Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2.5 year old redhead developed a rash on her belly a few weeks ago. It started out as a small red scrape (I assume from rough and tumble play with our other dog) just above her hock. It went away for a week or so, then came back in a mild rash in the folds of where her legs meet belly. That went away for a week, too, then came back a rash much worse. I've tried anti-biotic cream, SMZ anti-biotics, lanolin cream, and just leaving it alone to see if it would resolve itself like the first couple times. Nothing is working! She does lick it several times a day, but she's not obsessive about it. The skin is a bit dry and flakey, but I'm not sure if this is from the licking or something to do with the rash. The rash is a bit bumpy, but not like pus pockets or pimples.

She is going into the vet for vaccines next week anyway, so he'll take a look at it then, but I'm hoping to get some ideas now. Here are some pictures (on Facebook). Sorry for my hand being in the picture, she was snoozing and I was trying to pry her legs apart!

Link for the whole album, I can't seem to link to individual pictures (pics are at the end): Alexis | Facebook

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
31,164 Posts
I have read that a groin rash is often a sign of allergies. The skin starts out blotchy pink and red, and can get somewhat raw if the dog picks at it. The rash comes and goes but will darken to black over time. Our current boy Kip often had that kind of rash; it showed up and then disappeared--now that he gets allergy shot and eats a somewhat limited diet, I haven't seen a rash for a long time.

Lots of other things could give you a similar appearance, so asking your vet is a good idea. Good luck!

·
Registered
46 Posts
ahhh another one dealing with armpit rashes.. no fun! my vet gave her antibacterial pills he said she had skin bacteria.. the pills work well but they do need to be given with a meal.. because they can make upset stomachs..

another posibility is that she has CDA.. im strongly starting to think mine has it.. Doberman Pinscher Health Concerns

it can make the skin sensitive and dry.. and causes skin bacteria sometimes..

or perhaps allergies... you might need to change the food

good luck.. i also put baby diaper cream to the area when its super red.. usualy clears by the next few days... ill keep on reading the advice/replies to your post since our girl's rash also comes and goes..

hope the vet helps you.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Maybe ringworm? It's hard to tell from the pics =/ If it is ringworm something like preparation H will clear it up. Anything the treats athlete's foot is an antifungal and would help
That's what I was going to suggest too. You can go to the drug store and get prep.h or equivalent and see if that works. I couldn't access your FB page so I can't see your pictures....let us know what it is.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
My 2.5 year old redhead developed a rash on her belly a few weeks ago.

She is going into the vet for vaccines next week anyway, so he'll take a look at it then
Vaccines are only supposed to be administered to healthy dogs, and a rashy dog may not be a healthy dog.

Rabies is normally at 4 months, then 1 year and four months, then 4 years and 4 months... so, she shouldn't be due for that.

The core vaccines are also being recommended to be done on this schedule... so, she shouldn't be due for a DHPP, either, if you are choosing to have this done (which, for adult dogs, I do not).

Do you board or go to a training facility which requires vaccines on an inappropriately frequent schedule, or requires bordatella? Live in an area or have a lifestyle which puts your dog at particularly high risk for this or that?

I would not vaccinate this dog until I knew what the rash was. If she is due for vaccines because you see a vet who enjoys poking dogs with sharp objects and fattening his own purse, or who perhaps does not understand the immune system and hasn't read any journals for years, then I would not vaccinate her at all.

·
Always Grateful
6,954 Posts
Agree with mmctag - absolutely no vaccines until your vet does some testing to figure out what is going on. Vaccines are a slam to the immune system and this dog does not need that right now. Often skin problems are a symptom of other problems in the body so make sure your vet does a full workup including thyroid and skin scrapes. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
As far as I know, Preparation H has no anti-fungal activity at all... is there any citation for it being a treatment for ringworm? I Googled some and found nothin'...
Oops I didnt mean preparation H... lamasil is what I was thinking of I believe.. some sort of antifungal cream for athlete's foot as I said.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Oops I didnt mean preparation H... lamasil is what I was thinking of I believe.. some sort of antifungal cream for athlete's foot as I said.
LOL! I wondered if this was a mistake. This is how Urban Myths get started... you said Preparation H, then someone else said Preparation H... pretty soon, Preparation H cures ringworm, just 'cause everybody says it do...

·
_______
5,125 Posts
Like others have said WATCH OUT FOR THOSE VACCINATIONS!!!!!

Please please PLEASE look up "vaccination protocols" in the search function on the forum to read other accounts & reasons why people are very cautious about the amount and timing of vaccinations in our dogs.
I wish I had when we were slammed w/a bunch of vacc's at once and then wondering 2 months later why our red girl was having BURN LIKE RASHES.

Don't let them give your dog a bunch of shots at once.

There is a VERY REAL racket-herd mentality with too many in the medical profession in regard to vaccinations, even with human infants! So very many shots at such young ages and all at once is NOT a good thing. Some of the shots pushed for babies are for bloodborn/sexually transmitted diseases that NO baby in a normal setting would be exposed to!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I slathered Lexi in anti-fungal cream and her rash completely cleared up in less than 24 hours! Wow! I can't believe I didn't think of that before.

I've also decided against vaccinating this year. I can't believe I've never heard of this before - I always thought it was a yearling thing, no exceptions. Thank you for showing me the light.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.