Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again! I have a question about peanut butter and quantity that is ok for your dobe to have. My girl is 14 weeks old and the only thing that I have found to hold her attention for any amount of time is peanut butter inside a kong. My question is how often do you give your dobes this treat? I put less than a teaspoon inside each time. I have been giving her this once a day and just wondered if that was too often or could I even go to twice a day? Thanks in advance!

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
Are you freezing it? Maybe you already are, but if you're not, freeze it! It will last even longer!

Also, peanut butter is kinda junk food for dogs. I prefer to freeze canned pumpkin, or plain yogurt, or cottage cheese. You can also soak her kibble until it's mushy and then freeze that in her kong. Just some healthier choices than peanut butter all the time.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I give my boy a peanut butter filled kong (or bone) every time he's crated and it's always been this way. This means he usually gets between 2-5 a day, depending on how many times I have to run out of the house. It's never a HUGE amount so I've never been too worried about it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok great! Thank you for the suggestions. I am freezing the peanut butter inside the kong but I will also try the others that you suggested.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I give my boy a peanut butter filled kong (or bone) every time he's crated and it's always been this way. This means he usually gets between 2-5 a day, depending on how many times I have to run out of the house. It's never a HUGE amount so I've never been too worried about it.
That's what I am wanting to do as well. I was just making sure it was ok to give her that amount in a day. Thank you.

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
I'm also having good success with little oblongish thumb sized balls of mince chicken mixed with shredded and diced veges, frozen and then dropped into the kong. They rattle around ... making a great rattle toy, and every now and then one will pop out the end as a treat. (Basil is not quite smart enough to work out how to hold the kong to get them to drop out in one go) :D

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
Just me, but I don't get brands like Jif or Skippy. I only get the stuff with two ingredients, peanuts and salt. Yeah, you have to dump it out into a bowl to mix it up before you can use it, and then keep it in the fridge, but regular PB has sugar and other stuff in it. "Real" PB tastes better, also.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Teddy brand makes salt free, with just one ingredient of roasted peanuts.

My girl loves frozen peanut butter Kongs. :D

·
Registered
837 Posts
I use reduced fat all natural peanut butter. Probably no more than a tablespoon. I wedge it all the way to the bottom of the kong and than freeze. I have 6 of them and set up a little assembly line. I use plastic gloves to avoid the mess. I refuse to use that junk that comes in tubes, etc. Yes, I know I am crazy but Shannon is used to her night time treat and I try to please :)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Definitely use unsalted peanut butter - preferably natural i.e. only peanuts. Trader Joe's has a good quality unsalted pb. I put about a teaspoon along with sliced spears of banana into the kong and freeze it, using only half of a banana.

I have found that if I slice the bananas into spears and freeze them in a baggie, I don't have the problem of all my bananas ripening at the same time. Then when I need to fill a kong, I just put a few spears of banana into it along with a bit of peanut butter.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I give organic crunchy unsalted peanut butter when I give her peanut butter. I try to vary what she gets so its always new and exciting.. shes kinda spoiled :rolleyesww: I use frozen wet dog food, mushed up banana then frozen, frozen organic pumpkin puree, and plain organic yogurt. I only use organic, to avoid chemicals and dyes and stuff. Plus, its what we get for the humans in the household, so we all share lol

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
My peanut butter jar fell off the cabinet and the top broke it was plastic...well a big lump of peanut butter fell on the floor and I called my clean up crew to clean the floor up in the kitchen aisle..........she had that licked up in seconds:)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I use just enough natural peanut butter to hold in some treats and then freeze it. Use the peanut butter more as a glue than as the only treat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts