Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In your opinion which breeder produces the most attractive male dobies in either WA, OR, or ID? :)

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
For me that would be Foxfire.

I hope you're basing your breeder decision on things like health testing, titling, longevity, temperament, etc for the dogs and also how comfortable you feel with the breeder as a person - not just the opinions of others on overall attractiveness of the dogs.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Attractiveness is subjective. Dogs should be breed to their respective standard, AKC or FCI. What I find attractive about a dog, others may not (vice versa).

As patch mentioned, I would not base my buying decision (solely) on 'attractiveness'. Health, longevity, temperament, accomplishments, pedigree are tops on my list.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Of course I wouldn't choose a dog solely based on their looks. But hell if I'm going to spend upwards of $2000 for a dog that is not proportional or attractive as they age. All puppies are cute of course! I just figured I would get everyones personal opinion and then look through the breeders website to see how I viewed them myself.

·
Premium Member
10,290 Posts
Of course I wouldn't choose a dog solely based on their looks. But hell if I'm going to spend upwards of $2000 for a dog that is not proportional or attractive as they age. All puppies are cute of course! I just figured I would get everyones personal opinion and then look through the breeders website to see how I viewed them myself.
Without knowing what you do regard as attractive it's really hard to recommend a specific breeder.

I guess I'd recommend one of the show breeders since even their pet puppies tend to look good and you are more likely to find that they are doing appropriate health testing, temperament testing etc.

Unless you plan to show don't ask for a show prospect but even the pets will be attractive. The difference between a show prospect and a puppy who is not can be very minor IF you are buying from a breeder who actually knows the difference and can evaluate the litters.

Check the breeders on the DPCA site. Foxfire in Oregon has been my choice for the last 15 years. But Ravensown, Starlaine, Sherluck in Washington are also producing attractive Dobermans. Idaho only has a couple of breeders and I don't know how often they are breeding which is another thing to consider.

Some breeders only would have a litter every two or three years so you'd have to consider that too--personally I'm willing to wait to get what I want.

Good luck

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Start hitting shows, come home & cross reference the names on Dobequest & OFA.
You can look up upcoming dog shows on infodog or posting a thread for upcoming shows in your area so you can start doing your homework.

It took me what seemed like forever to find my "style"(i like dry slinky dogs)+health stats+proximity(meaning not across the country)+from someone nice but that is just me. I'm wound up 'n stuff.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would absolutely love to have a starlaine pup but I sadly haven't gotten a reply back since submitting my application.. I also realized she stated on her puppy page that all the pups will be black in her upcoming litter and I am wanting a red boy. dang it! Hoping she has another litter soon after, but I'm not holding my breath on it since I don't know how often she breeds.. So bummed!

Here is the general body shape I love c:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I would absolutely love to have a starlaine pup but I sadly haven't gotten a reply back since submitting my application.. I also realized she stated on her puppy page that all the pups will be black in her upcoming litter and I am wanting a red boy. dang it! Hoping she has another litter soon after, but I'm not holding my breath on it since I don't know how often she breeds.. So bummed!

Here is the general body shape I love c:
This is a female, but I think all the breeders produce really good looking Dobes. Wingate has some really beautiful Dobes. Ravensown Co breeds with Foxfire all the time. My boy Odin is from Foxfire N KO Alltimate Madness and the past 3 litters produced a good amount of reds. I actually had to wait because when I first got a hold of Ravensown there was a litter of 4 all red. Then Odin's litter was born and he was a litter of 6 with I believe 2-3 reds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts