Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Forager
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 6 1/2-month-old pup is an (incorrigible?) digger of holes in dirt and lawn: numerous holes, in some instances, to depths of 1/2 foot to 1 foot. She applies herself with that good-old maniacal Doberman energy.

She is primarily an indoor dog, with occasional outside visits to a 10' X 10' dog run, weather permitting.

In the spring, while keeping her primarily an indoor dog, we plan on fencing a dedicated 40' X 40' section of the side yard for training and solitary play. However, we would like to address the issue of digging now, to preclude her tearing up the entire area and ingesting a lot of dirt and worms.

Anyone dealt with the problem of digging?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Here are a couple of things I did to keep my dogs from digging..
One- put their poop in the hole or holes, that will keep them from digging it any deeper
Two, if your dog has a special spot it want to dig- remove a few inches of dirt and put chicken wire down then replace the dirt.. this is also good in gardens and flower beds where cats seem to want to do their business.
Three- if you are going to have dry weather for a few days, sprinkle the ground with a mixture of black pepper and cayanne pepper in the special spots that your dogs is digging
Four- take a small wadding pool or build a small low sided wooded box and fill it with clean dirt and teach your dog that digging is for that place only. It helps if you place a few favorite toys under the dirt for your dog to find.
I know that my dogs were all diggers for a while and kind of grew out of it after a while. Good luck!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts