Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm sure this is true but just to clarify im going to ask. Dobe pups that have paper thin ears dont hardly stand after they're cropped do they ? I was told the only chance to have them stand is to get the military crop....seems a bit strange to me but yah lol

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I'm not an ear expert but I that actually makes sense to me. Take a piece of tissue paper for example, you can't hold even a 3 inch strip between your thumb and forefinger and expect it to stand, but a 1/2 inch strip would. However, you'd have little problem with a longer piece of construction paper.
Personally, I'd rather see natural ears over a military crop on a Dobe though... And I would imagine that very thin or weak ear leather is taken into consideration by responsible breeders, since the Dobes ears are such a contributing factor to his overall appearance...

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
You right Trac, a good breeder (or experienced cropping vet) can gauge the ear style based on the individual dog and it's expected build. And crop to match. That said though, I imagine it would be difficult to get a dog with thin ears to stand, it would take lots of patience I'm sure. I'm no ear crop expert though. Lexy is my only dog that I've dealt as she's the first dobe pup that I've had, the others were adults, so I don't have a lot to compare too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts