Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep it's me again.

I'd like to look up information regarding pedigrees from another breeder I'm talking to. I'd also like one that may have information on how long the ancestors of a particular dog lived, if possible. I have been shown a regular AKC pedigree for the dam and sire, still waiting on health testing documentation. By the way, it isn't seen as rude to ask for health clearance results is it? I can't tell you how many breeders I have talked to that got butthurt about it. I'm pretty sure its something that should be expected of a buyer to ask but I don't know if that's something you're supposed to ask for when you meet them in person or just when you're emailing.

Anyway if there are no good sites to fact check and research pedigrees/health test results and it's all software that must be purchased please let me know.

Or any information regarding the dogs on these pedigrees would help too, just knowledge off the top of your head if you have it. I don't mind doing my own digging.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,829 Posts
OFA and Dobequest are the two health databases we use. Both require submissions from users, so they aren't always up to date. Some breeders actively hide COD on Dobequest.

Reactions: MMcCown and melbrod

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
My favourite database is dobermanngenealogy.dk as it does not focus on titles or anything of the sort it displays pedigree by COD/health and age bands at time of death. You have to request from the admin to open an account and she can be reached on facebook, her name is Bitten Jönsson.

I also use Dobequest and doberbase.ru but those aren't always 100% accurate or complete because of reasons stated by falnfenix. OFA is useful somewhat but since so few breeders in dobermans actually submit all of their health testing to it, it can become a dead end.

• Helpful
Reactions: 4x4bike ped

·
Premium Member
14,448 Posts
I took a quick look at those pedigrees and except for the San Keal dog they look exclusively like the product of years of pet breeding--and to add to that probability there is a Kimbertal dog fairly far back--that should be a red light--it is at least for me.

I use DobeQuest, OFA and there is an Eurpean data base that I occasionally look at but I can't think of the name right now and I'm on my way to work but just based on the two pedigrees I wouldn't bother to talk to the breeder--I be looking for something much, much better.

And the only people I know who would be huffy about you asking for health records would be those that aren't doing enough of the right kind of health testing.

Sorry...

dobebug

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took a quick look at those pedigrees and except for the San Keal dog they look exclusively like the product of years of pet breeding--and to add to that probability there is a Kimbertal dog fairly far back--that should be a red light--it is at least for me.

I use DobeQuest, OFA and there is an Eurpean data base that I occasionally look at but I can't think of the name right now and I'm on my way to work but just based on the two pedigrees I wouldn't bother to talk to the breeder--I be looking for something much, much better.

And the only people I know who would be huffy about you asking for health records would be those that aren't doing enough of the right kind of health testing.

Sorry...

dobebug
Don't apologize! The more I know the better my search will improve until I can get a well bred new friend! Could you tell me what you know about the Kimbertal dog and why that's a red light for you?

And thank you everyone else for your help!

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
15,284 Posts
Neither pedigree looks that impressive, in my opinion. The first pedigree has Kimbertal dogs in it. At one time, they were the largest puppy mill of Dobes and Rotties in the US. Regarding the Doberland dog in the same pedigree, that breeder doesn't have the most sterling history. Search this forum for Guardian Angels or Guardian K9, since those were a couple of her prior kennel names.

You can look up dogs on the Orthopedic Foundation For Animals (OFA) website to see what tests they've had done that are public. The Canine Health Information Center | OFA

·
Premium Member
14,448 Posts
Don't apologize! The more I know the better my search will improve until I can get a well bred new friend! Could you tell me what you know about the Kimbertal dog and why that's a red light for you?

And thank you everyone else for your help!
Mary and Dobes already answered that question. But I'll do it again--Kimbertal and House of Hoytt are probably the two best known purely puppy mill breeders in the United States and both have been around longer than I have been. And I got my first Doberman (first show prospect and actually my first Best in Show dog--in Canada and the USA) in 1959.

I would be very reluctant to even consider a breeder who had either kennel name showing up in the pedigrees behind their present dogs.

So it isn't even just that Kimbertal dog but any Kimbertal dog.

dobebug

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
OP, what exactly are you looking for? Maybe we can help you find a good breeder?

No, a breeder shouldn't feel put out or annoyed that you want to see health testing, they should be happy you're asking.

I would suggest going to the dpca website, under doberman and breeder referral, or the UDC website under breeder referral. I might be able to suggest certain breeders if I know more of what you're looking for and whereabouts you're located.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Just an fyi, I couldn't get your link to open and google couldn't even find the website.
that's because it wasn't linked. You might get a message from google that the site is not secure as the license has expired but since it doesn't collect any personal info it's nbd
Product Font Screenshot Technology Parallel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts