Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering all how has a pet/standard crop or a show crop on there dobes. I was looking threw the gallerys and am not sure what to look for. i seen some ear that i like. but not sure what crop they are. I seen some that have a little curve towars the top. Does the vet do that or did they grow like that? Im full of questions. I seen some pretty nice ears. If you all can tell me what type of crop you have gotten i can check out the pics better :3dbiggrin,
Thanks
Jamie.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Princi has the Show crop.

Show Crop=Longest
Medium/Pet Crop-Medium
Military Crop=Short

Also, different vets do them a little differently.

More experienced members, please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
DobiLove said:
I was just wondering all how has a pet/standard crop or a show crop on there dobes. I was looking threw the gallerys and am not sure what to look for. i seen some ear that i like. but not sure what crop they are. I seen some that have a little curve towars the top. Does the vet do that or did they grow like that? Im full of questions. I seen some pretty nice ears. If you all can tell me what type of crop you have gotten i can check out the pics better :3dbiggrin,
Thanks
Jamie.
The outer edge of a cropped ear is the cut edge..that's never how the ear grows. Ear cropping is an art form-a really good cropper will tailor the shape of the ear to the dog's head to a certain degree. But all croppers have their own stule of ear crop they do, their own little signatures. For example, the vet who cropped most of my dogs puts a little hook on the very tip of the ear.

All but one of my dogs has had what could be considered a long show crop. I've put medium length show crops on some puppies that were clearly pet quality in the past..I really didn't care for how they turned out, so wouldn't do that again. And I really, really don't care for short, "pet" crops-I think it really diminishes the appearance of the dog.

So here are some pics of different dogs, all with show crops. Here are front and side views of my puppy, Razzle, who's just 9 months old.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Deacon's-MoM said:
deacon has the show crop. I am very please with his ears.... i love the longer cut!
Yeah, I definitely like crops longer rather than shorter. You can also kind of mask some head faults with a longer crop at times.

One more set of pics of a long show crop..this one is really long, too. If you look closely at the tip of the ear in the photo in the flower field, you can see the little hook I mentioned.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is a picture i found under the gallery posted by frznbuns, I really like his ears. But im not sure if they are standard or show. they are nice though! heh. They arent to long or to short and they have that look to them that i cant explain :D

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
DobiLove said:
This is a picture i found under the gallery posted by frznbuns, I really like his ears. But im not sure if they are standard or show. they are nice though! heh. They arent to long or to short and they have that look to them that i cant explain :D
Thanks Dobilove! Spirit is a handsome boy but I am a Dobermom so what can I say. My Vet will not do a Long Show Crop unless he is sure you are going to show.. Well, with Spirit having such a dark face we were not sure if we were going to show or not.(the judges in my area do not like dark faces or Blues)
Spirit has a long Medium crop as my Vet calls it. Now Raven our other female has a beautiful ears and such a pretty face.. the same vet has done all my dogs ears..

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
I really like Dutchess's ears. That is like the perfect Pet Crop. I wish now that I had done that crop on Rommel. This long crop is a pain to make stand.... But I am still POSTING!!!!!

I prefer the look of a long show crop, but a really really well done pet crop, can be just as pretty.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
aww thank you. But after all the posting is done I can just imagine how awesome his ears are going to look on such a handsome dobe! I love both the pet and the long show crop for different reasons. I can just imagine the work to make those stand! Keep up the great work!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, Duchess's ear look great also.. Im gonna have some talking to do with my vet to see what style we can come up with. cause i like the medium longish that is done on spirit. So we will see what we can come up with :D
Thanks again for letting me know what type you got.. cause i know my vet did a crop almost like that and it looked great on the dobe.. so like i said talking is to be done! hehe

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I also prefer show crops, here is one without the hook on a young male

here is a crop with the bell on two 23 week old puppies
the hook is something a professional cropper does, similar to a signature touch. I personally like it very much

Ear cropping is an art, each cropper has a style. There are decisions that go into the cropping, the cropper takes a look at the dog and crops to the ear in balance with the features on the puppy.
What looks good on a Pit Bull rarely looks good on a Doberman.
Ear cropping is not one size fits all. If you want show crops you should find a vet that is familiar with Doberman crops or better yet if you are buying a puppy find a reputable breeder that does the cropping for their puppy buyers before the puppies leave their home.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Could someone explain to me why the show crop seems more straight with little shape but the pet crop has a nice shape to it? I guess I like a little shape... My girl has a pet crop as far as I can see (I adopted her the way she is). I went to a dog show recently (Canada) and some ears were SO long they almost looked silly!!! Maybe it's just me.....

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah i know what you mean about some of the show crops looking silly.. kinda reminds you of bunnys LOL.. But yeah about the vets and differnt style crops.. My vet does dobes, pits and danes. and all the crops i seen him do are awsome.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
MIA said:
Could someone explain to me why the show crop seems more straight with little shape but the pet crop has a nice shape to it?
I don't think you can say all show crops have little shape..some have more shape than others. It depends on who crops them, also the shape of the dog's head. As a few of us have said..cropping is an art form, and the shape and length of the crop should be tailored to the individual dog. If you look at the side views of the crops I posted pictures of, you can see pronounced shape to them.

I think it can be said that show crops are usually more narrow than pet crops-pet crops tend to have more bell, and that's a personal choice thing as to whether it's considered a "nice" shape. Personally, I don't care for a lot of bell, so even if I wanted a shorter crop, all that bell would be something I'd want to avoid.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.