an electric fence after some deer and was found 3-miles from home the next day. Thankfully he was found at all.

It doesn't keep anything or anyone out of your yard except your dog once they've ran through it.

·
MOATS
1,922 Posts
I would only ever consider using that type of fencing in conjunction with an actual solid physical fence. It can be useful in keeping dogs off the perimeter that try to climb over or dig under fencing, but I would never expect / rely that it would safely contain a dog by itself.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Years ago I had a chow chow that I tried to use an electric fence with. She would go right thru it without even a wince. we even shaved her neck. I have no faith in them.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I can't recommend an electric fence- I have never heard a good thing! The only dogs I've seen contained in it are dogs without drives (labs, etc.)

Can you section off part of your yard? I know you probably don't want to obstruct your view but there are some nice options out there. We didn't want to block our view of a nice stream or make us feel like our yard is smaller than it really is (we aren't fencing the whole yard.)

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
It can also have a negative impact psychologically on your dog. They can become confused and associate moving is what triggers the shock, and just shut down and lay there.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Please do not spend your monies on a electronic fence if your pup just decides to go though it and most likely will go visit the goats,sheep,cattle what ever that neighbor has every right to shoot your dog.Even though the pup is playing just shoot any dog harassing live stock.A Doberman has a bad reputation most people do not know they are usually mush dogs please reconsider the electric fence. Also dogs in the country know when mom & dad are to be home from work some dogs will get together run in packs get in all kinds of trouble then when it is time for mom & dad to come home they get home first act like they have been home all day.MIL had land this is what happened there also coyotes some times lure dogs off and kill them better to have your pup in a fenced area for its safety.Good Luck with your pup.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks to all for your input. I have decided not to go the way of an electric fence. I will build a fence. I have 4 acres and nothing but trees behind us and to the sides, and you cant even see the neighbors. This week I have started cutting trees and making the yard bigger. Right now the yard is appx 80x60 so there is room for him to run. He doesnt like staying out by himself anyway, unless our st bernard is there, lol. I thought about the same thing that he would break through and not want to come back in. My neighbor has cows and she wouldnt shoot ozzy, I didnt shoot her cows when they came on my property. I never realized how fast calves were until I actually had to chase them, lmao. What a night that was and in the rain. So, I will build a nice looking fence and he will have plenty of room to run, when he gets older and would stay out. The snow and ice has finally melted last week and he is having a blast outside, I taught him to fetch the ball and bring it back, he loves that game. He lost almost 2 lbs last week, running around, and eats like a horse. However he looks great and is very fit and fast. Thnks again for all your input. have a great day:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts