Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have bought a 2nd home in the countryside, and want to put up a run/kennel for Bruno and Diesel to use when we are out and about, and maybe spend the odd night out in the kennel.

Was thinking about a run 2m wide by 3m long, do you think this is large enough? also heating the kennel with infra red lamps...

The kennel/run it's self will be with in a barn that is open on the front aspect only...

Any comments, ideas appreciated...

NDJ

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Diesel chews everything at the moment... surely they would have more fun outside during the day if we are away for more than a four hour period?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I'm not a fan of leaving dogs outside unattended. Too many have been stolen or poisoned. Crates used indoors for destructive dogs can be life savers. Most people that use crates indoors find that there dogs actually like tthe crate for times when they just want to get away. You just have to be sure not to use the crate for punishment and to make it a happy experience when putting the dog in the crate. They really grow to love them as a place of their own.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Congratualtions on the second home :)
Harvey has a kennel and run which he has taken a time to get used to but it is very secure, padlocked, has a roof and is made of thick steel grid sheets and we have locks of the perimeter gates ..basically its like a fortress and who ever manages to get through these precautions were obviosuly on the lookout for trouble and wouldnt have a leg to stand on in court if he hurt them. we have signs everywhere showing tere is a dog present.Hes not vicous or aggressive but it protects him from the outside world where the nasties lurk lol. So what im getting as is theres nothing wrong with the kennel and run but just make sure people are aware its there should anything (god forbid) happen and its like a fortress as theirs no telling what they ,may get up to when you are not their.

2metres by 3 metres is a good size for a dog house but not for spending the whole day in but thats just my opinion~i like Harvey to have plenty of room as the confined space of a crate or a small run would freak him out. The heat lamsp are a good idea but just remeber about electric cables etc but im sure thats something you have already considered.

Harveys run has a built on kennel and its 12 ft long and 6 foot wide roughly so he has plenty of room for when we are out/working.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Those signs could come back to bite you in the butt if your dog does happen to bite someone. Especially if any of them are the snarling Doberman or Doberman watch dog, etc. It could be said that you knew you had a dog that would bite.

·
Extraordimary
4,923 Posts
Diesel said:
Diesel chews everything at the moment... surely they would have more fun outside during the day if we are away for more than a four hour period?
If you have a dog that chews everything now, he'll just move that behaviour outdoors. He'll probably chew any wood, he may chew the fence (I've heard of dogs that have completely stripped vinyl fences of their vinyl, for eg), he may chew rocks, he may chew the cord to the lamps you're contemplating.

IMO, the safest place for your dogs when you're not present is in your house, and crated if they can't be trusted in the house unsupervised.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'm going to put up a kennel next spring for Hero and Tucker. So when I'm going to the store or just running errands then they can be outside enjoying the fresh air. I also live in the country and there isn't alot of people around that would hurt my dogs. The country is the best I sure love it. I also put my Tucker in a crate cause he will crew things and get into anything like the dog food. I would try both. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice.

Twinkletoes, the barn is massive so something 6 x 12 foot will not be a problem. There are a few suppliers in the UK for panels that seem reasonable, and are used by the RSPCA and Ministry of Defence.

Dogs getting stolen or attacking someone, shouldn’t be a problem, as the property and 5-acres of land are all fenced in and gated, kennel/run would also be locked.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
We have a pretty cool set up. that doggy door by the black lab (not our dog...we were watching it for a couple of days) leads into the house. Over by Duch and Coco (my dogs) is a gate that leads to our fenced in yard...this whole thing is fenced in and has a roof and light! haha We put a tarp on it for the wind in the winter.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
CoAl-s-Mom said:
Those signs could come back to bite you in the butt if your dog does happen to bite someone. Especially if any of them are the snarling Doberman or Doberman watch dog, etc. It could be said that you knew you had a dog that would bite.
Very good point. My insurance brooker asked if we had signs like that, we said no we don't. (Which we don't) She said to never get one because if we put a sign up we are admitting to the fact that we have a vicious dog on our property. She said that even if she is, or is trained to attack people we still should never put a sign out. She also said that if we have a sign up that she can not insure our property because of the risk, of someone seeing the sign and they will try to break in to get attacked.

People in this world only think of money and insurance company's do pay...

Just my two cents on this subject. :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
coal and gracie .. i understand waht you are saying but its common place to have signs up warning of a dogs presence here..ive seen people have up up even if they have a yorkie in the garden lol. I dont know whether things are different in the u.s but people here dont have insurance for 'dangerous' or potentially dangerous dogs etc i have insurance against Harvey having an accident/ injury but i dont have insurance against him biting someone ive never seen it available here. I put the signs up to warn of his presence but if i didnt put them up and something bad happend then i would be in greater trouble... Harveys a non-biter ..never showed any aggression in his life and the signs dont show a snarling dobermann or anthing they are just a simple non-breed specific sign that a dog is present.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts