Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, we're sitting around relaxing and I was about to pull out a bully stick for Shanoa. Then, I realized that Simon cannot have one right now (see his thread in the health section if you're interested). I decided not to give one to Shanoa since Simon couldn't have one and it wouldn't be "fair." While we aren't fair 100% of the time (for example, Shanoa goes to class and gets lots of extra treats there), for the most part, both dogs get cookies at the same time, both gets bones or bullies, or whatever. I guess I feel they should both have the same or similar stuff when they are together.

How about the rest of you? Do you make sure everyone has the same?

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I really try to be fair with my guys - I tend to feel guilty because Jordan goes with me a lot and the others stay home. Jordan tends to suffer from anxiety separation so its easier just to take her with me to the store and she's perfectly content to sit in the car but a completely different story if I leave her home.

I always give treats in order of seniority - Moe first, D'Va, Twist, Jordan and then Eli! :) This morning I had a slice of toast with my breakfast and a small piece broke off from the crust. It would have been enough for one dog but not big enough to divide, so I threw it away!

Jan

·
formerly known as moona
1,461 Posts
We have three, and we do try to be as fair as possible.

Dexter and I just went for a quick outing to the pet store for some training and socialization and the girls stayed home. I gave the girls treats before we left but didn't give any to Dexter because I knew he would get plenty on our outing. I think the girls were happy to have some down time to relax while we were away. After we got back, everyone romped around in the back yard for a bit and they all seem pretty happy.

When it comes to kongs and such, when one gets one, they all get one - unless I'm using the kongs to distract someone while I train someone else. I'd like to think it all (somehow) evens out in the end.

When giving something to all of them, I also do what Marieldobes said above - I give treats in order of seniority: Indy, Roxy, then Dexter.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'm just about always fair with treats and bones. Chase works through bones/chews way faster than the terrier girls, so when he's done and ready to come out of his crate, we're all done. I am a little unfair when it comes to taking them places. I bike Chase when the weather permits, and the little girls are left out of that. Also, Chase and Mona go to classes during the week, but Riley does not. But, I never take a dog to class if I don't have someone home to keep the others company while I'm gone. They are alone all day during the week, so I won't leave them alone in the evening.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My two little dogs are basically a package. If one goes then the other goes or they both gets treats or sticks together. With Phoenix it is different. Phoenix is the first one on the list of going to the park then the little ones go if my boyfriend goes(hard watching 3 dogs at once) but my little dogs get to lay on couch and bed. In my mind it evens out lol but everyone gets treats at same time little dogs first while Phoenix waits like a good little boy. :)

·
Alpha
8,119 Posts
mine all have bones and chews at the same time in the same room.. if i walk in the forest they all go.. but if im doing a lead walk ill often take one one day the other the next and the last one the third day.. often if i go somethwere i cant take all three alone i always take zeus as hes bomb proof lol.. and if i took missy alone she would stress and thorn is too much of a boundy puppy on is own .. so zeus wins.. but i dont do that often.. so most of the time its fair unless its impossible !!! i would never take two out and leave one home alone.. could never do that !!!

·
Nub Enthusiast
392 Posts
I try to be fair when dispensing treats at home. However, Kaiser gets to go out and leave the house more. He also gets more chew things, like Nylabones and bully sticks, and occasionally rawhide, but the little ones get the leftovers that are too small for Kaiser once he's done.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
I'm going through that right now, because of Swilly's recent tooth removal. She won't be able to have any chews for a while and they are ALL chew fanatics.

If she can't have one, no one can. But I have been giving them kongs in the evenings, I just put all soft stuff in her's and a few crunchy bits in the other ones.

But mostly, they all just sit and stare at me all evening, like " 'scuse me, you forget something here?"

I've occasionally sent Carson upstairs to watch TV with his dad and have a chew without the girls knowing... :p

·
Super Moderator
22,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do occasionally crate Shanoa and give her something that Simon can't have. She's crated behind a closed door, so Simon doesn't mind to much, since he gets me all to himself during those times.

Reactions: Herb2relax

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Whilst I have 3 dogs it sort of translates to 2 plus 1.

Jack and Russell my 2 Terriers now lead seperate lives to Toby. I take Toby to walk with my friends dogs, but because Jack and Russell are so antisocial with just about any other living thing I walk them just with each other. They do interact with Toby but only when we are there to closely supervise. When it comes to treats/bones etc they are given one each but I give the Terriers theirs outdoors and Toby's indoors.

I also make sure they have an equal amount of cuddles and love, (they get mega jealous of each other if I don't).

·
Registered
589 Posts
Yep, I aim for fairness. Especially with chews and toys and treats. For outings, if it's something I can do more than once I break it up between dogs (like when I run, I loop back mid run and exchange Alfie for Audrey). If it's not (a trip to the store) I will usually leave both at home or take Alfie. Alf always has more energy so he's first on the trip list. But Audrey gets to sleep with me a few nights a week so in my mind that evens out - they both get their "special time" with me.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
We only have our Amy but babysit 2 YorkiePoo (on weekends) frequently.

Fair YES:
All 3 are feed out of seperate dishes, their home cooked meals.
Treats are given out 1-2-3 while they are sitting in the kitchen together.
The little girl has health problems (BYB) - so when my sons little boy is over...the 2 dogs will get a marrow bone each (if we have them).
The little girl is not interested in toys, so the little boy and our Amy share her stuffy toys (a few of Amy's very best toys are hide away, Trevor likes to chew a hole in them).
- both dogs wants want the same toy though...lol...so when one drops the prize, the other one will take it (without issue)...no growling allowed over toys
At Xmas time, eating super...I had all 3 dogs waiting nice beside my kitchen chair, for a little piece of cooked turkey, that I shared on my schedule and then their little paws came up on my pant leg...for a small bite / Amy of course, just stands nearby me, for her Dad to give her a human treat of home cooking.
Every one gets treated equal - always been consistent, and all 3 dogs get along very well together, with manners and an order too house rules (however soft here).

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,466 Posts
As fair as I can be, though I'm not above giving one an extra snack when the other is sleeping in another room or something.

Of course, they both have gotten amazingly good at hearing the sound of chewing all of the way across the house, so sooner or later the sleeping one comes zooming into the kitchen (snack site) for his share.

And by that time, the original snack is all gone, so when I get out a treat for the one who missed out, I have to also get out another treat for the first dog, because you can tell she feels left out and I end up starting all over.......

It's a wonder my dogs aren't overweight.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Amy never goes to bed without her Dad and frequently little Trevor will curl up with my wife at bed time.

If I open the fridge, no matter how softly, Trevor is jumping off the bed, down the steps and right their in no time flat.
He doesn't want to miss out on anything, Amy might have access to.
One night I open up a brick of cheader cheeze...so very quitely, Trevor heard it upstairs...lol...next moment he is standing at my feet, in the kitchen...big eyes looking up at me.
- when I feed the big & small dogs (at 7 lbs.) a treat, Amy gets a full biscuit while the little ones get theirs broke in half

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,466 Posts
Isn't it amazing?

When I go for the cheese in the middle of the night and open the refrigerator door, I get no response (though I can picture them lifting their heads off the pillows to listen better).

When I get the cheese out of its wrapper, I still get no response (I imagine by now they are in a sphinx position waiting for the last key noise before they bother to leave their warm bed).

When I open the drawer to get out the knife, HERE THEY COME!!!

It's cruel really, because for each step in the process, I think that for once I might be successful in getting out the cheese so I can eat it alone, in peace--but they toy with me and then dash my hopes in the end.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Like everyone here, we try to be fair with both our dogs, but sometimes in different ways. I take Odin on walks alone in the evenings because it is too cold for Skylos (min pin) in the winter, and I take both dogs in the mornings for a short walk. Our boys get treats at the same time, except for when I am working on obedience training separately

But of course we love both our dogs the same!!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts