Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I havent had a dobe for over 25 years and OZZY is now 7 months and a little over 70lbs. I understand he is in the correct 10 lb per month group. He was about 68 lbs at 6.5 months but since the ice and snow has melted up here in maine he sems to be getting stronger but putting weight on slower. He loves to play football with me and my son in the back yard, we throw the ball and he chases it shakes it then brings it back, lol. He does eat a lot and drinks plenty of water. Is it normal for them to take a break from growing at this stage. Ozzy is a male and very healthy. I do have to say that the litters the breeder has had in the past have had males that weighed between 130 and 135lbs fully grown. He is tall at 27.5 presently. Just curious, thanks:)

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,493 Posts
Believe it or not, he is actually right now the correct height for a dobe male (26 to 28 inches), and will be a good weight too, when he puts on the additional 10 pounds or more that dobes add as they mature between 10 months and 2 years old. Adult males typically run 80 to 95 pounds, give or take 5 pounds.

The dogs from your breeder that ended up substantially heavier are much too large to fit in the doberman standard of a medium-sized dog. It is thought that many overly large dogs have more problems with hips and joints and are not as agile as the medium-sized dog, and also that the medium-sized dog can do the job they were bred for better than a larger dog, even though they are lighter.

One way or another, your dog will grow to the size he is genetically programmed to be, so please don't overfeed him to try to make him grow more. That will just lead to an overweight dog at a higher risk for joint and ligament troubles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
ozzy

thanks, I really dont want him to be 130 plus lbs. I would rather have a healthier dog at the normal weight than trips to the vet all the time for problems. We have a st bernard who will be 13 and I kept her light and the vets cant beleieve how healthy she is. I think Ozzy is making her younger, lol. He plays with her quite a bit. Sometimes she doesnt want to and I have to take them out separately. I never saw Ozzy's dad, but did see his mother and she is 105 lbs, very very solid and not fat at all. So, to ask the question, do doberman's take a growing break at this age or is it just a lot of much needed exercise? thanks for the input

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,493 Posts
Oh, and re-reading your post--football is a fun sport and I bet he loves it, but do try to keep him (and the ball) on the ground at his level--don't encourage him to leap high into the air to grab the ball. A growing puppy (yes, your fellow is still a puppy :)) needs a bit of care to keep him from overdoing the leaps and jumps that stress his joints--THEY feel up to it and it's FUN! But like a teenage kid, they don't always have the best judgement. Once he's about 18 months, he should be OK with all that athletic stuff.

Ane we LOVE PICTURES!!!!

You typed at the same time I typed, I think---um, Dobes generally do reach their full height between 8 months and 12 months or a bit older, but they keep adding weight at a slow pace all the way up until 2 years or so. Of course, every dog differs. You could ask your breeder about the growth patterns of his bloodlines, because there is genetics involved in their growing style, but it's hard to say what is influencing the growth of his dogs--genetics or feeding practice--and you might not want to duplicate what he does.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ozzy

thanks I keep telling my 15 year old son dont let him jump, he is too young and his muscles and bones, tendons, etc... are still forming so.... I tell him just like us he has growth plates. I will let him read what you have posted, thank you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
an update on OZZY growing and question. I didnt want to start a new thread, not sure if I should. Ozzy is 7.5 months and weighs almost 80 lbs now, seems to be eating like a horse more now than ever, extremely active in the yard with my children and I, at different times. He loves running, and playing and looks great and very healthy. Does all this eating equate to a growth spurt of sorts? He also loves granola bars and some veggies, like carrots, corn and loves rice too last week we had sort of a heat wave in Maine and he didnt like the heat at all, just lounged around all day, while he was inside. He is a funny pup, and wonderful to own and my kids cant believe how smart he is.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts