Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to make a post about how important it is to keep our dogs nails short. It is painful and can wreck feet to not keep them short.

Grinding them is the fastest and easiest way to groom them IMO, but I also used nail clippers for years before I knew about dremeling.

Most dogs will let you do it as long as you don't keep the dremel on one nail to long as it gets hot quickly.

I even dremel dogs nails at work and rarely find a dog that objects strongly to it so getting your Doberman use to it shouldn't be a problem.

I dremel Peaches nails once or twice a week to keep them short. Every dog will differ as to when they will need done, but just remember when the nail grows so does the quick and you won't be able to take them as short if they get too long.

Here is a link that explains even with pictures how to best do this.

http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/doberdawn/dremel/dremel.html

I'm not sure if this links says it, but on your dremel tool it's best to use the sand paper band vs the stone. The stone will get much to hot.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I LOVE my dremel! Can't live without it! I do my pooches twice a week usually, but I've been swamped with the fosters and sick animals, yada yada, and it's been a nearly two weeks since I last did it, and YIKES!!! I sat everyone down for a dremel session last night! I just hate the "click click" of nails on the floor too.

I've made a point to positively reward all the dogs, and with the exception of Lex that will allow the dremeling but with a sad sad look, the other guys go nuts for it when I pull the dremel out of the drawer, it's more of a chore to make them wait till their turn!

Great job posting CM! And that is a great link too, I've used that one before.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
that is such a good point coal-s-mom! and it is sooo nice to hear other dog owners say how great the nails look! especially people familiar with dobes cause I think dobes especially look their best with short short nails...since they have those cat paws :)

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LapDog said:
that is such a good point coal-s-mom! and it is sooo nice to hear other dog owners say how great the nails look! especially people familiar with dobes cause I think dobes especially look their best with short short nails...since they have those cat paws :)
Exactly. And long nails will make those pretty tight feet splay over time.

My boss is a vet for 35 years and when he saw Cole's nails he commented he had never seen a Doberman with such short nail.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Thats a great reminder CM. I am a freak with nails. Like Lexus, I cannot stand the clicking on the floor. I don't know what I would do without my dremel. That is usually the first thing I notice about a dog.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
I dremel Piper and Rommel too. They dont love it, but they dont protest it, and they like it MUCH better than nail clippers. Piper hates nail clippers!!!!! She will lay quietly for the dremel.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I didn't start out with a dremel with Da'Kari but did with Nash, so needless to say Nash's nails look much better than hers. I can't seem to get hers short but enough to keep them off the floor.

Both of mine are so so with the dremel, there are times they lay perfectly still and let me go to work, other times they protest a little. Best time to get'em is when they are tired and want to lay down and nap.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Great link, :thanx: . I still haven't gotten around to trying the dremel, I know they would freak at the noise for sure but I am still going to try it one day soon when hubby can do it while I hold on.
I cut Alex & Suzy 2x/month and Roxy needs it 1x/month. After I cut the nails I file down the rough spots on the front paws so they can't catch it on anything. I use one of those files you use on your feet. I know it will be easier and I can eliminate that step once I use the dremel.
Vet mentioned if nails are left long for a period of time the quick will grow out and it makes it harder to cut them short. Vet said remedy for that is to start cutting them more frequently and eventually the quick won't grow as fast and you'll be able to get them shorter.
I don't like them clicking on the floor either so anytime I hear that I get out the clippers.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I SO wish I could do that with Tucker. His nails are horrible :(
He hates having his feet touched though. Get the clippers out and he gets all growly and cranky. I can hold him if someone will chop, but no one here will cut for me.

He hates machines too. The vacuum is his worst enemy, the dishwasher scares him and I'm sure if I got out the dremel he'd head for the bed upstairs in a heart beat. I've been working to get him to at least let me touch his feet and it's taken a long time to get that far. He's such a good boy otherwise, I just wish we knew where he came from and what his history was...it would probably explain a lot

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
duchess nails have never touched the floor...they use to be so short you had to look close just to see them peeking out from her tan hair around the nail. lol we use to use the dremel on our dalmatian...but now just regular clippers...cause our dremel is old or broken or something...maybe we will just go buy a new one. Duchess will sit for her nails to be clipped but she likes to pull her leg away right when we start to clip. so maybe she too will be still for the dremel.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
We dremel here....Boy do her nails grow fast. I have to keep it up atleast once a week to keep them mangeable. She is definately not a fan about having her nails done, but she does it.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I have to admit I'm horrible when it comes to nails, I need to do them more often, I have an old dremel somewhere but have been afraid to use it.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
PeeWeesMama said:
I have to admit I'm horrible when it comes to nails, I need to do them more often, I have an old dremel somewhere but have been afraid to use it.

Oi!!! He does have some sharp looking daggers there!!! Snip those bad boys off! :) Start him on the dremmel now while he is young, in fact, you can even introduce your poochie to it by just turning it on and then reward him for approaching you without fear, and work your way up to gradually just buzzing his nails a bit at a time. Once you get the hang of it, you'll love it!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Lexus said:
Oi!!! He does have some sharp looking daggers there!!! Snip those bad boys off! :) Start him on the dremmel now while he is young, in fact, you can even introduce your poochie to it by just turning it on and then reward him for approaching you without fear, and work your way up to gradually just buzzing his nails a bit at a time. Once you get the hang of it, you'll love it!

LOL that pic was 4 1/2 yrs ago I had just brought her home!!!

here are my 2 now

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hmm hadn't thought of using the dremel, might have to give that a go. Abbie loves having her nails trimmed and hers are quite easy to keep short but Diesel hates it. Don't think he'd ever had his feet handled before we got him, the nails are really long and the quick goes right to the end. We are working hard to get him used to having his nails done but he gets so panicky. I've been trimming what I can off but maybe I can get him used to the noise and feeling of the dremel and go about it that way.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can't seem to get hers short but enough to keep them off the floor.
Try doing them 2x a week to get them shorter. I know it's a fine line, but if you can expose the quick w/o making it bleed the quick will recede.

Another great thing about dremeling is that if you do make the quick bleed, it is such a tiny amount that it really isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Tamena said:
I SO wish I could do that with Tucker. His nails are horrible :(
He hates having his feet touched though. Get the clippers out and he gets all growly and cranky. I can hold him if someone will chop, but no one here will cut for me.

He hates machines too. The vacuum is his worst enemy, the dishwasher scares him and I'm sure if I got out the dremel he'd head for the bed upstairs in a heart beat. I've been working to get him to at least let me touch his feet and it's taken a long time to get that far. He's such a good boy otherwise, I just wish we knew where he came from and what his history was...it would probably explain a lot
Some dogs are just weird about their feet no matter what kind of history they have.

One thing I have found in my profession, (dog groomer) is that dogs that object to nail clippers usually don't object that much (if at all) to a dremel. Nail clippers squeeze the quick when you clip even though you aren't actually cutting the quick.

I would just try and get Tucker use to the dremel with you holding it your hand. Don't turn it on, just let him sniff it. Praise him and gradually start turning it on and praise him. While you are doing this, you need to have confidence that he isn't going to freak out. Just be cool about it. It's no big deal.

After he is use to the sound of it take it out to show him and with it turned off, touch one of his nails with it. Work him up to touching all his nails with it turned off. Gradually get him use to it being turned on and touching his nails. Just remember when using it to keep it moving. It will get hot on the nail if you don't.

Remember to use treats and praise during the whole process.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
TomAndKing said:
Question...

If you trim a bit of the nail twice a week, will the wuick receed?
It will if you can expose the quick. The quick on dark nails is a grayish color and it looks fleshy. It can be exposed with out making it bleed. Another thing that helps to make it recede it to dremel the sides and top down to the quick.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts