Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am brand new to the site but I figured that this might be of some interest. I have a 2 yr old named tyson. His weight varies between 80-85lbs. He is very very active and excels in all form of excercise. He has great drive, stamina, and a great body to go along with it. I have never seen a doberman that is as stout as tyson in the shoulders. We run quite a bit together and engage in lots of outdoor activities. I have been researching supplements to include in his diet which would improve his already high energy and help him get all the nutrients he needs. This is the one I am going to go with:
http://www.k9power.com/peak.htm

I am going to try it for 2 months and document the results. I will be weighing him 2 times a week to gauge his progress. I am also going to be taking pics of his coat as a couple people using this product have noticed a large difference in the dogs coat before and after.

Results I am looking for:
increased muscle mass
increased energy
improvement to his coat

I plan on using the recomended doesage for my dogs weight as per the label. From what I know of the human body the best time to uptake a supplement like this is right after excercise. The reason being that the blood is flowing at an increased rate which would speed the absorbtion of nutrients into the body. I plan on giving Tyson his serving right after his "workout". From what I understand when mixed with water it creates a gravy like consistency. Tyson loves gravy so we shall see how that works.

Tyson's daily food is made by SOLID GOLD, it's called Wolf King and it is made with Bison and salmon meal. I have fed Tyson Solid Gold products from the start and I stand by them 100%. I have a pet food bowl that dispenses the food as he eats it. I like the fact that he can eat whenever he wants and doesn't feel the need to wolf down his food as it is always there.

http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=62&code=170

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Hi there and welcome.

I looked at that supplement and I found there to be alot of sodium. Based on your dogs weight he would be getting over 288 mg of sodium per serving !
IMO, this is excessive. Also, why not add extra protein like chicken, beef, pork etc... to his diet and a multi vitamin it would be waaaay cheaper than feeding this supplement. I find the dobie already looks muscular and especially with alot of excerise. Why do you want even more muscle mass ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sodium huh? That is one thing i didn't notice! Any multi vitamin you recomend?? i think tyson could be a little more filled out if his protein uptake was increased. he gets so much excercise that he doesn't add any weight at all. I'm not looking to add 10lbs, Maybe 2-5lbs. What is the best meat I can give him to reach this goal?? Salmon?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Not to mention the guaranteed MINIMUM 29% fat. Your Wolf King kibble has a guaranteed minimum 9% fat. How do you plan to determine if the "bulking up" is muscle or fat? Most of the "performance ingredients" gibberish they spout is stuff that's already in your Wolf King, if you'll read the ingredients label. Personally, I shy away from anyone who makes unsubstantiated nutriceutical claims (fungal cellulase?) and of "proprietary" information that can't be given out. Do you know exactly what your dog will be ingesting and how much? What does this stuff offers you that wouldn't be accomplished by 1) an additional meal of his regular Wolf King; or 2) the addition of lean, cooked human-grade meat (roast chicken, beef, pork, etc.), along with a regular human multi-vitamin? Speedster, I know you want to do all you can for Tyson and give him the very best of everything. We all do the same thing. But I have to agree with Okie that your dog appears to be in excellent shape right now and well, IMHO, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. On the other hand it will make YOU a lot lighter (in the wallet, that is). The bottom line--there is a lot of big talk in this ad. Where is the scientific proof to back up any of it? Just don't let your good parental instincts be taken advantage of by hype. JMHO.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sooz that is just what I wanted to know. i have only been on here 2 days but have gained tons of useful info!!! I don't have set meals for tyson at all. He has a food dispensor that he eats from whenever he wants. What might be a good plan of action to follow as far as giving him human grade foods to supplement his diet? Would lean beef or chicken be the best?? Also, I can give him a human multi vitamin?? It never occured to me.lol

·
Banned
675 Posts
There is a difference between giving him "human grade" supplements and giving him human type vitamins. There are a lot of vitamins on the market for dogs, if you feel the need to give him a vitamin, use those. Vitamins made for humans have different qualities than for dogs, they have different needs.

If you want to give him a supplement such as fish oil, for instance , you can buy them made for pets, or you can buy them made for humans. It's recommended to use the ones made for humans, because the ingredient is the same, but more care is taken in making something intended for humans, so the quality should be better.

But honestly I don't think he probably needs any supplements. You can go to any pet store and buy him Pet Tab vitamins, they're tasty, dogs think of them as treats, and I don't think they do any harm. I've given them over the years, now and then, but mostly I don't give them. When I have given them I never saw any difference in the dogs' condition or health, it just made me feel that I was doing something positive.

I gave fish oile capsules for about a year. My Doberman loved them, I just handed him a capsule and he swallowed it. But he never acted any better, and his coat never looked any better, so I stopped giving them.

If you're feeding a good quality food, which I hear Wolf King is, your dog shouldn't need supplements. I have a 10 month old Doberman puppy who is now eating Innova. When he's finished growing, I'm going to switch him to Innova Evo and see how he does on that. I've heard that Evo and Wolf King are similar but I'll have to go read about Wolf King to check it out.

You seem to be talking about two different things in reagrd to your boy. Muscle and fat. You can give him supplements or additional food to put weight on him, but that's not muscle. As far as I know there is no supplement to put muscle on, except for steroids. I mean, look at Barry Bonds, if there was such a non steroidal supplement, I imagine he would have taken it.

A two year old male Doberman isn't completely fililed out yet, he will fill out more as he matures. But if you think he's really too thin, and it's caused by his activiy level, you can increase his food, that will add weight, "bulk", but not muscle. Muscle is developed. I saw a Doberman bitch who did an lot of weight pulling, and she looked like the equivalent of a human body builder. I didn't like it tho, it looked too extreme, and not like a Doberman should look.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
i agree 100%! dobermans are not pitbulls and shouldn't be too ripped and overly bulky. I lift weights on a regular basis as well as follow a high protein/low fat diet. I'm just wondering if dobermans bodies work the same way we do(humans) in the respect that with increased levels of activity there is an increase in muscle breakdown? In short, would more protein be beneficial to Tyson as he is an extremely active dog?

I have seen ratio's on the back of various foods for some time but have not fully understood what was optimum. Solid gold has a new food for "performane" dogs and I am wondering how it's numbers compare to the solid gold food he is on now?
New formula:
http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=81&code=120

Formula he is on now:
http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=62&code=170

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Many adolescent Dobermans are gangly and sometimes gawky as they are going through their growth stages. No need to “bulk” him up. He doesn’t sound way too skinny or unhealthy. He actually sounds like he is at a good weight.

I have a male who went through a very skinny stage because he was a very active Doberman adolescent and I did worry because he did not look good or healthy at the low weight and it was cause for concern. But that doesn’t sound like the case here.

Give him time, let him be, and let him grow at his own pace. He is a young dog. No need to hurry and rush to “bulk” him up with more muscle mass. He is still maturing and will fill out as he grows up.

I agree, the breed should look elegant and well muscled and does with regular exercise, but they should not look like a weight pulling Pit Bull, that just makes them appear awkwardly proportioned.

I also agree with Sooz, sounds like the supplement advertised is mostly hype and there are much healthier options for Tyson’s diet and better ways to put on extra weight (which I don’t think it needed in this case).

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
I wouldn't really focus on bulking him up, like the others have said. Too much muscle mass would hinder the gracefulness of their strides and mobility. By having a good outdoor activity routine and getting plenty of rest between these, is ideal for keeping your doberman in shape. You just do not want to over do it. My girl loves frisbee and wants to keep catching air, but I do monitor this activity and do give her joint supplements to assist with this. By them just having an active lifestyle will keep them in great shape.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
The new solid gold "Barking at the Moon" is not intended for every day feeding. Alot of dogs will lose weight on that food because it causes their internal temperature to rise so much. It is 48% Protein. IMHO, that is extreme. (By the way, they have changed the protein amount several times since it came out)

I am a huge fan of Solid Gold Products, that is all my dogs get, treats and everything. I would switch to Millennia before I switched to Barking at the Moon. Barking is intended to be fed as a performance formula started 2 weeks prior to an event, and then switched off, to Millennia afterward as an every day food.

Also, Millenia is a beef based food, whereas WolfKing is not. WolfKing is the large breed formula, it also has the 2nd lowest protein/fat of any of their foods. The only one lower is Holistiquez, meant for overweight/senior dogs.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I haven't considered supplements as yet, I just try and make sure Java's diet is balanced, and do a stool check (yard detail) to make sure things are going smoothly. I've been adding brown rice (1/4 c max), arctic canned salmon, chicken meat I've used to make stock, parboiled carrots, even a bit of sweet potato mixed in with about a cup of good quality kibble at each meal. Am trying to keep processed foods out of her diet (and ours, for that matter).

Not too concerned about having Java bulk up at this point. Being female she is not going to be as broad thru the chest as the male. I find that exercise is the key - a good run every day to keep those muscles rippling under that shiny coat. She is such a supermodel - hehehe...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts