Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon all..!!

I have a very handsome doberman.. and we have an awesome special loving relationship. He is 5 months old. He for the last two months has been real swell.. for most of time .. except for the twice weird out of the norm behavior where he would run around my room and then get inside the cage to pee in it. It is like he knows he shouldnt have had done it because soon after he.. will either run to a corner sit and the with his chin down look at me from the top of his eyes to see my reaction.. or run n hide behind my chair and do the same.

The new problem is my female housemate. He can just sense her and he will go all nuts. He will listen to me like for 10 seconds and then go bonkers again. He sleeps with me on my bed and ever since she moved back in a few days ago, he has already peed on the bed 2 times. Both after meeting her. I have no idea what gets into him or why? Its like what the hell is going on? He has not peed on the bed for the last couple of months. we have a routine .. everyday morning 5 .. he wakes up .. and i along with him.. he pees.. and take a crap.. then jumps on the bed.. i clean it up... and then we go to sleep again.. then i wake up a few hours later brush my teeth.. make breakfast etc.. he is still in bed.. then when im dressing he does his routine again.. the same.. i clean up... he back in the cage.. i go to school come back home 2 hours later and then its just him and me. No problems.. till.. she moved back in..he doesnt pee on the bed instantly.. but in like 1/2 hour or an hour.. the thing is he knows.. what he should and should not be doing for the most part..!!!

Please help..!! I love this guy.. and i dunno what to do? I cant handle this nonsense.. I play with him enough .. that he sleeps.. he gets his exercise..i feed him the best food.. has plenty of toys.. just dont know why this problem.!!!

Please please please help..!!

·
Premium Member
10,274 Posts
Good Afternoon all..!!

I have a very handsome doberman.. and we have an awesome special loving relationship. He is 5 months old. He for the last two months has been real swell.. for most of time .. except for the twice weird out of the norm behavior where he would run around my room and then get inside the cage to pee in it. It is like he knows he shouldnt have had done it because soon after he.. will either run to a corner sit and the with his chin down look at me from the top of his eyes to see my reaction.. or run n hide behind my chair and do the same.

The new problem is my female housemate. He can just sense her and he will go all nuts. He will listen to me like for 10 seconds and then go bonkers again. He sleeps with me on my bed and ever since she moved back in a few days ago, he has already peed on the bed 2 times. Both after meeting her. I have no idea what gets into him or why? Its like what the hell is going on? He has not peed on the bed for the last couple of months. we have a routine .. everyday morning 5 .. he wakes up .. and i along with him.. he pees.. and take a crap.. then jumps on the bed.. i clean it up... and then we go to sleep again.. then i wake up a few hours later brush my teeth.. make breakfast etc.. he is still in bed.. then when im dressing he does his routine again.. the same.. i clean up... he back in the cage.. i go to school come back home 2 hours later and then its just him and me. No problems.. till.. she moved back in..he doesnt pee on the bed instantly.. but in like 1/2 hour or an hour.. the thing is he knows.. what he should and should not be doing for the most part..!!!

Please help..!! I love this guy.. and i dunno what to do? I cant handle this nonsense.. I play with him enough .. that he sleeps.. he gets his exercise..i feed him the best food.. has plenty of toys.. just dont know why this problem.!!!

Please please please help..!!
Ron,

You gotta' clarify this for me--at 5 the puppy wakes up and pees and craps--WHERE? And you clean it up--sounds like it's inside--is it? I'm trying to sort out the incidents. And I can't do it.

You should know that even if he is looking hang dog about peeing in the crate the two times and peeing on the bed the two times--it's not because he KNOWS anything except I bet you yelled at him for doing it. THAT's what he'd looking hang dog about.

I absolutely agree with SamandMack'sMom about her take on this. Go back to the basics. No bed priviledges until he's better trained. Crate him at night. If he's really pooping and peeing inside every morning and you have to clean it up every morning I'd really go back to basics--crate at night--at 5 put a leash on him and take him outside. Go back to bed and put him back in the crate.

Keep him in sight at all times--keep him on a leash if necessary--somewhere along the line he doesn't have the house rules straight. Don't let him on the bed and he can't pee on it.

Frankly I figure a 5 month old puppy has about three brain cells to rub together and I never let them out of my sight--where I go they go--including into the bathroom when I take a shower.

It's a giant pain in the patootie but it really pays off--right now what you are getting (in my opinion anyway) is what happens with an inadequetly trained puppy who needs a lot more restraint. Too much freedom and too little training will drive you crazy down the line--particularly if you are going to buy into the idea that he KNOWS what he's supposed to do and isn't doing it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: dobebug

Hey Good Evening. I have wooden floors.. so yes he does everything inside, in my bedroom. It is too cold outside for me to take him for walks.. and the vet said he is too young to be out in such harsh weather conditions.

Ever since i have had him, he has been sleeping with me. I cant crate him when I am sleeping on the bed cause this confuses him at night. He will keep crying till kingdom come and its just sad. I do put him in the cage when I am home and he is fine with it most of the time.. just at night. He does sleep at my feet all the time inside the comforters.. at night.. when he dreams and wakes up.. he comes running to me at times and like holds on to me.. im guess it might be nightmares.. but yeah him not being with me is like pure agony to him.

Like i had mentioned earlier.. never been having issues but only when he interacts with my roommate. We play everyday , eat, sleep.. like .. it was kinda utopia. Thist strange behavior is what i dont get. I mean he always as a puppy did leak a little pee when ever he used to play with her. And in general he is very different in how he behaves with ladies and men.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
So, you allow your dog to eliminate inside the house? That's absurd. How old is your dobe?

Unless I lived in the frozen tundra and was under 20ft of snow, there's no way I would allow my dog/puppy to eliminate inside.

Hey Good Evening. I have wooden floors.. so yes he does everything inside, in my bedroom. It is too cold outside for me to take him for walks.. and the vet said he is too young to be out in such harsh weather conditions.

Ever since i have had him, he has been sleeping with me. I cant crate him when I am sleeping on the bed cause this confuses him at night. He will keep crying till kingdom come and its just sad. I do put him in the cage when I am home and he is fine with it most of the time.. just at night. He does sleep at my feet all the time inside the comforters.. at night.. when he dreams and wakes up.. he comes running to me at times and like holds on to me.. im guess it might be nightmares.. but yeah him not being with me is like pure agony to him.

Like i had mentioned earlier.. never been having issues but only when he interacts with my roommate. We play everyday , eat, sleep.. like .. it was kinda utopia. Thist strange behavior is what i dont get. I mean he always as a puppy did leak a little pee when ever he used to play with her. And in general he is very different in how he behaves with ladies and men.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Omg.
Letting him pee/crap in your den is sending him the wrong message and well, just disgusting for a 5 month old.
Start acclimatizing the dog to whatever weather you have and possibly get a new vet.
Trash the special relationship, cuz you are suppose to be the Master, right now your a littermate and a little brother cuz he is waking you up and he is letting you know what he wants. The table needs to be turned here mate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I think you all have the wrong Image. I live on the 3rd floor.. and the steps are too steep. He wont even come down two steps from my kitchen to the bathroom. Carrying a 26lbs dog everyday a few times, I dont know about you folks, but I cant. I am talking about at the very least 75 steps. He is scared of coming down the stairs, he wont even budge. Heck i dont blame him, humans complain about the steps. At my parents house, where the steps are not this steep, he is fine with coming up and down the stairs and there he is completely house trained. Here, in the city .. this is how it is going to be ,as my lease and school ends in a couple of months, this is what im working with.

Its all wooden floors in my room, and he stays only in my room.

And please, FOCUS on the issue. The issue " WAS " simple, he did something what he did not, and the only foreign stimuli in both the times was my female roommate.

If you do not have an answer.. please do reserve your comments.. cause it doesn't help me.. and i honestly dont have time for nonsense..!!

Thanks..

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Okay I'm focusing, there could be many reasons, the dog peed, maybe its territorial, maybe his jealous, maybe he just doesn't like her.
But you don't want to hear nonsense.
Please explain why a 5 month old male, is 26 lbs? I call a spade a spade and when it comes to the welfare of a dog, call it nonsense but I call that neglect.
I had to double-check but at 3 months my male was 27lbs and he was the runt of the litter.
Either that dog is sick, underfed and not exercised, and or neglected, I call the latter.

you say, that is the way it is going to be, well continuing to let him have one room to sleep in and defecate, then your going to continue to have problems and that is the way it is going to be.
Do you actually think a dog instinctly knows stairs, he has to be taught and they can be taught the slow command, so they can learn walking slow down steep stairs. you grab a bag of treats and teach them one step at a time till they build up confidence.

You can ignore my comments or flame them with your ignorance but please tell me or others why that puppy is 26 lbs.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
You're right, it is nonsense. Until you housetrain your dog not to use your house/room as his personal bathroom, there's really nothing else to discuss.

Why does it matter that he pees on your bed? You allow him to crap on your floor.

I think you all have the wrong Image. I live on the 3rd floor.. and the steps are too steep. He wont even come down two steps from my kitchen to the bathroom. Carrying a 26lbs dog everyday a few times, I dont know about you folks, but I cant. I am talking about at the very least 75 steps. He is scared of coming down the stairs, he wont even budge. Heck i dont blame him, humans complain about the steps. At my parents house, where the steps are not this steep, he is fine with coming up and down the stairs and there he is completely house trained. Here, in the city .. this is how it is going to be ,as my lease and school ends in a couple of months, this is what im working with.

Its all wooden floors in my room, and he stays only in my room.

And please, FOCUS on the issue. The issue " WAS " simple, he did something what he did not, and the only foreign stimuli in both the times was my female roommate.

If you do not have an answer.. please do reserve your comments.. cause it doesn't help me.. and i honestly dont have time for nonsense..!!

Thanks..

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
You're right, it is nonsense. Until you housetrain your dog not to use your house/room as his personal bathroom, there's really nothing else to discuss.

Why does it matter that he pees on your bed? You allow him to crap on your floor.
Your not focusing, the foreign stimuli is the female roommate after all. Maybe the whole issue is her scent and he is just reserving a spot in the bed.
I have to goto bed as I am finding this too funny and its actually serious for the dogs welfare.

·
Nub Enthusiast
392 Posts
With all due respect, it sounds to me like you should have considered your decision to get a Doberman for a much longer time. A dog will not learn to potty in the right place if he's just allowed to go in the house. If you seriously have no way of getting him outside because you live in a 3rd floor apartment, you should have gotten a dog you could carry or waited until you lived somewhere else.

It is not too cold outside for your pup, I promise. Please, please, please try to get him outside to learn to potty. I would hate to see him end up in a shelter because he became an un-housebroken adult dog.

He will never be able to establish where and when it is appropriate to go if he's allowed to sleep and defecate in the same room.

Also, Nubis'sdad is right... 26 lbs is too light for a puppy that age. Kaiser was 54 lbs at 5 months.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Wow..!

Ok.. i had no idea.. when asking for a solution meant.. having the exact timely.. details here.. anyways...

It was a typo .. a month back .. when i took him for his regular check up he was 29lbs. He is not 5 months.. he will become 5 months in a couple of weeks.

No one is going to any shelter. n for all of you .. who " ASSumed " I take him weekly on his 5 hour walks.. that might not be enough that might prime.. that might be a little too much.... but for the next two months this is how it will unfortunately or fortunately have to be.

It is funny how most are ready to assume and condemn...here..!!

Neglect .. I dont think so.. I can assure you.. I spend more on him on a monthly basis than most humans do on themselves.. be that money, time or .. anything else.

Nubis dad.. treats .. and everthing else has been tried.. like i said.. the stairs are a little to steep for him.. if that is for some reason too hard for you to understand.. then i do understand... its not like I have not tried.. I had a 8 month old boxer not ready to climb down these stairs.. so yes.. i do cut my boy some slack..

Sam and macks mom .. It does make sense of what you say If you consider your floor and your bed the same..!! You sure are a genius ..!!

And.. pwncakesauce.. you are correct.. not a lot of thought went into getting him. A few of my friends.. on veterans day decided to get him for me.. and got him..!! But he is here and I assure he is here to stay..!! No matter.. what ..!!!

Infact .. thanks to all of you for your support.. and concern.. it really doesnt matter.. what happened .. happened...

I was just wondering if there was any particular reason as to why something out of the ordinary happened..!!

But yes.. thanks.. n please.. no more.. help.. !! problem is solved..!! If it aint.. i will deal with it..!! Thanks... anyways..!

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Your welcome.
Your "my way, or the highway mentality" Is not going to help your pup.
Good luck with it though.
Roger Out.

·
Got mutt?
13,843 Posts
If you really just absolutely can't take him out, at least teach him to use puppy pads. It's still inside, and still not a great idea, but at least a bit easier to clean. If you can take on a weekly 5 hour walk, despite the weather, why can't you take him out for 15 minutes every few hours to pee and poop? Of course, living in just the one room, don't be surprised if he decides he's bored on day, and eats the beadspread just for the heck of it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
How about we pass these concerns to your landlord, see if he/she/they have any advice. What happend to the 8 month Boxer? House training issue? Why dont you just teach it to go in the toilet like the rest of us Dobie owners. Its really quite easy.

Troll

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well this is rather an odd situation but since you're asking for help here then you may want to open your ears to all the people trying to assist. Now I have a 10 month old pup and live on the 4th floor of a building with hardwood floors and an awful amount of steps (like you) but my dog always goes potty outside because going inside is just not a option. However my boy Persian cat, who is fixed, will pee on my damned bed and it is terrible! This happens every once in a blue moon but he clearly does it out of spite for me cause it typically happens when he gets randomly mad at me. I have gotten a waterproof liner for the bed that helps preserve the mattresses but still I find it so vile that I just about got rid of him a few times.

So now I'm not sure why you are so adament about letting your puppy pee inside or why he is the weight of a beagle but you may want to consider getting your bed a liner and some natures miracle to clean up the mess you are allowing. Oh and by the way if the cold is your concern you can get your dog a jacket, they look like horse blankets and come in a variety of colors and warmth levels. Best advice I can give you without being critical is get your dog a coat, teach him the stairs aren't a monster, and take him to putty outside or you'll be setting yourself up for a lifetime of grief.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
This is really no big deal. All things considered, I imagine that it's going to be about ten minutes before the girlfriend moves back out, and things will be back to eliminating on the floor.

Poor puppy, or clever troll.

Is there a prize for The Weirdest Thread EVER?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
However my boy Persian cat, who is fixed, will pee on my damned bed and it is terrible! This happens every once in a blue moon but he clearly does it out of spite for me cause it typically happens when he gets randomly mad at me.
Cats can be practically unfathomable creatures. However, the preference for urinating on a soft surface (bed, laundry, whatever) is almost always based on a urinary tract issue, and urinary tract issues in cats can be exacerbated or even caused by stress (whatever made him be what you are interpreting as "randomly mad"). Some excellent information on urinary tract issues, litterbox habits, health and nutrition here: Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health... in cats, this is ALL tied together! I would get your cat in to be seen by a vet, preferably one who specializes in cats.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts