Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Paw pads

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  MeadowCat 
#1 ·
Ava has a huge obsession with the wind. When it's windy outside, she's completely zoned out. She runs around jumping and barking trying to catch it. She loves it. Only thing is that I can't seem to get her attention when it's time to go back inside. I've tried treats and even food. It's like she doesn't even see me. I've tried to catch her, but she doesn't stay still enough for me to get to her. Yesterday, it was very windy and I tried unsuccessfully for almost 1 1/2 hours to get her to come in. Finally she stopped and came to me limping. So I picked her up and took her inside. The biggest paw pad on each paw has a piece of pad skin missing or scraped. I soaked and cleaned them and used neosporin and have been carrying her outside to potty. We had some pain meds and gave her some. Tomorrow we will go to the vet. Could running around full speed for that long cause her pads to rub off? Any help on desensitizing her to wind would help. I don't correct her because I don't believe she even notice me calling her or trying to catch her. Our back yard has grass so she does not run on pavement.

#2 ·
I would use a long line for awhile so that you are able to walk out and get the leash which is much easier and then you can end the play and bring her in.

As far as the pads it's possible she ran them raw, I dont know if it was cold or not but it is here, and if mabel wont come in or is out to long she comes in with sore/cold feet from the snow or frozen ground. Good luck at the vet tomorrow, and I think the long line to help make sure she comes in when you want her too and isn't out there overly long will really help. a good 10 or 20 footer.

#4 ·
The long line sounds like a good idea, but do you have shrubs or small trees where she is likely to get the line hung up? I would watch her with it on. I dunno, but I would be afraid she would get it hung up, then hit the end of it running. That couldnt be good. I do think I would work with her about not hearing you. Just doesnt sound mentally healthy to me. Not realizing she is running her pads off. Might try to find a behavorist.

#5 ·
Thanks. We have a deck that the long line could get snagged on. Any other time, I can get her attention. It's just when it's windy. Ava is a rescue, so I don't know too much about her past other than that she was confined to a pool table on a short lead all day long. Yes, the not hearing me worries me a bit. It's like I'm not even there or maybe she's just ignoring me. Even on a leash, she super excited about the wind blowing. Not sure what to do.

#6 ·
Given her history, I would recommend a consult with a board certified veterinary behaviorist. Obsessive behavior is more common in Dobermans than in a lot of breeds, and I would be worried about things escalating. OCD behaviors are a pain to deal with.

You can find a board certified veterinary behaviorist here: Find a Board Certified Veterinary Behaviorist ACVB

Reactions: LindaH
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.