Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 4 yr old male dobie and he currently weighs 111 lbs and we also have a 4 yr old Min pin and he weighs 22 lbs. We feed them Dog Chow...Any recommendations on what to feed them and how much each?

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I'd suggest a higher quality food such as Taste of the Wild, Blue Buffalo, Blue Buffalo Wilderness, Innova, Acana, ProPlan, etc... Here is a good site to look at - Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble

How much do you feed each of them? I'd also suggest (slowly) cutting back the amount of food that they eat.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,447 Posts
Make sure you consider the snacks, training treats and table scraps they might be getting. Those can add a surprising number of calories to their daily total.

I would take a look at your vigorous exercise program too. (By vigorous, I mean purposeful walking, running and so on. Time spent in the back yard "free to move around" is unlikely to be enough, sadly) If you doubt they are getting enough exercise, you should start to add, maybe, say, fifteen minutes a day, to their routine. Keep increasing this time every week until you start to see some weight come off, then you can stabilize things til the dogs are where you want weightwise. For your larger dog, you may need to add a considerable amount of time off leash, if possible. Dogs the age of yours shouldn't have too much trouble working their way back to a good weight, but do keep an eye on them for limping, and signs of muscle or joint strain and adjust the exercise accordingly if you feel they need to progress more slowly.

Once you get their weight down to where you want it, you will be able to simply eyeball each dog at feeding time every day and adjust the amount of food they get by little bits according to what you see. The job of weight management is much easier then (and you won't feel so mean LOL). And your dogs will reward you by looking much more agile and happy as they play!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I would agree with switching to a higher quality food, as long as you understand that a smaller quantity of high quality food is worth a larger quantity of low quality food. You would need to reduce quantities in order to lose weight, AND you need to reduce quantity when you switch to a more nutrient-dense food.

As for how much to feed... I dunno. You need to figure out how much food they are getting, and reduce that by about 10%. Weigh them when you begin, and weigh them in three or four weeks. If they have lost weight... great! Stay with that amount until they stabilize, weight-wise, and then re-assess if you need to reduce them more. If they have not lost weight... reduce by another 10% and see if that is enough less that they begin to lose. You want to feed them just a bit less than they need to maintain... reduce the quantity until you find that amount. As they lose, the amount they will need to support their bodies will become less... so, you will have to readjust periodically until they are at a correct weight.

As for treats and extras... yes, they can add considerably! If it is important to you and to the dogs that you share with them, share low calorie things like tiny bits of meat or veggies... TINY bits! Think the size of a lentil (even smaller, for the Min Pin). Dogs don't care how big a treat is or even what it is so much as they care that you give them SOMETHING... licking flavor off your fingertip is rewarding to dogs!

It took a while to get overweight, and it will take a while to reduce to a healthier weight.

Even if there have never been food aggression issues before, keep in mind that food is a more valuable resource if a dog is hungry (which yours have probably never been <G>) and good food is higher value than poor food. Keep an eye on them so that a problem does not develop over food.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
My Dobe is 22 months, 27.5 inches tall and barely 80#. He is fed raw. Mornings are a mix of heart meat, organ meat and some other type of meat, or can of sardines or a egg so the meal equal about a pound. Night time is a bone meal, chicken, turkey, pork, venison, lamb or beef that equals another pound. His treats consist of bully sticks and healthy grain free biscuits or jerky. He is run off leash for at least a one hour hike each day, and then several games of fetch each day.

Look at the dog to see where his weight should be, don't feed what the directions on the bag tell you to. If they are overweight cut back the food you are feeding and up the exercise. If you can, get a higher grade of food.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts