Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As it says. Looking good for me!
Looking around for any decent breeders, with possible performance dogs, who don't charge an arm and a leg for a crap dog.
I'm not so interested in a pup. Adults are great, you can see the grown dogs structure, can see results from health tests. Adults you can get a feel of before you bring em home. Love it.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Welcome! Have you checked local rescues? Unfortunately a lot of dobes turn up in rescues because they are high energy (what you want but a lot of people don't).

I agree with you on getting an adult, you know what you're getting and don't have to deal with all the puppy housebreaking and teething! :D

When I got Hades there was another Doberman at the rescue that was CGC certified and just a gorgeous dog. Very high energy though (not what I was looking for). He was given up bc his former family had a new baby and didn't have time for the dog anymore. :(

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Reactions: kibafang90

·
Got mutt?
13,643 Posts
ADAMAS in Georgia (I think) is said to be a good breeder of performance Dobes. DT member Adara has one of their dogs, and is very happy with her.

·
Shake n' Bake
839 Posts
Where are you located? Wende Call of Quartet Dobermans in Ohio has a 2 year old male looking for a home from her previous litter. He is AKC pointed, has his UKC CH, and needs a performance home!!

·
joie de vivre
11,198 Posts
Lyndobe in Michigan produces a lot of good dogs with performance sport titles. I don't know how often she has adults available for rehome though.

I hear about a lot of Smack Dab Dobes with performance sport titles, too. Smack Dab is in Illinois.

Though I'm not sure what you consider to be "charging an arm and a leg" or what you consider to be a "crap dog".

·
Registered
409 Posts
Welcome! Have you checked local rescues? Unfortunately a lot of dobes turn up in rescues because they are high energy (what you want but a lot of people don't).

I agree with you on getting an adult, you know what you're getting and don't have to deal with all the puppy housebreaking and teething! :D

When I got Hades there was another Doberman at the rescue that was CGC certified and just a gorgeous dog. Very high energy though (not what I was looking for). He was given up bc his former family had a new baby and didn't have time for the dog anymore. :(

I second looking at your local rescues!!

(btw... Hades is SO handsome.)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where are you located? Wende Call of Quartet Dobermans in Ohio has a 2 year old male looking for a home from her previous litter. He is AKC pointed, has his UKC CH, and needs a performance home!!
That sounds lovely. I'm in the middle of retiring my current dog. I am getting her adjusted to staying home, instead of coming to work with me.

I'm letting her take the time she needs to adjust to her changing life.
I will most likely look into bringing home a dog early 2014, or 2015.

Thank you for your help and kindness!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I second looking at your local rescues!!

(btw... Hades is SO handsome.)
Though it IS possible.. I don't believe a rescue would be the best idea unfortunately. My dog needs to be solid enough in temperament to ride packed trains, cabs with autistic children, rest on the floor through shouting adults in walkers.
I need a dog that can stand up to constant activity and physical stress. A regular day is jam packed full of activities that require a dog of decent structure.
A regular day starts at 6 am. And ends at 11pm. It is full of running after trains. Heeling for hours at times, through crowded malls and parks. Agility, obedience, dock diving, flyball on the weekends and weekdays if we get enough time in.
I'm not saying its impossible to find a nice dog from a shelter. But, it is much "safer" to have a breeder to help with any issues. And have the dogs health "backed up", by health tests, and decent breeding.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good luck. Are you sure you don't want a lab?
We are never, ever ever....getting a lazy bitchy foody Lab. You couldn't pay me enough.
I have considered a dutch shepherd, belgian malinois, and a border collie.
They are best suited for me, the tasks i ask of them, my lifestyle, and most importantly my "training personality" or training methods.
But, i am in love with the doberman. And love conquers all...

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Though it IS possible.. I don't believe a rescue would be the best idea unfortunately. My dog needs to be solid enough in temperament to ride packed trains, cabs with autistic children, rest on the floor through shouting adults in walkers.
I need a dog that can stand up to constant activity and physical stress. A regular day is jam packed full of activities that require a dog of decent structure.
A regular day starts at 6 am. And ends at 11pm. It is full of running after trains. Heeling for hours at times, through crowded malls and parks. Agility, obedience, dock diving, flyball on the weekends and weekdays if we get enough time in.
I'm not saying its impossible to find a nice dog from a shelter. But, it is much "safer" to have a breeder to help with any issues. And have the dogs health "backed up", by health tests, and decent breeding.
Totally understand. Whew I got tired reading about your day! :D

Good luck! I'm sure the right dobe will come along when you're ready!! At which time we will expect lots of pictures ;)

Reactions: kibafang90

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
We are never, ever ever....getting a lazy bitchy foody Lab. You couldn't pay me enough.
They are best suited for me, the tasks i ask of them, my lifestyle, and most importantly my "training personality" or training methods.
Please expound on your training methods. It might better help us match you with a breeder...

·
Banned
948 Posts
Our family friend had a Police K9 that was equal to any GSD or Mal when on the job- and I mean full energy, focused, and scare the s**t out of anyone- and it was a black Lab.

The officer called him his "secret weapon" because no one would ever have thought that this happy Lab could turn into a barking, intimidating Police K9.

'Just saying....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Not to be rude people.
But i'm not coming out from nowhere. I have worked for breeders. I have online connection with plenty of knowledgeable handlers, breeders, trainers..
None of them interested in the dobe sadly.. Actually, not many people are even interested in dobes for performance such as agility, and flyball and such.. Not that i don't understand them. Dobes aren't oftenly your "go to dogs" when looking for an "all around" performance dog. (most just run right over to the border, mal, dutch, aussie, GSD,) And decent dobes can be difficult to find. Or what i find to be "decent."
Though i have a friend with 2 nice working dobes. Euro lines. Quality dogs, nice imports... But i'm not importing. I'm not rich. And unless i somehow get a dobe from the trainer i'm looking to shadow in the future, i'm not getting my hands on an import.
I'm not here to chat about irrelevant matters, and be questioned about everything that has very little to do with the subject. I'm here to get some facts, advice, knowledge from working handlers, performance handlers, trainers, and decent breeders on this site.
Don't mean to offend anybody. But this site is far different from any other site i have ever been on. And i have only been here for a little bit.
Just thought i would come over to a dobermann site, seeing as im interested in a dobe..

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Our family friend had a Police K9 that was equal to any GSD or Mal when on the job- and I mean full energy, focused, and scare the s**t out of anyone- and it was a black Lab.

The officer called him his "secret weapon" because no one would ever have thought that this happy Lab could turn into a barking, intimidating Police K9.

'Just saying....
I have also seen a Boxer herd! Better than any border i have ever met! No lie!
This was back in 05. Wonder if he is still alive..

·
Registered
726 Posts
Not to be rude people.
But i'm not coming out from nowhere. I have worked for breeders. I have online connection with plenty of knowledgeable handlers, breeders, trainers..
None of them interested in the dobe sadly.. Actually, not many people are even interested in dobes for performance such as agility, and flyball and such.. Not that i don't understand them. Dobes aren't oftenly your "go to dogs" when looking for an "all around" performance dog. (most just run right over to the border, mal, dutch, aussie, GSD,) And decent dobes can be difficult to find. Or what i find to be "decent."
Though i have a friend with 2 nice working dobes. Euro lines. Quality dogs, nice imports... But i'm not importing. I'm not rich. And unless i somehow get a dobe from the trainer i'm looking to shadow in the future, i'm not getting my hands on an import.
I'm not here to chat about irrelevant matters, and be questioned about everything that has very little to do with the subject. I'm here to get some facts, advice, knowledge from working handlers, performance handlers, trainers, and decent breeders on this site.
Don't mean to offend anybody. But this site is far different from any other site i have ever been on. And i have only been here for a little bit.
Just thought i would come over to a dobermann site, seeing as im interested in a dobe..
I don't think anyone was taking a stab at you. Keep in mind we don't have all this background info you already know about yourself. I think people are just trying to be as helpful as possible.

You don't have to import to get a good quality European lined Doberman. There are quite a few "performance" breeders out there that breed European lines or their other working lines (ps- when do we have our own American working lines?? Ha)

In the US:
Koby Haus
Landgraf
vom Luka
Incredible Dobermans
Kye
First Stryk
Cara
Pontiffhaus
Swift Run
Masaya
von Moellerhof
dei Dohse

Just to name a few...

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Not to be rude people.
I agree sometimes people come to get simple questions and people try to find something to tear apart. Good for you for standing up for yourself.

That said this site can be very helpful especially regarding finding a good dobe from working lines. Hopefully some of the people with knowledge in that area will chime in.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts