Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
CoAl-s-Mom said:
I'm glad to hear that at least in your area they recognize it, but I have read posts on another forum from euro breeders where they totally say it is not in their lines, that it is only an American problem.
This is true. The president of the DV (German doberman club) has even gone on record saying that in the past.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
TracyJo said:
This really surprises me. I read an article not too long ago (will see if I can find it and post it) that discussed how strict Germany is becoming with their breeding laws - odd colored dogs aren't just discouraged in a breeding program, it's illegal! It also discussed how it was illegal to breed dogs with certain hereditary diseases, coat types, and even sizes in different breeds.
My gosh, if they're going to hammer merling in certain breeds, you'd think that they'd do something about something as serious as DCM. But if they refuse to recognize a problem, I guess it's impossible to fix it...
Irresponsible breeding of merle dogs can have some pretty devastating consequences-deaf puppies, puppies born without eyes, etc. It's considered a "lethal" gene when you double up on it. Only very experienced breeders who know their pedigrees and color genetics well should be involved in breeding merles..so strict supervision might not be such a bad thing in that situation.

Additionally, in some breeds merle just suddenly "appeared" one day-and there are strong suspicions this is due to cross breeding, where the merle gene was brought in from another breed. In a situation like that, refusing to register dogs that might not be purebred isn't such a bad idea.

BTW..blue and fawn dobermans are DQ'd in the DV doberman standard, and if I'm not mistaken, they can't be registered in that country.

In general, there are definite pro's and con's to the German breed warden system. There are a lot of other rules about how many puppies a bitch can raise, all puppies having to be tattooed shortly after birth, etc. It's a system that works for them, and something that would never work in this country.

The Europeans are gradually having to admit that DCM isn't just an American disease, that it's an equal opportunity killer worldwide. I'm pretty sure I read not too long ago that plans for the future in the DV involve requiring cardiac evaluations for all dobermans used for breeding. But Germany is just one European country-lots of others don't have stringent requirements about breeding.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
TracyJo said:
I was just saying that I thought it was odd that they were so strict about some things and (apparantly, according to those who say they don't recognize DCM as a problem) complacent about others.
Oh, I "got" what you were saying, and didn't think you were complaining about their system.

The point I was trying to make is there generally is a good reason for most of their restrictions; they're not just arbitrary rules for the sake of rules.

The European community is slowly moving away from all the denial about DCM..for many, many years people were providing absolutely absurd causes of death when young dogs just dropped dead. So many dogs were billed as being "poisoned" or "hit by trucks" that it began to be kind of...humourous. Either they weren't being honest or their animal keeping skills needed some dramatic help, because they sure had a disproprotionate number of dogs dying "accidentally".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.