Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a new doberman puppy in a few weeks, but I'm a bit worried because my friend's dog, who hasn't had yearly vaccinations, is staying with us at the moment. He's going to leave before my puppy gets here, but is there a chance that if he carries parvovirus he might leave it behind and she could contract it? Also, I tend to walk in the park barefoot, then go inside. Would this transmit parvo into the floor and the carpet? If so, what do I do? Spray F10 everywhere?
I'm freaking out a bit, so any help would be great.
Thanks!
Kate

·
Bazinga!
4,534 Posts
Yearly vaccines are a thing of the past.
Your friend (providing the dog received core vaccines) is doing things right. It is proven that after core vaccines dogs carry immunity for 7+ years. Not including the work memory cells do.
Unless you're walking through poop it is unlikely you're going to drag parvo into your home by walking barefoot.

Make sure you've done your homework on your breeder. This is where good health begins!

·
Snuggle Monster
932 Posts
How old will your puppy be when you get her, and how many rounds of vaccination will she have received when you bring her home?

Parvo virus lives in feces and in fecal matter, and it can survive extreme environments. It can live in the soil for months. So, yes, you could absolutely track it home with you and your friend's dog could absolutely bring it into your home, if he has it.

I would talk to your vet about it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My puppy will be just over 8 weeks old when she comes home, and she will have had her 6 week vaccinations. What can I do to keep her safe until 2 weeks after her 10 week vaccinations?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in Australia, so I think vaccinations might be a little different over here. I think it's pretty standard here for breeders to vaccinate around 6 weeks of age.

·
Snuggle Monster
932 Posts
I agree with SieYa on this one; please ask your breeder NOT to vaccinate her at 6 weeks.

There is a lot of confusion and misunderstanding surrounding vaccines. It's really important that you educate yourself about parvo, and that you talk to your vet about a vaccination schedule, before you bring your puppy home. You also should talk to your vet now about things you can do to keep her safe.

A lot of new puppy owners talk, at great length, to their breeder about these things. But I would say, if your breeder is vaccinating at 6 weeks, you would be better off talking to a vet about it — it sounds like your breeder does not have as thorough an understanding of vaccinations as a vet would.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just don’t think you can say vaccs should not be given at 6 weeks. There is more to it

An understanding of the nursing is important. Some bitches don’t produce enough milk or are slow to produce. Some suck at nursing/mothering. Some puppies have to be wet nursed. Any of these scenarios leave a puppy with inadequate colostrum support and the needed immunity against disease

If the puppies did not receive enough colostrum when needed and the immunity support, starting vaccinations earlier is prudent. Four to six weeks is recommended by our repro vet in these instances and the woman is anti over vaccination and pushes titres.

Ask you breeder why they are doing what they are doing . There may be a good reason

·
Snuggle Monster
932 Posts
Thanks, dart, you definitely bring up some very good points. The point I was trying to make is that it's not easy to understand, there isn't an easy answer, and the OP needs to learn a lot more about this. I think, in a lot of cases, generally speaking, 6 weeks is too young. But you're absolutely right; there could be more to it in this case.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll ask her. How often should dogs be vaccinated?
So what can I do to prepare for my puppy? Should I clean the house and yard? With what?
Sorry for all the questions. I really want to make sure everything goes smoothly. :)

·
Bazinga!
4,534 Posts
I just don’t think you can say vaccs should not be given at 6 weeks. There is more to it

An understanding of the nursing is important. Some bitches don’t produce enough milk or are slow to produce. Some suck at nursing/mothering. Some puppies have to be wet nursed. Any of these scenarios leave a puppy with inadequate colostrum support and the needed immunity against disease

If the puppies did not receive enough colostrum when needed and the immunity support, starting vaccinations earlier is prudent. Four to six weeks is recommended by our repro vet in these instances and the woman is anti over vaccination and pushes titres.

Ask you breeder why they are doing what they are doing . There may be a good reason

Vaxing at 6 weeks is old school and has been proven time and time again to be of little value to the pup. Many vets seeing pups vaccinated at 6 weeks don't even count that vaccine as it has been proven to offer no long term immunity due to the conflict with immunity from mom.

One can't prove how much colostrum a puppy got, and I've seen large litters where pups are bottle fed by rotation and the vets still don't recommend early vax.
They are continuing to do studies and done are finding that even at 8 weeks vaccinating is questionable due to the issues with moms immunity.

Just because vets routinely do something's doesn't mean it is healthy or in the best interest of the pet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts