Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need advice on fixing a sit. I have an older show boy working on CD. He backs into a sit instead of walking into one. Makes his comes and heal sits really far away. Any tricks?

·
Registered
370 Posts
LOL, my girl used to do this, It just took a bit of training, Had a harness on her, told her to sit and I wouldnt let her back up, I just helped her by pushing down on her bottom, and over time she got it. I also wanted to train her to go from a laying down position into a sit without her standing and THEN sitting, so when she was laying down in the Sphinx position, I tell her to sit, hold her butt in one place so the only option was for her to " walk" her front legs backwards until she was in the sitting position.

·
Registered
990 Posts
When I do a recall, I always back up as they are running in so they have to come forward. I also start with my treat low and bring it up to my waist when they come in to lure their head up.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I didn't use a harness but I essentially did the same thing for my boy. I'd hold onto his collar so he couldn't back up - he got it eventually.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
The instructor taught us this in class. She said to practice the bunny hop sit as I call it. Then use it with fronts and heeling using extremely small steps. I cant not drop a treat to save my life!

FjEWusWVXlk&list=UUd2dgnS1cjV7qWw_r0Nd44A&index=5&feature=plcp

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
The instructor taught us this in class. She said to practice the bunny hop sit as I call it. Then use it with fronts and heeling using extremely small steps. I cant not drop a treat to save my life!

I LIKE THIS a lot :) Gabby wakls back into her sit also and when I tried to teach a sit as an end for her aframe it did not work because I couldn't get her to sit right.

Reactions: Herb2relax

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts

This is very similar to what I do with my girls but we call them skip-sits. I started against a wall with the dog seated in heel position, cupping a chunky treat in my hand and holding it over their nose to keep their head up and forward, then I skip-step forward and the dog skip-sits forward, mark, reward, repeat. I've phased out treats gradually and I paired the term "fix it" with it so now if they sit a little out of position, I can say "fix it" and they scoot into position. We also no longer have to do it against a wall because the dogs understand the motion is straight forward, no sloppy sitting and not facing me or swinging their bums out an angle.

It's also a good exercise to build rear leg and core muscles.

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Just wanted to add, I used Herb2Relax's video about 2 months ago (maybe less?) and it worked perfectly! Zeus was absolutely terrible about it too. I would do this a couple times during the day for a literally 30 seconds, and then moved it to the heel position. If he legs back in heel on the sit, i can just put my hand down in front of his face (like in the same method) and he'll 'hop' back to the appropriate spot.

I also used Lelise's method of drawing them in on the fronts. My trainer teaches that was as well

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
I would coax Amy with my voice (come-come-come-come) - if she looked like she was getting ready to stop and sit...too far ahead of me.
(my voice got quite, when it was appropiate for Amy to park herself...my verbal signal, for her having the appropiate distance...was silence)
- then I kissed her on the top of the nose, for being good...and doing as Dad asked
- she got the message, and learned from my voice clues

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Lol Maggie he isn't the brightest dobe. Lol this ma take a bit!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies, some of this I have been trying already. Herb2relax I started this method and already working great, TY. EJ, I just need to train out 7 years of conformation obedience but I do think he is rather smart just Old and Lazy, lol. He likes to follow lure with his eyes instead of actually move (OH show dogs) but we are getting there.

·
Amanda Albretsen
34 Posts
Teach the dog to touch a target pad with its two front feet. You can use something elevated off the ground like an upside down dog food bowl so it is easy for the dog to know the difference of being on the ground versus the target pad. You can do this by clicking the dog looking at the bowl, taking a step towards the bowl, bumping the bowl, putting a foot on the bowl, etc. until the dog is getting both feet on the bowl. It's all shaping. To release to dog from the bowl, just toss a cookie away. You could give a release word like "ok" too.

Once the dog clearly knows the behavior of putting it's front feet on the bowl, you can add a verbal word to this - like "Touch." Once the dog is doing the touch behavior well, make the target smaller and smaller to the ground. I usually put a tupperware lid on top of the bowl, then remove the bowl after a couple sessions so the lid is on the ground and the dog still does the touch behavior.

By that time, You can easily tell the dog to "Touch" and then "Sit." The dog will be so conditioned to keeping it's front feet on the target pad because it has gotten lots of cookies for it that he should move his back feet in towards the front feet.

Then just keep practicing the sit with the touch pad. Once the dog is 100% doing the sit correctly, doing a couple sits with the touch pad, then remove the touch pad and do a couple without it. It's muscle memory so basically you want to do enough repetitions the right way so his body remembers.

It's easy work because you can do it in your living room for his meals. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Teach the dog to touch a target pad with its two front feet. You can use something elevated off the ground like an upside down dog food bowl so it is easy for the dog to know the difference of being on the ground versus the target pad. You can do this by clicking the dog looking at the bowl, taking a step towards the bowl, bumping the bowl, putting a foot on the bowl, etc. until the dog is getting both feet on the bowl. It's all shaping. To release to dog from the bowl, just toss a cookie away. You could give a release word like "ok" too.

Once the dog clearly knows the behavior of putting it's front feet on the bowl, you can add a verbal word to this - like "Touch." Once the dog is doing the touch behavior well, make the target smaller and smaller to the ground. I usually put a tupperware lid on top of the bowl, then remove the bowl after a couple sessions so the lid is on the ground and the dog still does the touch behavior.

By that time, You can easily tell the dog to "Touch" and then "Sit." The dog will be so conditioned to keeping it's front feet on the target pad because it has gotten lots of cookies for it that he should move his back feet in towards the front feet.

Then just keep practicing the sit with the touch pad. Once the dog is 100% doing the sit correctly, doing a couple sits with the touch pad, then remove the touch pad and do a couple without it. It's muscle memory so basically you want to do enough repetitions the right way so his body remembers.

It's easy work because you can do it in your living room for his meals. Good luck! :)
I wish I had done this before I taught pivoting. LOL Now all she does when I want her to step on a target is spin!

·
Registered
974 Posts

Thank you SO much for putting this on here, this is why I am so happy I joined this forum. Sometimes the information you gain is just priceless as people have experience dealing with the same or similar Doberissues. Odin is a colossal pain in the backside for moving backwards into a sit. He will sometimes take upto 5 steps back before sitting so I suddenly have 10ft of space between me and him. I will be drilling this into him tomorrow will all my might until he just puts his ass on the floor without having to create distance first!! :thanx:

·
Registered
959 Posts
I've used a toy (ball, tug, whatever) held at waist level while the dog comes to me, then raised the toy to my chin level just as he comes into the sit. That brings him right up close eliminating any issue with backing up.

Someone posted a video (I believe it was Pitts) where he capitalized on the Dobermann's propensity for nose pokies. He had the dog do a nose pokie as it sat. I've experimented with this and it works for bringing the dog in close too.

·
Registered
959 Posts
It also sounds like you could benefit by getting him to sit faster. If he is backing up several steps that is a lot of lag time from "sit" until his rear in on the ground. Try working on an instant response to the "sit" command by starting from the beginning and marking/rewarding the instant his butt touches the ground. If you can condition a quicker response then backing up will be less of an issue.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I know this post was from a few months ago but I couldn't help but add. I took a cusion from our dining room chairs which was the perfect size for him to sit square on it and clicker trained him to sit on it. Them I would place them around the house or in the yard and when heeling I would place myself right beside it so he had no choice but to perfectly sit beside me. I would also use it for recalls so he wouldn't sit 5 feet in front of me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts