Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone used ever used it? I found one on sale today at Petco and couldn't pass it up. I trim Gunner's nails weekly, but they are still so SHARP! I've heard mixed reviews on the pedipaws and was wondering if any of you had any feedback before I opened it up to use it. Any pointers? Gunner is great about having his nails trimmed so I think he'll be fine with it, but I'll start slow anyways.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I wouldn't use it. I'd take it back from the reviews I've read. I'd go with a regular dremel brand.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I only payed 6 dollars for it....may see if it can just help round off the edges. If not, it should help with the cat.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I have one. The power is crap, the file need to be changed often, and use it without the "guard" thingie that is over the file. That being said... I actually like it. It's so quiet I can use it while Leo naps with his head in my lap. Takes way longer than the dremel, but the no stress part is totally worth it.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Don't be paranoid! Dremels are super easy to use. The best indication that you're close to the quick is on the bottom of the nail. You'll see a small circle start to appear that looks almost wet. That's the quick. Once you get there just round off the edges and you're golden!

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Make sure you slowly introduce the sound and feeling of the dremel however and pair it with AMAZING AND AWESOME things. I know many dogs who are terrified it simply because it's weird and vibrates their foot.

That being said, Pedipaws is ok for smaller dogs with softer nails but with a doberman you'll want a legit dremel tool. You can get a good one at Walmart for about $20-30.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
My daughter used that for Dexter, her terrier but said no way did it have the strength for Kyrah's nails. Now of course since she moved back so close to home and somehow lost it. Dexter, gets his nails done when visiting. Lucky me! When I do his I use a very high rate of treat & praise reward to keep him calm. He still doesnt care for it very much. My three can do it with or without treats.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, so I'm going to buy a Dremel today. Gunner was crawling up on the couch last night and scratched my leg and drew blood. He wasn't meaning to, but his nails are SO sharp. It was a huge scratch and since it was on bare skin, hurt! I keep them trimmed back as much as possible, but obviously that doesn't keep them rounded. He also stays indoors all the time obviously on carpet so they never get worn down naturally. I'm going to give the pedipaws to my inlaws for their schnauzers. They used to have one and loved it but it broke. It's still in the packaging so it can be a Christmas gift ;)

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
If you do a forum search on "dremel" you can find some threads about it being discussed for tips. Also you can stop by a vet clinic or groomers and they can always show you in person how to use it :)

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Olivia, Burns did a you tube on how to use the dremel and trim the dobes nails.....that really helped me. My dobes former owner showed me how but there's nothing like trimming the nails yourself. Take your time and go slow. I take a dog bone as a treat and we go into the bathroom and c lose the door. I start with front paws and rotate because the dremel makes them warm. Sometimes I bend over and sometimes I sit in the floor with her.You will find what is comfortable for you. I'm always praising her and kissing her along the way to make her feel everything is ok............I hope I've helped!!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I used on on Lucy, she would lay on her back and let me do them. Oliver will have no part of it, I take him to the vet to have his done. The guy (tech) does a great job and they don't charge much. Others are correct about the lack of power, if we could do Oliver's I'd buy a dremel. It's quick and you're done. I think the Pedi-paw would be better for a smaller dog.

·
U got some splain' to do
244 Posts
I use it on my small dogs, but Maui will have no part of it. She's not a big fan of having her nails trimmed. It takes 2 of us to hold her and trim.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Okay, so I'm going to buy a Dremel today. Gunner was crawling up on the couch last night and scratched my leg and drew blood. He wasn't meaning to, but his nails are SO sharp. It was a huge scratch and since it was on bare skin, hurt! I keep them trimmed back as much as possible, but obviously that doesn't keep them rounded. He also stays indoors all the time obviously on carpet so they never get worn down naturally. I'm going to give the pedipaws to my inlaws for their schnauzers. They used to have one and loved it but it broke. It's still in the packaging so it can be a Christmas gift ;)
Its well worth the money. Ive had a dremel forever and bought a pedpaw about a year ago to see how it would work. WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY!! Like others have said, it doesnt have enough power to do anything for a big dog. I packed it right up and took it back to the store.

Reactions: Sherryh
1 - 20 of 24 Posts