Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Here is a link that has been posted on here before that could help with checking some of the dobes that you listed http://www.dobermannvereniging.nl
The wantij (prounounced one-tie)dog Jivago is Tia's great great grandfather and has sired many champions unfortunately he died in january but went to a good age,if you go to the DVIN website above i think it is possible to see some of the health checks on some of the dogs you have listed,-Good Luck with whatever puppy you have.

·
4,376 Posts
CoAl-s-Mom said:
The europeans have denied for years that cardio is even a problem for them so an autopsy is rarely performed. Unfortunately that just hurts the breed more.
Well i can't talk for mainland europe but here in the U.K. we recognise DCM as a killer and as such have a program in place for testing,i personally will not breed from Tia if she is not health tested and clear of VWd,DCM,and hip score is good,remembering that DCM is a progressive disease and should be checked annually anyway.

·
4,376 Posts
I am not sure how the test is done because i have not seen it done yet,but i know it is carried out by a canine cardiologist,a breeder who i know and who has helped me no end with Tia even though she is not one of their pups are the one's who i will be consulting with about all the health tests including the one's for DCM,VWd,PHPV.I know that work is being done at Liverpool University to find the gene marker for DCM.I know the problems that are being caused by byb's and there is no way on earth i would try to breed unhealthy dogs because i love dobes too much to see them die young from these problems.There certainly are breeders in this country who do not regognize these problems but that could be said of everywhere,this can only be overcome by teaching people the right way of doing things,i have had dobes for nearly 20 years and i still learn something new all the time,and no doubt i will still be learning 20 years in the future if i am still breathing then,heck if i can still trot a dobe round the ring when i am nearly 70 i will still be showing!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.