Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do most breeders have this on hand when having a litter? Just curious if vets will give this to individuals or if the vets have to administer?

·
Doberman Slave
2,677 Posts
My repro vet gives me oxytocin as well as calcium injections, and dopramine all prepared in the syringes according to dose. But I never use them without her on the phone telling me when and how much.

Reactions: DobeGirl07

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks for the information. I am just the stud dog owner, but I am trying to ask all the right questions to make sure we are prepared!!

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Do most breeders have this on hand when having a litter? Just curious if vets will give this to individuals or if the vets have to administer?
My vet will not give me any meds - they want to do an xray to see if there is a stuck puppy before giving a shot of pitocin. I had to do this yesterday. I wish I could have had some on-hand..... one of the vets at my practice lives 2 doors down from me and they would not even let her bring it home in case I needed it...... I tried!!

Reactions: DobeGirl07

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks MJ....I am trying to ask all the right questions so that the bitch owner will have everything lined up before the puppies come. We are expecting a litter of 9 or more, so we are getting anxious.

I am so sorry about the loss of your red girl.

·
Extraordimary
4,959 Posts
When I had my litters, my vet lived nearby. She would make sure she brought it home with her just in case I needed her in the night but it usually worked out so that she could stop in on her way to work in the morning, check my girls out and administer it.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
my vet gives me oxy and calcium injections all set to go (with instructions just in case). I usually get this when we go for the x-ray one week before :)

I don't like to use it and check with the vet first.

What you may find really helpful is reading Myra Savant's book on whelping puppies - it's short and has a dvd with it. The info in there is well worth it. That is a must have book for sure!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts