Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddy has been waking me up the last two nights wanting to go outside at 3:30 am so last night he wakes me up I take him out & then back in. Patches still in my bed so not sleepy get on the computer DH wakes up goes to bathroom we have seperate bedrooms. DH opens my bedroom door Patches goes balstic barking & growling at him till he speakes to her. Buddy never said a word. Then last week sister-in -law was in town for my son's wedding she & her Mom came over knocks on the door Patches barks Buddy does not bark??? he is 16 months old. is he just letting Patches do all the work makes me wonder about him as a watchdog???
Patches Mom

·
Registered
954 Posts
Sounds about right to me. There was no threat so there was no need for Buddy to alert.

Lena is very quiet, especially compared to some of my neighbors dogs. I’ve had people ask me if she ever barks. I usually tell them, she barks only when it’s appropriate. Which really isn't true, but it sounds good. :biggrin55

Anyway, Lena is much more discriminating in when she barks then Chester. Chester will bark at most everything. The next door neighbor comes home; Chester barks his fool Chihuahua head off. Lena just looks at him in what appears to be disgust. Now, if someone comes into the neighborhood that Lena doesn't know, she will alert. She gets this grumbling mumbling growl, runs to a window to look out, and then runs to the back door to be let out. She will sometimes start barking, but usually she saves this until we let her out of the screened in porch. She then explodes off the deck (who needs stairs?) barking and runs to the fence. If she really doesn’t like what she sees she will also start to growl. Not the grumbling you’re bothering me inside the house growl, but a deep menacing, hackles-up don’t mess with me one.

The house rule is if Chester is barking, you can just about ignore it. If Lena is barking, you need to go see what is going on. If Lena is growling, you need to run to see what is wrong.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
I'd say Buddy is smarter then you think...Buddy already knows who it is....no need to bark at family! Petey is not much of a barker...yet. So far he thinks everyone who comes to the house is here for him to play with. He does bark at noises and people outside now. But usually stops pretty quickly once he sees that it is a person, etc. Being out in our yard a lot is still very new to him. Example...yesterday I was sitting on the front porch reading, and he was laying on the lawn chewing a bone. He heard voices across the street, and barked a couple of times, he then saw the two little girls who live there come across the street to their mailbox which is on our lawn, Petey just stood and watched them, not a sound or movement. They got their mail, and Petey went back to his bone. He felt no threat, but watched to be sure. Petey does not know the girls well. I was happy with how he handled himself.

oxc

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Buddy watches TV he saw dogs on the TV today barked at them then he saw somekids on the TV and growled at them I did not like that behavior at all and told him so. Guess we need to go to Petsmart more often had thought about going to day but did not want to leave Patches with her nose swollen do not trust DH to keep an eye on her. Will try for next weekend at Pets mart but it is suppose to be really super hot here.
Patches Mom

·
Registered
162 Posts
Watching TV

Buddy watches TV he saw dogs on the TV today barked at them then he saw somekids on the TV and growled at them I did not like that behavior at all and told him so. Guess we need to go to Petsmart more often had thought about going to day but did not want to leave Patches with her nose swollen do not trust DH to keep an eye on her. Will try for next weekend at Pets mart but it is suppose to be really super hot here.
Patches Mom
I catch my dog "watching TV" sometimes too, but remember, they don't see exactly as we do. He may not be barking at what is actually on the TV, he may just be confused by it. Take him out for socialization, but I bet he acts differently when he sees dogs and people he can actually smell!

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Isabelle & Lena are on the same page I think :) Isabelle doesn't bark very much at all. She will if the doorbell rings. She will bark at dogs & people she can see outside the front windows although usually the window thing is a low growl w/ hackles up. If we close the blinds she runs to the back door to be let out. Then she patrols the back yard usually w/o barking. She is very stealthy.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Oh Yeah! I wouldn't doubt it. Comparing Rudi to my parents ****zu-poo....their dog barks at everything. Poor old folks will be taking a mid-day nap and if Quincy hears anything.....he startles my parents with his high pitched bark.
Rudi, on the other hand, is quiet as a mouse, except for his toenails on the wood floors (click clack) and his dog tags jingling. I have recently heard him in the evening give low sounding "woofs" as people walk down the street, he stands on the couch and looks out the window. I think it's cute....trying to be the big lug protector, all I usually get out of him are those "getting comfy" groans. LOL

Reactions: Patches Mom

·
Premium Member
8,880 Posts
Velma never barked at the door until my older Doberman died - that was not her job! She still is not a huge barker at the door, but trust me she knows when to protect. She is very good at knowing when to bark.

I would not worry about it. Patches is your barker - Buddy sounds like the Body Guard back up :)

Reactions: Patches Mom

·
Registered
166 Posts
As said, I wouldn't worry about it. Most dobes seem to know when to be the guard dog and when not to be.
Maggie barks when she's out in our fenced backyard just letting everyone know it's her's. But when she is inside, if she barks, I always know there is something going on.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I'm with Velmadobe, Patches is the 'front man' and Buddy is the Secret Service. Pollo is much more likely to bark first and Molly will follow and look out the windows and sometimes bark with him.

BUT, if she wants the spot on the couch he is lying on, she will start to run to the door barking, Pollo flies off the arm of the couch (rocket-dog style), Molly turns around and takes his place, while he is still at the door trying to figure out what he is barking at.

I wouldn't worry about it. in our house Pollo may make a lot of noise, but Molly is the one that outsiders should be afraid of.

cc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts