Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What learning experience this has been , so far fo me . The first time for a major surgery without the whole crew taking care of me , but it may be one of the bests also .

Kadin is the ole pro now , pretty laid back for the most part , but he found out that not having chaos is boring .

Little girl on the other hand is handling it very well , which , I was sort of surprised , but not , does that make since ? Oh I could see the fear in her eyes when I left her , then that afternoon received a call from Joyce that LG was up on the love seat with her and everything was OK . Then as time pasted she was trying to get up on her husbands lap , she also does that with me . She has a strong male connection, well unless it’s with Kadin lol

Kadin has been the perfect Dober as far getting alone with another dog here , where as LG has her on agenda and it's 99 % about herself , I truly believe she is enjoying all the attention , That has lead to some of my problems with these 2 , When together if Kadin walks over to me , her she comes to re-rout him or if Kadin lays down by my wife , same thing , her she comes .

I have read this many times on here , The one where people are looking for a puppy and the replies of here about the benefits of buying a puppy from a reputable breeder , I think that all about to buy a puppy needs to ask What IF ?? Our 2 are from Jager and Cindy and I covered this right off the bat with Kadin , the what if -- something was to happen to us both - like at the same time , I knew what her answer would be and she reaffirmed it , also with LG - Know this is where it really gets good , well for me , When talking to Joyce about Evie the other day And I quote : Oh Ken don't worry , she's my girl ! She is my girl , Joyce whelped her , but still after 2 years , still calls her , my girl , What is there to say ?

I have talked to Bug , Simon Padgett and several other Dober people and we always end up n this ---- That just how small the Doberman World really is , you say somebodys name and they say who ? Oh yeah - they are friends of one their friends , and it goes on and on .

I have had many people ask me from around here - Ken , Why didn't ever breed Dobermans ? I would just laugh and say NNNNNNNNOOOOOOO Way ! I would fall in love with everyone of them and could let them go lol

Another thing that is brought up a lot from maybe dober puppy owners --- WHY so many questions ? Were NOT adopting a baby - I beg to differ but oh yes you are !!! They do their best to match up the right pup with the right new owner and for the most part that works pretty well .

So far this has been a interesting ride for my whole crew - It is touching us all in a different way - the journey . The part of the journey that has touched me most so far ? Joyce calling me to offer help AND her reply - Don't worry , She is my girl . I'm living out the questions most asked sometimes and what you get from true to the heart Dober Breeders .

Like I said I have plenty of more to share if you want to hear it LOL

The current plans for the home coming for Evie was 2 to 3 weeks , 2 weeks will be Monday and that will not happen , But 3 ? I just may make that one and get the zoo back together

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Neo Puppy, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 7 y/o, RIP Eva HADR Rescue Dobe, Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
6,532 Posts
...Like I said I have plenty of more to share if you want to hear it LOL...
Interesting reading about your dog dynamics, during their temporary habitat changes... :)
However, you'd better not to start a Part 4 thread or you'll get the ol' "MC Hammer" for dupe threads... 😬

·
Premium Member
13,467 Posts
Kenny, I think your narrative about how good owners and good breeders deal with "life--as it goes on" is so important and informative that you will keep telling how this has been for you, Kadin, the bad lil' 'chit who is Joyce's responsibility right now and how important that back up has been for you and your dogs (and Nancy).

People often freak out about a breeder retaining a co-ownership on a puppy they bred and was their until it became yours (or mine)--practically all of my Dobermans have been co-owned and I wouldn't have it any other way--while I have friends who would probably take my dogs or cats if something happened to me. That coownership with the breeder has always been my "backstop" just in case. I know no dog of mine will end up in a rescue or humane facility because there is no one who wants a left over dog.

Keep telling this story to the Forum--I think there are lots of people who never are active on the forums who will find this more than a little interesting and infomative.

dobebug

·
Registered
685 Posts
Great to hear everything is going well!

I had a similar experience in which, about three weeks ago, I had to be taken to the emergency room. To this day we still don't know what caused the horrible back issues but when I was stuck on my floor, waiting for my friend to show up, all three of my pups went into "care mode". Athena has this particular howl that I call her "help howl'. She does it outside when she knows something is wrong and tries to get someone's attention so she was outside doing that. Kenai was cuddled behind me, letting me use his body as a pillow as he tried to lick my head. And then there's the shark. Mako kept bringing me her toys in an attempt to make me feel better. I had a nice little pile by the time my friend got there. Unfortunately, she couldn't help me up so she called 911 and boy, my dogs were not pleased being separated from me. My friend and I knew that Kenai would be super protective and not be happy with strangers trying to move me onto the stretcher so she wrangled all three of them and got them outside. Called it. As soon as the EMTs were here and loading me up, all three of my dogs attempted to find a way to get back into my house because they were not happy that I was being taken somewhere without them. My friend called my boyfriend who rushed to meet me at the hospital while she stayed with my dogs and during the whole trip, my friend let me know that my dogs were pacing and staying in the mud room, the last place they saw me before I was taken by the EMTs.

After a little over a day, I was allowed to go home and my dogs immediately became my nurses. Much to the amusment of my friend and boyfriend, Mako and Athena laid on both sides of me, right on the edge of my heating pad as if to keep it from moving off me while Kenai stood watch and made sure I was comfortable. Though, if I had to go to the bathroom, he immediately "ratted' me out to my boyfriend because he thought I shouldn't be moving.

Its funny how dogs have that ability to know when something is wrong and they try to help.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Kadin's Dads story is great to follow! We hope that leg is not painful and heals up fast!
I wish we had co-ownership of our dogs sometimes! We will have a dog-housesit here next week, and I'm not sure what to tell her if there is an emergency such as wildfire. I would never take them to a kennel, but should I call the local kennel to find out if that would be an option?

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
30,247 Posts
Often when there are big wildfires, the local government, Red Cross, etc. set up emergency shelters for pets and other livestock. I've always wondered how they handle the animals (especially dogs and cats) but I think that set-up is mostly for horses and livestock. Sometimes the local shelters (for displaced people) allow people to bring their pets with them and vets may board animals for free or at cost, too--but I think it is a mess and a real struggle to find a place to go.

The one wildfire we had, there were about 25,000 people evacuated from our part of town on an emergency basis (the fire escaped and suddenly moved into town, burning 350 houses inside the town limits.) The hotels filled up all over--even those an hour or more away. I imagine boarding kennels filled up too. Fortunately we had a place to go where we could bring our dogs and cat, but the whole process was a hectic scramble.

But we live in a city with a population of almost 400,000; the county is about 750,000. There are (obviously) more options for places to stay and take your dogs to in a town of that size, but a lot more people to take care of when something like this happens.

I would for sure make arrangements for emergency communications, and plan places where you can meet if your house ends up in an evacuated area, also provide your sitter with the contact information of family who don't live in your area but will have updated knowledge of where you end up (that much is needed even with ordinary house-sitting anyway). Cell phones may be down, or overcrowded and commandeered by emergency workers, so you can't just rely on calling around to get in touch with people after a disaster.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts