Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
This is so funny. I actually came back on the site to give an update on how it went, and now that I see how nasty and stupid people can act(which i'm sure predominantly happens over the internet only) when someone is just asking for opinion/direction. Perhaps do you think you could help educate more people that were like myself that have questions instead of being a cyber bully. Your purpose should be to be helpful, don't you care for dobermans?

Anyways, as some bully above predicted I would say, my puppy is the ultimate best! He is so smart, and could be one of the most gentle dogs that I have ever seen!! Just like I'm sure most of you feel about your dobermans. On the contrary to the above comments, he does not bark at anyone at all... I've heard him bark once..At a wheelchair. There are not many dobermans in Manhattan and he gets loads of attention from strangers which I'm sure contributed to his good behavior around strangers. Besides for the occasional pee inside the house, or poop for that matter, he is a very well behaved dog with barely any teething issues. Every vet loves him and says he is perfect shape health wise, which was main concern. While I would never again receive a dog from the internet, I am very happy that I can take good care of a great dog while I inform other people about not buying off the internet/from puppy brokers.

As I type this, Prince lays sleeping right next to me VERY happy to be where he is...

Prince at daycare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM46gw62hmw

Attachments

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Nah, she'll be at home with her new byb puppy, going on about how healthy he is and how cute he is and how we are all a bunch of elitist snobs and how she didn't want a show dog anyway and how he has great bloodlines because there is a great-great-great-great grandfather on one side who was a champion, and how protective he is of her, because at ten weeks of age, he's already growling and barking like crazy if anyone approaches. :rolleyesww:

/rant of cynicism

RFR for the win!

If you knew anything about this breed, you would know it's way too early to boast about health and temperament. He's still a baby. Best of luck, in any case.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
RFR for the win!

If you knew anything about this breed, you would know it's way too early to boast about health and temperament. He's still a baby. Best of luck, in any case.

Sounds like you're hoping for another rowdy doberman to give the breed a bad name.. Shame on you. :(

·
Bazinga!
4,534 Posts
Sounds like you're hoping for another rowdy doberman to give the breed a bad name.. Shame on you. :(

If you paid attention you'd know more about the breed, health and temperament issues.

Come back 'boasting' on 2-5 years about how 'great' your puppymill dog is.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I am glad you love your puppy, you are suppose too! But I think for most of us puppymills and byb'ers just churn our stomachs. I do pray your boy will continue to have health and hope he has longevity.

But seriously, a friend spending $4k on a b-day present- wow. I can't wrap my mind around that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
If you paid attention you'd know more about the breed, health and temperament issues.

Come back 'boasting' on 2-5 years about how 'great' your puppymill dog is.
Four siblings of Prince went into Law Enforcement. This is not a puppy mill dog. This is a beautiful, healthy, and very smart dog, and that is not only said by me but by every trainer/vet/daycare staff that comes in contact with him, and everyone in between. So you can bet I will be back boasting about how great my dog is, just like everyone else on this site does. Keep an eye out for me!

·
Bazinga!
4,534 Posts
Four siblings of Prince went into Law Enforcement. This is not a puppy mill dog. This is a beautiful, healthy, and very smart dog, and that is not only said by me but by every trainer/vet/daycare staff that comes in contact with him, and everyone in between. So you can bet I will be back boasting about how great my dog is, just like everyone else on this site does. Keep an eye out for me!
Im Laughing that is such bs

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Im Laughing that is such bs
Yes because I have to concoct stories to in an attempt to prove myself to people that would openly hope the worst for/about a dog, put a dog down... Like that's scary and like really really weird. I thought stuff like that was like... taboo.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Yes because I have to concoct stories to in an attempt to prove myself to people that would openly hope the worst for/about a dog, put a dog down... Like that's scary and like really really weird. I thought stuff like that was like... taboo.
Well since there are almost no dobermans in law enforcement, it does seem unlikely. I'm just sayin.

·
Bad Wolf
960 Posts
Sorry lady... dobermans aren't used in police anymore. They cost too much, are able to work for only a few years, have too many health issues and have a strange habit of dropping dead at <6 yrs old. A department could get a mal or GSD for a lot less and be able to work a lot longer.
I'm glad you love your boy and honestly wish you a long friendship filled with joy and happiness. If you need anything in the future we'll still be here

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Four siblings of Prince went into Law Enforcement...

:laughing:

Ahem.

Wait, no, still not done.

In all seriousness, the pup is an innocent living being, and I pray and hope he beats the odds (they aren't good) and has a long, happy, healthy life.

You haven't earned the right, btw, to cop an attitude with us here, about Dobermans and puppymills, brokers, and bybs.

Go pay some dues--volunteer with a breed rescue, at a high kill shelter, do some fostering, go on some animal cruelty raids, sit with a dying Doberman choking on the blood and fluid in its lungs, drowning on dry land, from the inherited heart disease that plagues our beloved breed, try to comfort that dog while it gasps for a tiny bit of air...

Then come back and swish your petticoats at us, if you still feel justified.

·
Dobes stole my heart &lt;3
3,418 Posts
sad to say you got ripped off, any site that advertises "designer breeds" is NOT a reputable place to get a pup, I do not care what they boast, your dog came from someone that picks 2 dogs, throws them together, and sells pups, 4k??? I am willing to bet someone is making a HUGE profit from that, even the absolute best show/working breeders do not sell their pups for 4k, the most I have ever seen an extremely well bred dobe go for is 2k (maybe there might be a very few that sell for more, it is NOT the norm)

As someone with more experience than I care to have with BYB I pray your dog never experiences the issues common to almost all BYB pups.
Holter him at 2, have hips, eyes, thyroid, VwD tested, and pray they all come back normal!

·
Registered
207 Posts
You have your boy and love him and that's fine... but do right by him.

Train him, socialize him, and honestly, have cushion money just in case. When he's matured, get him fully health tested for genetic diseases. The health problems that VERY often afflict dobes are costly and heartbreaking. Good breeders, the ones that put money, time, and effort into bettering the breed we love are few and far between. Even if you somehow "got lucky," your money went to a company that is abusing animals, using their reproductive capabilities for massive profits. I can't image what kinds of lives these animals lead, it's absolutely disgusting.

Anyone buying a puppy without doing their research is setting themselves up for the probability of serious struggles, and for those of us who have passion about the breed, this sort of thing is so disheartening.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Wow just read this thread......glad you love your dog OP but you definitely got hosed. Everyone who meets my boy loves him too, but he only cost me $200 at the local shelter.

I know what to watch for him medically as he has grown since he didn't come from a good breeder, I hope you will to.

Listen to everyone about the health issues, make sure you get his hips x-rayed when he's old enough and definitely do Holters/echos when he's older.

Definitely start putting the money aside for these tests as they add up, and if he does get diagnosed with something then you will definitely need that extra money. Maybe since your friend had $4K to spend on the dog, hopefully they will be able to help you with any vet bills too.

All the best

·
Alpha schmalpha
3,900 Posts
No who gets a doberman has a guarantee that they will be without the common health issues that plague this breed. Many will lose their loved ones at 7-8 years of age which is too soon but reluctantly accept at present time. If this shortness of life is to ever to be corrected it is going to take massive discipline on the breeders and buyers. This site and members do not want for any ill will toward your pup. For some experience is the only teacher the wise use others experience. Look at that picture you posted and remember how you felt hopefully you will not regret the smugness you give off!

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
It's really weird. We don't actually want to be right. I'd love for us to be wrong, actually. We don't want your breeder to have been a byb or a puppy mill. We do want your breeder to have in fact titled and health tested (not "vet checked", health tested, like I listed in my other post at length) the sire and dam of your puppy, and made sure the sire and dam of this litter were the best match for each other. We want your breeder to have an eye towards the betterment of the breed, and a conformational and temperamental reason for making the breeding choices that he or she did. We want your breeder to be there for you, and for your puppy, for all of your puppy's life.

Your little guy is very cute, and I'm glad you're happy with him. It's what he deserves! He didn't ask for, well, anything. I do hope you read up on the health issues we all discussed, and that they never visit.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Just have to put my 2 cents in here- the Pittston, PA police dept. does have Dobermans.
This is from their website:

The Pittston Police Department is working to develop a police canine initiative to enhance police operations. The City is soliciting donations for the cost of purchasing the highly trained dog and other start-up costs. Click here for more information.

I don't see anything about them currently having K9s. I'm not there so I could be wrong. Wondering if it's someone going solo that would like to use their Dobe as a K9????? We had a fireman come to SAR training a few times. Dog was nowhere ready to be certified. He took it upon himself to deploy his dog on a search once. Needless to say he doesn't have the opportunity to train with us anymore and he's just another reason SAR teams don't always have the best reputation because there are always individuals trying to "work" their uncertified dogs.

I was at NAPWDA Nationals in Lancaster a couple years back and I had the only Dobe there.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts