Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calvin is just over a year old. Sometimes when he's frightened by someone he'll pee. For example, this morning the garbage man was bringing the recycle bin back up the walk and he pee'd. Also, on Halloween when I put on a big wig he got scared and pee'd. This has happened two other times, approximately, and I can't recall the specifics but the circumstances were similar.

What do you guys think, is this normal? Is it because he's still pretty young? Or is he just not very brave? Anything that I can do?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
He needs a confidence boost. Enroll him in obedience classes, take him with you while you do your errands, pick up a sport he might enjoy. Does he have any play dates with other dogs? Maybe go on a 'pack' walk through a busy town.

On the medical side: How often does he pee? What colour is it? Is it a steady stream, or does it spurt everywhere?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's done obedience. He's a canine good citizen. He consistently runs errands with us and does wonderfully in stores or where there is a big crowd. He goes to the dog park all of the time and plays very well with other dogs.

This only happens in the house. In the house, he's way more alert barking when he hears noises or sees animals or people outside.

He needs a confidence boost. Enroll him in obedience classes, take him with you while you do your errands, pick up a sport he might enjoy. Does he have any play dates with other dogs? Maybe go on a 'pack' walk through a busy town.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the medical side, he pees probably five times a day on average. Yes, it's a steady stream and it ranges in color from yellow to clear. Usually it's pretty clear.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
On the medical side, he pees probably five times a day on average. Yes, it's a steady stream and it ranges in color from yellow to clear. Usually it's pretty clear.

Hmm sometimes 'clear' is not a good sign. It could mean his kidneys are not properly flushing out the toxins, not because he is well hydrated. Then again, this is very rare in young dogs (if it does occur, genetics is usually to blame).

I would suggest confidence boosting in the house then. Redirect his attention to you when something scares him. Do some obedience while recycling is being put away.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I would say the same, if I remember, you were recently asking about doing schutzund? If he pees because the garbage man walks in the yard, you're going to have your work cut out for you in terms of building confidence. Hey may not have the temperement for it, so I would just keep that in the back of your mind. There's still time before you would want to do a wae, but def. some confidence building is needed.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any suggestions? because saying that he's probably not cut out for something isn't particularly helpful.

I would say the same, if I remember, you were recently asking about doing schutzund? If he pees because the garbage man walks in the yard, you're going to have your work cut out for you in terms of building confidence. Hey may not have the temperement for it, so I would just keep that in the back of your mind. There's still time before you would want to do a wae, but def. some confidence building is needed.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
First, I would rule out any medical issues...

When Sam was younger and we heard the garbage truck arrive, I used to make it a fun thing. I'd say "oh that silly garbage truck is here" in my high pitched mom voice. When he was good and not barking, he received a yummy treat. Today, he could care less about the garbage truck :)

If there's a set time the garbage truck arrives, have some yummy treats ready. Have him focus on you and mark his good behavior with your marker word and treat. I use "yes" as my marker word.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
What do you guys think, is this normal? Is it because he's still pretty young? Or is he just not very brave? Anything that I can do?
I'd say he needs more confidence building, positive training, scent work, fun agility class, etc. He may need to learn how to "rebound" a tiny bit better in certain circumstances.

and I agree with the above post.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Not normal, He is past any fear period, Very possible he is just not a very confident dog, you can do as people have mentioned and do confidence building exercises. But realize your dog may not be an overly confident dog. Not the end of the world, just be cautious about the situations he is exposed to. The more he gets scared like this the more scared he may become.

Just realize all the confidence building in the world may not help or it may totally turn him around. Point being is don't expect something from the dog he does not have the confidence to handle. This type of thing will be a slow process. Its slow even when doing it with a very young puppy, I imagine it is slower with a dog who has already showed it is timid. Good Luck.

·
sandy2233
2,461 Posts
I would suggest nose work if you can find a class. The dogs are in the vincinity of other dogs but work alone. Anything that can make an outing FUN is what confidence building is. CGC is good but an obedience class would mean more socialization for him. You have to have a very confident dog to pass WAE. At this point in time, I don't think Em could and she's very social. Coming to work the other day, when it was below 0, a man was holding the door open to the clinic for me and M did not want to get between he and I. No growling or barking, just not sure of the this thing dressed in coveralls and a face mask. And she walks into this clinic every day. Good Luck!

·
Registered
609 Posts
I would suggest nose work if you can find a class. The dogs are in the vincinity of other dogs but work alone. Anything that can make an outing FUN is what confidence building is. CGC is good but an obedience class would mean more socialization for him. You have to have a very confident dog to pass WAE. At this point in time, I don't think Em could and she's very social. Coming to work the other day, when it was below 0, a man was holding the door open to the clinic for me and M did not want to get between he and I. No growling or barking, just not sure of the this thing dressed in coveralls and a face mask. And she walks into this clinic every day. Good Luck!
Unrelated to this just had to bring it up.

Yes you have to have a somewhat confident dog to pass the WAE, but it has no relation to a dog actually being a good sport dog. Many, Many great sport dogs would not pass a WAE for whatever reason(usually some dumb crap but none the less). Many dogs who pass the WAE would run scared from a helper/decoy. WAE is a fun test and does show some of a dogs character, but it is not a tell all of a dogs temperament and character.

I didn't elaborate on this to take away from your post SANDY, you gave god advice and were correct in what you said. Its just that the OP has mentioned in other threads he/she is interested in Schutzhund.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts