Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm still not believing this happened...my best friend, my buddy, murdock passed away saturday morning. still don't know exactly what happened. it was so sudden.

he had obstruction surgery in march(fetish with EATING things) and had a corn cob removed from him in emergency surgery...he recovered well and we changed our household. got a new trash can, no more socks on the floor, **** and span..and i mean i hounded this with notes all over the house. i just know we kept it clean.

something happened though. got home friday and he was throwing up a little but acting super normal. friday night still throwing up and began to act sickly. this happens when he has eaten something so i figured somehow he ate something and he will throw it up in a couple days. but something went horribly wrong. saturday morning he wouldn't get up, just wouldn't move. before lunch he started throwing up blood and this was when we were taking him to the vet. got to the vet and he passed away in the car waiting for a stretcher.

my heart hurts. i'm so sad and cant' figure out why this happened. or how or what did this.

just needed to get his story out there. he was one of the best and most sweet dogs i've ever had. i miss that horse of a dog so much.

we did get him cremated so i will get him back and put him back in the house with me,wherei think he belongs.

how did any of you get through losing a dobe?? i have 2 other dogs, just found out i'm pregnant and ugh just having a hard time.
 

·
joie de vivre
Joined
·
11,246 Posts
Did you have them do an exploratory surgery to find out what he ate?

I'm sorry for your horrible loss but hopefully this will be a lesson to others that playing the "wait and see" game is a terrible risk to take. Particularly terrible for the dog who's life is at risk. Especially when you recognize the symptoms and know your dog has a history of eating dangerous things.

RIP Murdock :frown:
 

·
denormalized
Joined
·
5,824 Posts
I am very sorry. You get thru it one day at a time. I have lost 2 this year.

The shock takes you by surprise at odd moments - you are talking to someone then you just crumple up crying. This part gets better after about a month. Then you just have to work thru your grief over the next several months. It takes me a year to stop with the crying fits but sad to say, the more I lose the shorter the time from grief to happy memory events.

I keep photos on my computer and they randomly display whenever I am idle too long. I have large screens at work and we can all see my babies parade across my life. I think this helps me to see the happy times continually, daily. I love seeing photos of Cato, back when he was doing agility, jumping etc.

I lost my beautiful Boris at 13mths in 2009 and that was so hard - just like your loss. To lose such a young otherwise healthy dog to what turns out to be an accident (Boris choked) - the recriminations and the blame game and all that doesn't help. You have to go zen on it. His photo and Cato's are in my signature - I love seeing this photo of my 2 boys - one at the end of his life and the other at the start of it - both now passed.

You have to accept it and not try to blame and don't try to think about what you could have done better - it sounds like you did everything you could have aside from locking Murdock in a glass cage. He had a great life with you, better than many dogs who live a full life because his life was celebrated and packed. Maybe he lived a full life in his 2 short years...

Treasure his memories and photos of him. Don't shut them away from you.
 

·
sadder but wiser girl
Joined
·
9,688 Posts
We are SO very sorry to hear this. There's not much we can say that will help, but know our thoughts are with you. We lost 3 of ours within 1 1/2 years, all to cardiomyopathy, each one was 6 years old. That was bad enough - 2 is just tragic. As Vivienne said, it's a 1 day at a time process - and even now, just 2 years since Rocky died, DH still breaks down in tears at times (his heart dog). Try to remember all the love, the funny stuff, all the reasons and ways that he improved your life in the short time he was there. It'll help a little. SO sorry.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,037 Posts
I am trying not to be mean, but I would like to know what your thought process was that kept you from taking Murdock to the vet when he couldn't get up that morning? Why did you wait till he was throwing up blood? Maybe your comments can help someone else that thinks waiting is okay in this situation.

I don't want to be rough on you cause I figure you will do that to yourself anyway. I am very sorry you lost your boy. I am very sorry Murdock died...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,449 Posts
Did you have them do an exploratory surgery to find out what he ate?

I'm sorry for your horrible loss but hopefully this will be a lesson to others that playing the "wait and see" game is a terrible risk to take. Particularly terrible for the dog who's life is at risk. Especially when you recognize the symptoms and know your dog has a history of eating dangerous things.

RIP Murdock :frown:
I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm petrified this will happen to Flirt. She has had 2 obstruction surgeries. I waited the 2nd time and she ended up losing 10" of her intestines and had a much longer recovery. Now if there's any question, we are on the phone to the vet or on our way. It's so difficult :(

(HUGS) Sending good thoughts to you. This must be so difficult.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the kind thoughts to most of you.

linda. thanks for making me feel like even more crap. the reason i didn't take him immediately is because he was throwing up as we have seen him do numerous times whether it was just upset belly or grass or whatever. when he could not get up, of course we thought to take him to the vet but also thought....lets wait just a little bit longer to make sure. he has done this to us before. trust me, we have been through numerous things with him. i do not suggest when you see your pet throw up to immediately take him to the vet, if he is lethargic, watch him - but to rush off immeditely. sorry. i do not agree. as for others if this happens: i do not think i did ANYTHING wrong for murdock. thanks for ruining my morning.

please keep your posts kind. if you don't haveanything nice to say, please say nothing. i'm hurting even more now. i thought this board would help me but i see it doesn't always. always have that ONE person who can ruin things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,822 Posts
I am so very sorry Murdock has died. Bless your heart and RIP Murdock.

I can tell you what I did to help when I lost Wheeler was to write a huge eulogy and put together a ton of photos and then post it here on the Rainbow Bridge. That helped because I cried and cried while I was doing it.

Then I lost Walker. Before Walker died, I got another puppy, not to take Walker's place but to help fill that huge void. If having a Doberman is in your blood, there's nothing you can do other than have one.

Again, so very sorry you are going thru this. Especially at Age 2, when you are just really falling in love with them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,957 Posts
That is the age of my boy and I can't imagine what you are feeling like right now. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Darkevs and Sherryh

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKI,TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
Joined
·
18,301 Posts
So very sorry for this tragic loss. Words cannot express my sadness for you and your family. When you feel up to it, please post some pictures of Mudock on the Rainbow Bridge forum. RIP and run free sweet Murdock.
 
1 - 20 of 78 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top