Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here, and I'm sorry it's got to be related to health but I'm hoping to get some feedback and decide how best to move ahead.

Last week we went on a hike around here, about 3 miles round trip. Everything went smoothly, he skidded out around one of the corners which is normal since he's only about 11 months and still kind of floppy/uncoordinated in his movements. Later in the evening I noticed he was limping and keeping weight off his left paw. After a little examination I noticed the last toe on his paw was really swollen. Decided I should wait a couple of days and maybe see if things got better.

Well it's been about 6 days now and I've been taking it easy with him, not being too rigorous with exercise. The limp isn't apparent, but occasionally after little sprints, I notice him being tender on it, I call it a mini-limp. The swelling has gone down but I've noticed a little blistery/bump thing between his one of the toes. I'm not sure if this is a insect bite, or a splinter or worse case scenario a broken toe.

I'll try to attach a picture here in hopes someone might have had a similar situation and what could be done to help. I've got my vet on speed dial just in case, but I'm trying not to be a nervous puppy-dad. Thanks for reading this far!

Attachments

·
Da Boss
3,494 Posts
I'm not sure on the blister, but his nails definitely need to be trimmed! I'm a nervous mom, so when I'm in doubt I always let the vet check it out. :)

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
hard to say what it is.

could be a cyst or abcsess forming.

when in doubt.......................best to have your Vet take a look at it.

Hugz to Hallem!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,466 Posts
Sorta looks like the beginning of an interdigital cyst to me. I think they may sometimes be associated with a shift in the way the dog places his foot and puts weight on it, so perhaps the hurt toe started it off??

But I'm not a vet--if he has been tender and limping for six days it's probably time for a vet trip.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts