Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7 mo old intact male, during the day while we are at work, he is crated for about 4-6 hours. He is constantly peeing in the crate. He is housebroken (can hold it all night long) and I take him out before I go to work. It also seems to be worse if I leave a blanket, or anything soft in the crate, so for now its just hard plastic to sleep on. His crate isn't too big, just big enough to turn around. I am wondering if it is more of a behavior/seperation anxiety issue. Not sure what to do...Please help

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Separation anxiety issue...sounds like it to me.

When your male can be tested alone, for short periods...start adding the minutes.

My dobe would do anything to get out of her crate (as a pup)...she learned to be most perfect (very quickly) and had all the freedom and leather couch comforts...when freedoms opened up.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Separation anxiety issue...sounds like it to me.

When your male can be tested alone, for short periods...start adding the minutes.

My dobe would do anything to get out of her crate (as a pup)...she learned to be most perfect (very quickly) and had all the freedom and leather couch comforts...when freedoms opened up.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I think it could be separation anxiety too...

However, what does he do int he mornings before you crate him? Do you tire him out in any way? Perhaps a long walk, some intense play time, and/or some training sessions would help tire him out.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Um, assuming this is a new behavior, has his vet checked him for a UTI?

Is he still intact? Are you sure this is elimination, or could it be marking behavior?

If you rule out health/hormonal things, I'd be taking a look at his day, his routine, and seeing where I could tweak it to give him more physical exercise and get his mind more tired out as well, prior to crating.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it could be separation anxiety too...

However, what does he do int he mornings before you crate him? Do you tire him out in any way? Perhaps a long walk, some intense play time, and/or some training sessions would help tire him out.
Yes, I take him to the dog park everyday to wear him out, usually for at least an hour, if not the dog park its a long (about a mile) run...I try to do it just before I have to leave for the day, leaving just enough time to feed him his lunch and go potty, then its in the crate. I feel bad because my neighbors have told me they can also hear him crying

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its not necessarily a new problem, I just thought he would grow out of it...assumed he was just having small puppy bladder issues. But he is also peeing (submissive) whenever my boyfriend plays with him (he lives with us) I think we will be seeking a trainer as well, just to be sure we are doing things right, he's sucha good boy most of the time, very bright!:)

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
its not necessarily a new problem, I just thought he would grow out of it...assumed he was just having small puppy bladder issues. But he is also peeing (submissive) whenever my boyfriend plays with him (he lives with us) I think we will be seeking a trainer as well, just to be sure we are doing things right, he's sucha good boy most of the time, very bright!:)
Hmm, sounds like you have several things going on here, then.

I would have his urine checked, just to rule that out. With your vet's blessing, I'd probably also try a cranberry supplement daily, on the grounds it can't really hurt, and might help if he has some subclinical bacterial issues contributing to the peeing behavior.

If you don't have it already, please get the Turid Rugaas book Calming Signals--it will help you and your boyfriend read your pup much, much better, and improve your communication with him. You ought to be able to avoid triggering a submissive pee, if you follow the body language as illustrated in that book.

Meadowcat also started a thread with a video, somewhere on here, demonstrating some of Rugaas' work.

I think getting *the right kind* of trainer is an excellent idea, but since your boy seems kinda anxious and unsure at this stage in his life, please choose extra carefully.

Searching on this site, AFTER reading the "how to choose" article, might be helpful to you guys: Dog Trainer Search

Good luck, please keep us updated.

(Keep forgetting to ask--does he have anything to do in his crate? Stuffed frozen Kong? RMB?)

Reactions: MyBoySarge

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
If you are heavily exercising him immediately before you crate him that could be a culprit as well. After periods of very excited exertion it often takes a while for the bladder to "calm down". I know when my dogs heavily exert themselves their urination is dramatically increased for up to a couple of hours. Mostly I'm sure because of the extra water they drink, and also just because that's part of the body's way of eliminating lactic acid built up during exercise.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you for all of the great suggestions!! I will be doing some more work with him and looking for a good trainer. I do give him toys in his crate chewy bones and he has a kong filled with treats, I need to find some other toys to keep him busy to so that I can rotate them. I will keep you posted on his progress!!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Maiya peed in her crate too. She had Kongs and bones and I tried leaving her bedding out of the crate. Nothing worked. I thought maybe she was marking her crate out of fear when we left her alone. One trainer suggested it was separation anxiety so I did read Patricia McConnell's "I'll Be Home Soon!" booklet but it didn't seem applicable to Maiya's behavior.

She finally stopped the behavior on her own. I'm not even sure what caused her to stop but noticed she was going into her crate more often on her own when I was home with her (door open). Perhaps she learned that her crate was a safe, quiet place to be afterall.

Some other things I have tried: leave lights and a TV or radio (not too loud) on in the room. Do you have a wire crate? If so, partially cover the crate with a crate blanket/cover (assuming it would not make the crate too warm). If you don't use a wire crate, try one instead of your current crate. If you don't already, encourage your dog to go into the crate when you are home and in a nearby room. Give him bones or a Kong in his crate and let him out after short intervals of time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:D Success!! well at least a little, crossing my fingers its a sign of things to come. Sarge stayed home for 2 whole hours, out of his crate, and no pee and no destruction!! I made sure he went out before I left, and picked up anything he might get hurt from or destroy, and he was such a good boy!! So for a reward we went to Petsmart and got a new toy "Kong Wobbler" in hopes this will keep him busy when left alone. Of course he will still need to be exercised beforehand, but I think I will start giving him a little more freedom...I'm so happy! Thank You to everyone, I am still going to read some of the info on Seperatin Anxiety to help him be a happier guy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts