Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally posted this post under the breeders section and am hoping to get more opinions!! I have been browsing this forum for quite sometime in preparation of our next doberman. The dog will be a family companion. I have owned 2 dobermans in the past and just recently lost our female at 10 years old. I have found a liter that I am interested in due this spring and have been doing pedigree research on dobequest. My question is do you base your research when selecting a puppy on looking at the longevity of the dogs in the pedigree instead of whether or not they died of dcm since so many dobermans will end up with DCM? I have found alot of dcm in the mother's sire side, but they all have lived to 10 or 11. This is the dam of the liter Dobequest:Dog Profile Page Note that her date of birth is listed wrong, it should be 2006.

The sire is not listed on dobequest, but he is a Briarwood Johnny B Goode son. Any opinions are appreciated!!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I originally posted this post under the breeders section and am hoping to get more opinions!! I have been browsing this forum for quite sometime in preparation of our next doberman. The dog will be a family companion. I have owned 2 dobermans in the past and just recently lost our female at 10 years old. I have found a liter that I am interested in due this spring and have been doing pedigree research on dobequest. My question is do you base your research when selecting a puppy on looking at the longevity of the dogs in the pedigree instead of whether or not they died of dcm since so many dobermans will end up with DCM? I have found alot of dcm in the mother's sire side, but they all have lived to 10 or 11. This is the dam of the liter Dobequest:Dog Profile Page Note that her date of birth is listed wrong, it should be 2006.

The sire is not listed on dobequest, but he is a Briarwood Johnny B Goode son. Any opinions are appreciated!!
I think that is a question you have to answer for yourself.

In my personal opinion, I would try steer clear of lines with lots of DCM close in the pedigree regardless of how long the dogs lived. Though some dogs can live to 10+ years of age before they die of or are diagnosed with DCM, I'd rather not take the gamble on whether or not MY puppy inherits all of the mutated genes that could cause him/her to die at a young age from the disease. The lower the likelihood of them inheriting the problem is from the start, the better--in my opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice!! I totally understand what you are saying, but am a little confused as how to pick the "perfect" puppy based on pedigree research. Looking at some of the reputable breeders puppy's pedigrees recommended by DT in my area, I still have found DCM deaths one and two generations back. It seems almost impossible to find a liter that doesn't have DCM close and then add in the fact that half of the dogs don't have a death listed on dobequest.

Maybe I should rephrase and ask "how much DCM is acceptable to you in a pedigree?"

I think that is a question you have to answer for yourself.

In my personal opinion, I would try steer clear of lines with lots of DCM close in the pedigree regardless of how long the dogs lived. Though some dogs can live to 10+ years of age before they die of or are diagnosed with DCM, I'd rather not take the gamble on whether or not MY puppy inherits all of the mutated genes that could cause him/her to die at a young age from the disease. The lower the likelihood of them inheriting the problem is from the start, the better--in my opinion.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
It does seem overwhelming, doesn't it. I would sit down with the breeder and review the pedigree. Perhaps they can fill in the missing info on COD's.

DCM one or two generations back would scare me too. I would also look at longevity in the pedigree as well. Do you have anyone helping you?

Thanks for the advice!! I totally understand what you are saying, but am a little confused as how to pick the "perfect" puppy based on pedigree research. Looking at some of the reputable breeders puppy's pedigrees recommended by DT in my area, I still have found DCM deaths one and two generations back. It seems almost impossible to find a liter that doesn't have DCM close and then add in the fact that half of the dogs don't have a death listed on dobequest.

Maybe I should rephrase and ask "how much DCM is acceptable to you in a pedigree?"

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yeah, it's going to be tough. Even when there doesn't seem to be any incidence of DCM you'll be surprised what turns up when you start looking at the breadth of the pedigree - littermates and whatnot.

If health and logenvity was my number one concern I'd personally just focus on two things: overall longevity in the pedigree (a preponderance of older lived dogs) and a relative outcross (no common ancestors in the first three or four generations). That's what I'd personally do. Good luck.

And of course make sure all heath testing is current and acceptable.

·
Take my Dobe, please!
2,566 Posts
Eisamar has a good reputation, so I'm not slamming them, just curious about something.

The proposed dam of the litter has earned no titles, her dam has earned no titles, and her dam has earned no titles. Why did the breeder include these dogs in their breeding program?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Eisamar has a good reputation, so I'm not slamming them, just curious about something.

The proposed dam of the litter has earned no titles, her dam has earned no titles, and her dam has earned no titles. Why did the breeder include these dogs in their breeding program?

Really? I'm from Ohio and I have not found this to be the case.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
There are several breeders in Ohio that dont show their females ever. You either condemn them all or none. I do know Eisamir, Briarwood and Kaywood all breed together. I have seen Kaywood and Eisamir behind a lot of good dobermans. Personally, I dont want to see any DCM closer than 4/5 generations back and good luck on that. I dont want to see Brunswigs Cryptonite very much in a pedigree, another good luck with that. Dont want to see to many Beaulane dogs in the pedigree. Tired now and not sure I spelled that right. While you are researching note if the DCM leads back to a particular dog and avoid that line if you see DCM going thru it. I would get the Briarwood dogs pedigree and research it thoroughly. Oh, I would avoid a pedigree linebred on Briarwoods Storms A Brewing. He lived a long time and died of cancer, but I know of one pup that died of cancer at around two. I would avoid any half sister half brother breedings. This all strickly my opinion. Another reseach site is on Glengate Dobermans. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
22,014 Posts
I can only tell you what I, personally, will do when (if?) I have the chance to purchase a pup in the future. I am doing research now, though it will be years away :) However, I'm looking pretty exclusively at breeders that have dogs in the DPCA Longevity program. In particular, I want to see breeders that have dogs in the BFL-1 listing. There are several breeders that I was already interested in that show up there. Temperament is also critical for me.

Personally, I'd pass on this breeder, especially given some of the things I've read here on DT about Eisamar. I would not want to see DCM deaths in the first couple of generations, even if they were later in life.

Reactions: DoodleDobe
1 - 10 of 10 Posts