Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Abby was running around my parents pool today, it is concrete and after awhile we noticed some blood on the ground. The pads on each paw appear to have been cut/torn open. They are not deep cuts but a layer or two of the pad has been ripped. She is limping around not wanting to put weight on any paw. They are no longer bleeding but a clear puss kind of liquid is all over. I've attached a couple pictures of two of the injured paws.

Any tips for treating this? Should we bandage each paw? Any idea on recovery time?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I would call the vet, they will probably give you some antibiotics. They will probably wrap them up I would assume. I would also try to put each paw in a big bowl of cold water to get any lose sand or concrete stuff out of the wounds. These are just my ideas. I don't recommend putting anything on them except cold water. Also it would hurt to just call the vet. Sometimes they will tell you how to take care of it without having to go in to have it looked at.

·
Registered
880 Posts
awww.. poor puppy :(

Make sure the wound is clean, if not rinse it off with water and then disinfect it. Let it air dry for a bit (make sure you're holding the paw so that she can't put it down on the ground). Put a piece of gauze over it, and then bandage all around. Finish off with some medical tape a couple times around.

The hard part will be keeping her walking to a minimum. So nothing but short potty walks for the next week. She'll probably need 2-4 weeks to fully heal. You need to make sure that the bandages stay dry. Wrap the bandaged paws up in thick plastic bags. IV bags actually work the best as they are made of a thick plastic and the dog's claws don't tear through them like regular shopping bags. But chances are, you don't have access to IV bags :p Maybe you could get a couple from your vet?

I would also take off the bandages every few days just to see how every thing is healing. If you see any signs of inflamation, puss, hot to the touch, take her to the vet asap.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Awe the poor baby! That happened to Storm a few times in her life. We would soak the paw in a Novalsan and then neosporin with a loose wrap for a few days - It was a pain to keep her paws wrapped, and generally we'd have to use an elizabethan-collar to keep her from chewing off the bandages.
here is a link to a place where you can order Novalsan: http://www.designerdogspetspa.com/453701377.html we used to buy it from the vet though. I always have a bottle of this stuff on hand, I keep it in the "pet cabinet" it's a great all purpose wound cleanser - I think there is also a Novalsan cream that's a lot like neosporin.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
If Abby is anything like Mavis was, just about the time her pads start healing, she'll start chewing on them, making the situation that much worse.

Keep an eye on them, even after they look like they're all healed up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts