Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all Ozzy will be 6 months next week and chews shoes, of all kinds and whatever he can get. I have toys allover the house in just about every room. He is now, I just noticed chewing my window sills on the corners, uggghhh. I bought bitter spray, the best kind they had and he bit holes in that bottle and chewed the cap. I just put black pepper on alll my window sills, we will see if that works. Oh yea, by the way he destroyed the loveseat too. I havent crate trained him, as I am home most of the time, but did start this week and he hates it. Any ideas on home remedies and how long to crate train him. Please help, he is my 3rd Dobe and never had problems like with Ozzy. I also have a st bernard, who is 11 and she thinks he is nuts, but loves him.

·
Puppies pushover
205 Posts
Does he get a couple walks a day and then mental stimulation? My boy has problems with chewing the wrong things when he's bored and i'm not been upto scratch with his needs and expectations. Try taking away some of the toys and every couple days rotating them. so he always feels like he has something different. If him hiding away and chewing is the problem, when you are unable to watch him you could always have him on a 6ft leash but attached to you so he can't get upto dober mischief.

With regards to crate training my boy hates his cage too. We were advised by someone on here to lock him in his cage. Tell him i'll be back then walk away but before he starts crying come back and let him out. Keep doing this and eventually you will have longer and longer between cries.

Or alternatively as you have only just started crate training him you could let him cry it out. Put him in there with a stuffed kong. Most dogs do get over the crying eventually.

Best of luck, also be great to see pics of the little monster :)

Reactions: Luvbirds

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I think you answered your own question......you didn't crate train him! He is probably at the height of his teething and is testing everything in the house. He also probably needs much more exercise and energy direction. Why are there shoes available to him? It's easy enough to put things like shoes away and out of reach. When we have a puppy, we don't leave anything around that they could use for a chew toy. It's a great way to get rid of clutter. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks

for your input. He is out at least 5 times a day with me, it is winter here in maine so he doesnt like to stay out too long. He has a kong I filled it with peanut butter, he doesnt care about it. his baby teeth are still falling out. He is large about 24 at the shoulder and 64 lbs today. The breeders said he was crate trained before I bought him at 3 months. He really hates it, but if I dont do it I am afraid he will get hurt when I am out. I put one picture up but it sayds that all my other pics are too big. Lol, the little monster, is a good way to put it. He pretty much stays with me all the time even when I am working in my garage, he has 2 cats to chase and they dont lke it, but he wags his tail all the time, when doing it and he plays with sable our st bernard. I will try to put more pics up again. thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all

as far as him getting to shoes, my daughter is 19 and my son is 15 and I tell them all the time we have to baby proof the house and put everything away, well they dont, but they are learning and I said it is not Ozzy's fault. I will continue to crate train him on a daily basis and tether him. How long is a good amount of time for crate training per day. I put him i there for 45 mins yesterday and he wasnt happy. They can't believe how smart he is and how he is able to get at things that they think they have hidden, oh yea, I took a turkey out of the oven, left it on the counter to cool down and turned my back for 3 mins to go to the garage to get something come back in and you guessed it, gone, took it down to my st bernards crate. Believe me I could go on.

·
Puppies pushover
205 Posts
Looks like just an extra close eye needs to be kept when he starts chewing... If he's anything like my dogs he will be a great houdini.

With regards to crate training, i wouldn't choose to go in a crate after free time snuggling with mom/dad for 3 months, but don't be disheartened. He will get it. They are just wayyyy to good at training us to think we are doing wrong by them. I find that on a night Max does better with his crate in our bedroom, he goes in it with the door shut and sleeps through. Admittedly he's only recently accepted it. As i said he hated his crate too. I'm still sure he could think of better ways to spend his time. Gotta show them a bit of tough love.

·
Puppies pushover
205 Posts
We have a 17 year old in and out. He is the same. They must think there clothes, ipods, shoes and money are not attractive to young puppies. Luckily Max hasn't been too bad for chewing things. Except paper (specially important bits of paper) he likes socks, pants :rolleyesww: and every toy that goes near his mouth he shreds. Always supervised though incase of choking/swallowing pieces). Ok so maybe he is a little bad :/ He also chewed the door frame to bits when we had to go out and left him in a small space just gated rather than crated...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just realized

that my last dobe I had was in the early 80's and I didnt have my children then, so it was definately much easier doing things the way I wanted. I just tried to explain to my son again then he has a yogurt and leaves the top on the coffee table I was watching ozzy and of course he went right for it, I got it out of his mouth and by the way the trash can in the kitchen has to go on the counter now, lol

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I would make it very clear to the kids that anything left out for the dog to destroy will not be replaced. If you left a turkey long enough for the dogs to get it, you are definitely part of the problem.

I have had Dobermans for 16 years, seven of them and we have NO counter serfing. The garbage is not easy for them to get into and they are never rewarded by getting anything off of the kitchen counters. I'm certain that I am not a genius or a dog trainer beyond that of other's ability. I am just determined that they will not develop destructive habits. I'm sorry but you have a much better sense of humor than I do.

·
Puppies pushover
205 Posts
I can imagine it been easier back then too. Luckily has a mother you will have amazing patience with unruly doberkids :) Max would have gone right for it too. Our dogs are intrigued with the bin! They must think taht all the things i put in there as i cook are all yummies that they could have possibly consumed. We dont really have specific bins or a garbage disposal thing for like potato + veg peels or anything. So they have to be put in the bin. Luckily these two arent too bad so they didn't really have to be told many times and we can get away with turning the bin backwards so they can't flip up the lid. On the odd occasion we forget thoough Max has his nose in it. Luckily its never full so he doesn't find anything he considers edible.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
I would highly recommend, reading threads on crate training before this pup eats something and gets seriously hurt.
Just do a search in the puppy section and use crate for the subject line in the search parameter. it will require patience on your part but a much safer pup and it does not have to be permanent.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
I would make it very clear to the kids that anything left out for the dog to destroy will not be replaced. If you left a turkey long enough for the dogs to get it, you are definitely part of the problem.

I have had Dobermans for 16 years, seven of them and we have NO counter serfing. The garbage is not easy for them to get into and they are never rewarded by getting anything off of the kitchen counters. I'm certain that I am not a genius or a dog trainer beyond that of other's ability. I am just determined that they will not develop destructive habits. I'm sorry but you have a much better sense of humor than I do.
Like he said ^^^^^^^

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks Nuvis for the input on the crate, as far as me being part of the problem, yes, I let my guard down for one minute not thinking, it wont happen again. He was in the crate today for a half hour and again tomorrow, until he stops whining or if I have to go out he will go in there. I take him in the truck once in a while but he really gets car sick, we have been going on short trips to the store and back to get him used to driving around. Believe me it is a safety thing and i know this, hence the crate. It is a good size one and he has toys in it. As far as the trash it is rarely even 1/3 full but getting a smaller one to put under the cabinet tomorrow. thanks for all your help with ozzy, my daughter calls him satans spawn.

·
Puppies pushover
205 Posts
Lol @ satans spawn :) If you keep taking the steps you are doing your boy will soon get the idea. With regards to you being part of the problem, well alls you can say is "we live and we learn" :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just an update, he has been in the crate everyday for at least a half an hour, is extremely happy when I get him out and give him a treat. This week, I started putting food and treats near him on the floor and telling him no. He gets it now, and sits there and drools but wont touch it, then gets fed up and walks back and forth and checks to see if it is still there, then he leaves and comes back and i give him praise and another treat. The snow and ice are melting here in Maine so he is getting spring fever in a big way. Other than that he seems better each day. I have learned that I had to make adjustments with myself and especially the children. Thanks for all your help, much appreciated. Oh, we cooked a turkey the other night and he sat there and watched me cook, and of course I let him smell it, but he didnt get this one. Have a nice day

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I've said it before, Dobermans are so intelligent and energetic that we need to go to extra lengths to wear them out.
I had a puppy that chewed everything as well. He even ate the seat out of my brand new truck when I left him for 5 min to run into to get milk. When I opened the door to my truck and saw my drivers seat was 25% chewed I just stood there with my jaw hanging open.
So OP I truly understand.
A little crate time is fine for quiet time and safety. I don't like having my dogs in crates. We found another solution.
Garth needed to run!! Walks didn't do it. We played frisbee, catch, tag etc. The key was he just had to run & play. When they are exhausted, the little darlings will have a brief nap (good time to try the crate) but then they will need to run again.

We have had Dobermans since 1999. I've learned many things the hard way. I can promise you Ozzy will be a happier, more settled dog if he can run for hours a day. This needs to continue his entire life.
The chewing comes from pent up energy. He will probably still chew his toys and remove all the stuffing. Some dogs always tear their stuffies apart.

I'm glad you have a sense of humour & patience. Two important ingrediants when owning a Dobie. Have lots of fun with Ozzy! The rewards are worth it.

·
Premium Member
10,160 Posts
Something you should be aware of when it comes to chewing is that there is a period, post actual teething, during which puppies do a lot of chewing, often on hard surfaces to do what is commonly called "setting the teeth". There is a canine dentistry term for it but even vets often just refer to it as "setting the teeth". The chewing on hard objects actually sets the adult teeth in the jaw structure. So count on him doing a fair amount of distructive chewing for several more months.

I stop giving puppies soft, stuffed toys at about 4 months--at that point almost all of my Dobe puppies do nothing except rip them apart and extract the stuffing and squeekers.

The puppies then get the same things the grown dogs get--bones (I use sterile bones with no filling--test them for brittleness by dropping them on cement--if they crack throw them away), Kongs (no filling), Nylabones--the original type. And an odd assortment of toys that seem bullet proof (only because they've lasted through multiple puppies and adult Dobes).

I always crate train--primarily because all my dogs start out as show prospects so they need to know how to settle in a crate and relax at show. And since after they are no longer showing in Conformation they go on to various companion trials (obedience, rally and agility) they need to be used to being transported to and waiting for their turn at the trails.

Good luck-but I'd really make a point of crating him while you are not there at this point--he's likely to be more distructive than less for several more months.

My theory about crating dogs and how they don't like it is that it's about on par with baby and child seats in moving vehicles--I don't care if they don't like it--it's for their welfare.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thank you for the additional info. I too have stopped buying him soft squeeky toys after reading your post. It is just not worth it, he tears them apart in minutes and just do not seem to do him any good. I just bought him a kong toy and fill it with peanut butter and freeze it like one of you suggested, works great. He has dental teething toys with bumps and I buy these hard tennis balls that squeek and look like a big bone. The guy at the pet store says he wont rip through this, so get the big one, ya right 7 days later it doesnt squeek and torn apart. You are right boy does he love to run, the snow and ice are melting here in maine and now some of the grass is showing and he has never seen that, but he loves it. I can't wait for it to warm up to take him down the lake swimming. My only concern about that is he might try tp swim too far so I will put a clothesline on hm, like I do with my st bernard. Any ideas on that topic? My last dobe I had in the 80's, so it was some time ago. Getting used to the crazy little bugger again, lol. By the way he turned 6 months on the sixth and is 26 at the shoulder and 68lbs today. He seems much larger than my last one. Have a great day everyone, I do appreciate all of your input. Your efforts are not wasted in giving your opinion. :)

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Good stuff!!!!!
Freeze the kong too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts