Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back my sister came home to find that her couch had pee on it. The suspects were her Rat terrier, my Dobe, or my cat. And I am pretty sure it was my Allegreto. Needless to say she was upset and thought that it was her dog. I did not tell her of my suspicions because at the time we were at odds with one another. We live together and tonight we were watching TV in my part of the house and she felt something wet soak into her jeans. My couch had been peed on. We used the Natures Miracle Spray to clean it up. Allegreto is 4 and half months and is potty trained well. I was just wondering if anyone knows why a dog would do this and how to discourage it. Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No he is not neutered yet. I guess I didn't think of spraying. He grew up so fast, I can't believe he was ever smaller than my sister's rat terrier. Thanks for the very informative link. Now on to the big decision of when to neuter. And I did see that thread! A lot to think about.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Is it the seat of the couch that is peed on? Your puppy is awfully young to mark (although it isn't impossible), but marking will take place on upright surfaces, not flat surfaces. Also, if your puppy is not hiking his leg to pee, he is not marking.

Either dog could be experiencing incontinance. Perhaps both should be checked for UTI's as a first step.

If there is urine on the seat of a couch and there is a cat present, my first guess would be the cat. Cats with urinary tract issues (crystals, stones, blockages) will preferentially pee on soft surfaces like beds or piles of laundry or carpet.

My advice is to figure out which animal is doing this, and get that animal to the vet. If you cannot figure it out quickly, take the cat in and have him seen... kitties with urinary tract issues can find themselves in medical trouble quickly. If the cat's O.K., take your pup in to be checked for a UTI. The other dog would be your sister's responsibility, I am assuming.

·
Nub Enthusiast
392 Posts
Is it a leather couch? One of our cats peed on our leather couch. Upon internet research, we found this is a pretty common behavior.

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Find out who is causing the crime before making decisions.

just my opinion. No sense fixing something that isn't broken.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts