Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is for people who have male and female dobermans. Or those that have been around them enough to pick up on difference between the two. What are some of the main things?
For instance, my female is much more protective of me than my male is.

·
Banned
675 Posts
Are you in danger a lot? Because if you're not, then she's not being protective, whatever she's doing. What is she doing that you see as protective?

I don't see a difference in real protectiveness between the sexes.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Peaches is my first female of 4 Dobermans. Really, the only difference I see with her is she isn't as velcro as my males have been. She is happy to go sleep on my bed if I am in the living room. My males would always be in the same room as me. And I'm not sure if that is a female thing or just the way she is.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Speaking in generalities, I think bitches are more complex in their thought processes, and are more likely to be sneaky.

I kind of think the males tend to think in one syllable verbs. "Eat". "Drink". LOL, that *could* be true for males of all species.

But generalities can go just so far, and every dog is different.

·
Premium Member
8,861 Posts
Murreydobe said:
Speaking in generalities, I think bitches are more complex in their thought processes, and are more likely to be sneaky.

I kind of think the males tend to think in one syllable verbs. "Eat". "Drink". LOL, that *could* be true for males of all species.

Good thing I was not drinking my diet coke when I read this - it would have ended up all over my keyboard!

I only have bitches right now, and they are very velcro........ and sneaky with each other. I think that each dog is so individual that you just cannot pigeon hole them.

·
Extraordimary
4,979 Posts
Having owned males since 1981 and having had females since 1994, I can speak in some generalities but they don't hold true for every dog.

I agree with the statement that someone found their males more velcro. My boys have always been very, very close to me while the girls have been a little more to themselves. The girls like attention but they don't seem to need it as much as my boys do, and don't seek it as much.

The girls are generally much more "high alert". More "on guard". They sound off when they think they see something or hear something and race off to find it / face it. The boys generally stand around as back up and stay closer to me.

That's just a couple of my personal observations.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Murreydobe said:

LOL!

·
Registered
954 Posts
I wish I could remember who to credit this for:

Daddy dog is lying on the rug enjoying a bone. One of his boy puppies sees Daddy dog enjoying the bone and decides he would like to take it. He walks over to Daddy, tries to take the bone, and gets growled at. Not willing to take no for an answer, he backs off, and then tries again. This time, he gets run off with a nip to his flank for his trouble.

Later, one of Daddy dog’s girl puppies sees him enjoying the bone. She decides she would like to take it. She walks over to Daddy, tries to take the bone, and gets growled at. Not willing to take no for an answer, she backs off to access the situation. This time she goes back over to Daddy and ignores the bone. She gives him a play bow and starts to jump all over him. After awhile, Daddy dog gets tired of all the attention. He forgets all about the bone, gets up, and leaves. Our little girl puppy now lies down in his place and takes over - enjoying the bone.

:tongue23:

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I have had all females. All were velcro, some more so than others. My daughter has a male doberman. He stands his ground with everything except the female dobes that I have had. The females got their way all the time. (Bones-toys-how & when to play--you name it).
All my females were very affectionate and my daughters male is very affectionate too. I can see no difference there.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
ps4570 said:
I wish I could remember who to credit this for:

Daddy dog is lying on the rug enjoying a bone. One of his boy puppies sees Daddy dog enjoying the bone and decides he would like to take it. He walks over to Daddy, tries to take the bone, and gets growled at. Not willing to take no for an answer, he backs off, and then tries again. This time, he gets run off with a nip to his flank for his trouble.

Later, one of Daddy dog’s girl puppies sees him enjoying the bone. She decides she would like to take it. She walks over to Daddy, tries to take the bone, and gets growled at. Not willing to take no for an answer, see backs off to access the situation. This time she goes back over to Daddy and ignores the bone. She gives him a play bow and starts to jump all over him. After awhile, Daddy dog gets tired of all the attention. He forgets all about the bone, gets up, and leaves. Our little girl puppy now lies down in his place and takes over - enjoying the bone.

:tongue23:
Hahaha LOLOLOL, ps4570 having 5 kids in the house (2 girls & 3 boys) I can definitely say the same is true with human kids too, at least with daddies!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Ain't that the truth.

Murreydobe said:

LOL LOL LOL I an still laughing the truth is funny sometimes isn't it. I have to agree, I think that is the truth with all species lol.

Now in reference to velcro my girl now is far more than my male was. Then the other two girls were opposite not both the same, I think it depends on the connection owner/dog.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
MaryAndDobes said:
I agree with the statement that someone found their males more velcro. My boys have always been very, very close to me while the girls have been a little more to themselves. The girls like attention but they don't seem to need it as much as my boys do, and don't seek it as much.

The girls are generally much more "high alert". More "on guard". They sound off when they think they see something or hear something and race off to find it / face it. The boys generally stand around as back up and stay closer to me.
That about sums up my two. She is more independent while he wants told what to do next.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
i can only speak from my small experiance with my co-workers dog(ok, he was a little mine as well). He was a total velcro dog. when she left the groom shop, he went on alert. "where's mom? where'd she go." and then he'd pace til I gave him attention. then he was my velcro dobe.:)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Both of ours are velcro dogs and like fuss and cuddles equally as much. Abbie is much more intelligent and able to work things out for herself whereas Diesel takes a lot longer to learn and needs to be shown exactly what to do. Although I suppose that could just be a Diesel thing, not a male thing. With the dobes in rescue that we have walked and spent time with, the girls tend to want to sit with you and learn stuff whereas the boys would rather be off and running and bouncing around.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
By protective I meant that she is more alert when approached by someone or something she isn't familiar with. My male is happy go-lucky and is less apprehensive

·
Premium Member
10,623 Posts
Murreydobe said:

And there folks, you have, in a nutshell, the reason that I owned my first and last Doberman bitch in the early 60's and why I decided that I did NOT ever want to be a breeder.

I'll take males every time. Dobermans are complex enough without having bitches trying to outsmart you at every turn.

There is, of course, a lot of individual variation but in general the males are what you see is what you get--they don't have a lot of buried agendas.

<LOL> Man, did that make me laugh when I read it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
This is my 1st post, YAY me. Anyway, my female (Ilonka) is extremely more velcro then my male (Freud). She has to sleep with me and have her nose touch me. That ok with me unless it's winter, freezing doggie nose as a nice little hello. He lays with me, but doesn't need the constant attention when they are inside. While out, he is the 1st to come in, while she loves it outside. That's just my experience with my dogs. I've read opposite posts, so, i can only say that it does depend on the specific dog.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I've only had a female and Java can be very 'velcro', happiest to be in the same room or w/in sight distance of me. If she hears anything out of the ordinary she is on high alert, pacing the perimeter of the house until she's sure everything is ok. But since hubby travels and we're in a semi-rural area, her protectiveness doesn't bother me in the least because that's partly why I wanted a Dobe in the first place. Potential burglars don't need to know what a sweetie she is....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts