Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have been browsing this forum for quite sometime and learned a great deal from you all!! I have owned 2 dobermans in the past and just recently lost our female at 10 years old. I have found a liter that I am interested in due this spring and have been doing pedigree research on dobequest. My question is do you base your research when selecting a puppy on looking at the longevity of the dogs in the pedigree instead of whether or not they died of dcm since so many will end up with DCM? I have found alot of dcm in the mother's sire side, but they all have lived to 10 or 11. This is the dam of the liter Dobequest:Dog Profile Page
The sire is not listed on dobequest, but he is a Briarwood Johnny B Goode son. Any opinions are appreciated!!

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Hi. I have been browsing this forum for quite sometime and learned a great deal from you all!! I have owned 2 dobermans in the past and just recently lost our female at 10 years old. I have found a liter that I am interested in due this spring and have been doing pedigree research on dobequest. My question is do you base your research when selecting a puppy on looking at the longevity of the dogs in the pedigree instead of whether or not they died of dcm since so many will end up with DCM? I have found alot of dcm in the mother's sire side, but they all have lived to 10 or 11. This is the dam of the liter Dobequest:Dog Profile Page
The sire is not listed on dobequest, but he is a Briarwood Johnny B Goode son. Any opinions are appreciated!!
I'm sure others will know the pedigree better than me but if your intentions are to get the dog as a pet, the longevity especially in the dcm carrier dogs is what matters more imo. It would make me a bit leary knowing the possibility is there at a higher percentage than say a dog with less instance of carrying the disease but if the ped. is showing more carriers than affecteds it sounds like a safer bet than an affected ped. with the dogs all dieing young. Again you mostly have to ask yourself if you want to take the risk based on the percentage possibility that your dog may have / be affected by dcm.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice and yes this will be a family companion!

I'm sure others will know the pedigree better than me but if your intentions are to get the dog as a pet, the longevity especially in the dcm carrier dogs is what matters more imo. It would make me a bit leary knowing the possibility is there at a higher percentage than say a dog with less instance of carrying the disease but if the ped. is showing more carriers than affecteds it sounds like a safer bet than an affected ped. with the dogs all dieing young. Again you mostly have to ask yourself if you want to take the risk based on the percentage possibility that your dog may have / be affected by dcm.

·
Registered
343 Posts
You might want to verify that both the sire and dam have received at least minimal health testing: echo, dna cardio gene test, and thyroid screening. Is this a breeding sold by Marty Eis?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, this is a breeding by Marty Eis. I will definitely discuss all of this with him once the puppies have arrived!!

You might want to verify that both the sire and dam have received at least minimal health testing: echo, dna cardio gene test, and thyroid screening. Is this a breeding sold by Marty Eis?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts