Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I have a 3 month old male dobie, and I am in DESPERATE need of some words of encouragement. I've only had him two weeks, and he's already driving me absolutely insane. He chews EVERYTHING, he will not listen to me AT ALL when I say "No", and his biting draws blood. Walking him on a leash is a struggle, and he refuses to TRY to like his crate...the only thing that seems to be going right is the housebreaking. When does it get better???

Cin

·
Banned
375 Posts
lol well i wish mine would get housebreaking right LOL... but he wont just be patient hun.. i also have a 3 month old male but i also have a female 3 month old... dont give up... he is teething get him lots of chewy stuff let him pick it out... i know i dont like raw h ides but it is the next best thing to my shoes... or those smoke bones at petsmart... the huge ones... omg they are great for teething puppies... get some bones frozen carrots work too just be patient and it will get better..

i started giving them raw and meaty bones a while backand they love them and chew the heck out of them... but give him something great... crate training just put ihim in for five minutes take him out... and then add minutes after a couple hours... biting put some biter apple on your hand or vinegar everytime he bites put soem vinegar on his tongue he will stop... when you tell him no shoot him with a water gun he will stop... that is what i do with prince i hope it works out hun good luck doberkids are great but unruly

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
My suggestions are, well for one take him, roll him on his back with your arm holding him down and upwards across his belly and neck. Don't push or put hurting pressure on him just confine him like that and tell him EASY as he struggles. And from what you're saying I'm sure he will, keep him like that until he relents and stops. Then tell him good and let him up. Do that SEVERAL times a day. Postion your arm so it is over his neck but so he can't get a hold of you. This is what mom dogs do to quiet down unruly babies. My trainer STRONGLY encourages this behaviour for anyone with puppies ESPECIALLY unruly bossy babies. Make sure you have eveyone in the house do this with him too, so he knows he is not the boss of anyone and it will not be tolerated. This is probably the most important advice I can give.

He will continue to chew everything as he is a baby. Just keep an eye on him, give him his own things to chew and another important tip is don't let him have too many toys to chew on just a few. A young dog like that can't be expected to distinguish HIS okay to chew toys and YOUR not okay to chew toys. So you have to make it easy for him to understand by making it as simple as possible for him. When you can't watch over him, put him in his crate, it's for his own safety so he doesn't get a cord or something.

He will learn to like his crate it will just take time. DON'T make the crate punishment when he does something wrong. VERY IMPORTANT! Or he will hate it because it is negative. He will cry and cry. Just leave him alone. Don't talk to him, don't yell at him. don't look at him. It will settle.

As for the rest of the training- TRY clicker training!! I don't know much about it yet, I'm just getting ready to try it too. But some people on here have posted info on it already. But it will help you to mark the good behaviours (however few and far between now!) so he understands and will duplicate them. That will assist in leash work. Also try walking backwards with him infront of you calling him while he's on the leash so he can feel a little leash pressure, but you are rewarding him and calling him in a fun happy voice to come to you, gradually move that into the same fun happy voice calling him to walk beside you while rewarding him. SHORT SHORT training sessions all happy all fun for him now. If you feel like you are getting a little frustrated, STOP. GIve him a command you KNOW he can do like sit or something so you end on a good note and reward him and be done for a while. You can't teach him anything or expect him to learn if you are anxious because it all is communicated to him.

When he bites, either rap him UNDER the chin or hold his mouth closed and say NO BITE. But the biting will lessen on it's own if you follow the dominance tecnique in the beginning paragraph.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
whiteandblue said:
lol well i wish mine would get housebreaking right LOL... but he wont just be patient hun.. i also have a 3 month old male but i also have a female 3 month old... dont give up... he is teething get him lots of chewy stuff let him pick it out... i know i dont like raw h ides but it is the next best thing to my shoes... or those smoke bones at petsmart... the huge ones... omg they are great for teething puppies... get some bones frozen carrots work too just be patient and it will get better..

i started giving them raw and meaty bones a while backand they love them and chew the heck out of them... but give him something great... crate training just put ihim in for five minutes take him out... and then add minutes after a couple hours... biting put some biter apple on your hand or vinegar everytime he bites put soem vinegar on his tongue he will stop... when you tell him no shoot him with a water gun he will stop... that is what i do with prince i hope it works out hun good luck doberkids are great but unruly

I just have to interject here WAB, she is having a leadership issue with her male treating her like a littermate, and bitter apple just says yuk to him, but she won't always have bitter apple sprayed on her when he bites. She must change the behaviour and his outlook towards her as a leader to him not a packmate to chew on. Spraying and "gimmicks" honestly aren't gonna cut it because they don't change his outlook towards her. And you don't always have a spray in your hand when he is doing the undesired behaviour And if he is acting up like he is now, we don't want this to progress as he gets older. She needs to HALT the behaviour in his MIND NOW. Change the behaviour not mask it for a while.

I think from what she says her pup is a little unrulier than yours right now.

·
Banned
375 Posts
good idea i also did this with tasneem and she used to growl and i would turn her on her back and snap my teeth and say no no no... and it worked with her

·
Banned
375 Posts
Lexus said:
I just have to interject here WAB, she is having a leadership issue with her male treating her like a littermate, and bitter apple just says yuk to him, but she won't always have bitter apple sprayed on her when he bites. She must change the behaviour and his outlook towards her as a leader to him not a packmate to chew on. Spraying and "gimmicks" honestly aren't gonna cut it because they don't change his outlook towards her. And you don't always have a spray in your hand when he is doing the undesired behaviour And if he is acting up like he is now, we don't want this to progress as he gets older. She needs to HALT the behaviour in his MIND NOW. Change the behaviour not mask it for a while.

I think from what she says her pup is a little unrulier than yours right now.

i see what you are saying... understand ya sis

·
Banned
675 Posts
It is not necessary to "roll" a puppy, and in fact, these days it is generally considered a bad idea that is obsolete. I have had Dobermans, mostly males, since 1977, and I have never rolled one of them. I have also never been growled at or bitten in anger by one of them, of either sex.

The puppy is only play biting. If he's chewing on something inappropriate, whether it's the furniture, the owner's clothes, or the owner herself, the remedies are similar. For inanimate objects, offer him something you want him to chew instead, such as a toy or rawhide or whatever. Don't give him the opportunity to chew inappropiate things when you can't correct him. If you have to take a shower, or run to the grocery store even for a few minutes, confine him, either in his crate or an ex-pen. Make all his time with you a learning experience, he is a sponge soaking up learning, just like a baby. If you let him chew on things unsupervised, that will be a learning experience for him too, and every time he does it will reinforce and strengthen the behavior. So don't let him do that.

When he bites you, a method that has worked well for me is to shriek as loudly as shrilly as you can. This should startle him into letting go, at least momentarily. When he does, then offer him a substitute for you. Play with him interactively with the toy also. Don't play with him when he's chewing on you. Don't use your hands to rough house with him. He nees to learn that your body parts are not toys.

I posted before about leadership versus dominance. The so-called alpha roll is supposed to show the puppy you are dominant. With most puppies it either scares them or makes them angry, it is not helpful to your emotional bond with the puppy. The Monks of New Skete once recommended it in one of their puppy raising books, but they have since changed that advice.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Okay, that's what my trainer instructed and it worked well for the people in the class with these issues with their puppies as it is a natural state. If done effectively and not abusivly by a person. I did so with Lexy to help establish the roll as the trainer recommended, and she's never been the least angry or frightened.

But their are however many different thoughts on training and I respect that. Micdobes option is very good advice also.

Best of luck with your pup!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
DId your breeder instruct you to do it? I just didn't understand.... Brain doesn't function this late!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks so much for all the adivice! I know he's just a puppy who still has a lot to learn, and I'm trying to be very patient with him...I think it's just that I didn't remember just how frustrating a puppy can be, as I haven't had one in a very long time. My previous dog was 14 when he died, and when he was a puppy I was too young to really deal with all this training...my parents did all the hard work. I've made a list of all of Apollo's "issues", along with ways to correct his bad behavior thanks to your advice, and the countless puppy resources I've looked at. I'm going to post it up in my living room so I can always be reminded of the right way to deal with him. If he weren't so adorable and didn't look so innocent when he's sleeping...I honestly wouldn't know what to do with him :)

Cin

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
If he weren't so adorable and didn't look so innocent when he's sleeping...

Ain't that the truth for them all sometiems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jonkel:

·
Registered
460 Posts
It is not necessary to "roll" a puppy, and in fact, these days it is generally considered a bad idea that is obsolete. I have had Dobermans, mostly males, since 1977, and I have never rolled one of them. I have also never been growled at or bitten in anger by one of them, of either sex
I have to agree with micdobe as well. You don't need to use physical force(even if it is gentle) to assert yourself over a dog or a puppy. I don't think they interpret rollovers and scruff grabs they way we think we do. If you check out the book 'The Other End Of The Leash' by Patrica McConnell, there's a chapter in there called 'The Truth About Dominance' which I found to be very informative about the issue at hand.

Heck, I'm guilty of it as well. When I got my Lab at age five(her not me lol), she thought she was top dog and could do as she pleased. Someone who I had thought was versed in the way of dog training told me that every time she got out of line, to grab her by the scruff of her neck and give her a little shake because that's how alpha wolves disapline the lower ranking members. Well naive new dog owner me, thought that 'hey if wolves do it then it must be right!'...... Following that advice almost got me bit, if it weren't for quick reflexes. :eek11:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I would get your puppy into some training classes. It will be the best thing for you and the puppy. It will also make your bond that much stronger. As far as chewing I really don't know what to tell you. I have never gone through this awful stage. NEVER in my life.

The biting well I am no expert at that. Gracie (almost 2 years old) bit me all the time when we first got her, now she doesn't do it very often. When she does I yell very loud and if she doesn't let go I keep screaming. She has only NOT let go once or twice. She thought my finger was a toy.:eek2:

Gracie also loves her crate, we just took it out of the office a month or two ago and she cried when she seen us taking it down. If she got in trouble she ran to her cage, if she wanted to be next to us while we were on the computer she went to her cage. If she wanted to get away from the cats or if there were to many people in the house she went to her cage. She didn't sleep in it any more so we took it away and she loves having full roam of the house now!

From the time I got her until the time we took the cage away every time I sent her to her cage I would go in there after she laid down and drop a treat into the cage. I wouldn't let her see me do this though. When I got back and I would put a few more in. I also always put a toy in there with her. Her nyla bone, a kong, something. If I didn't grab a toy right away and told her to go to her cage she would go grab a toy. :D

Good luck, I know these guys can really test you. But after you get past this stage you will see why all of us here really admire and love these dogs so much. They are very smart, very funny dogs. :D :D :D :dancing_b

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Dobe_Paws said:
I have to agree with micdobe as well. You don't need to use physical force(even if it is gentle) to assert yourself over a dog or a puppy. I don't think they interpret rollovers and scruff grabs they way we think we do. If you check out the book 'The Other End Of The Leash' by Patrica McConnell, there's a chapter in there called 'The Truth About Dominance' which I found to be very informative about the issue at hand.

Heck, I'm guilty of it as well. When I got my Lab at age five(her not me lol), she thought she was top dog and could do as she pleased. Someone who I had thought was versed in the way of dog training told me that every time she got out of line, to grab her by the scruff of her neck and give her a little shake because that's how alpha wolves disapline the lower ranking members. Well naive new dog owner me, thought that 'hey if wolves do it then it must be right!'...... Following that advice almost got me bit, if it weren't for quick reflexes. :eek11:

Yeah I don't agree with scruffing a dog either that is a form a punishment, and not what a pup needs in this situation needs.

·
Registered
1 Posts

put vinegar/water in a squirt bottle if he barks in appropriate times squirt it in his mouth etc..whatever the issue is squirt it does work and if not increase the vinegar until its strong enough to have effects but it does work and is harmless just watch the eyes when squirting!! and get a pinch collar for training they really work but just dont yank on it hard be gentle and if he is disobedient gently tug on the leash with a quick snap and it usually corrects the problem quickly even with the most stubborn or beastly dogs!! and it really only feels like a pinch to the dog and doesnt hurt them!! i was taught these from a well known and famous dog trainer and i own 2 dobes now a red and rust female and a fawn and rust male and previously owned a red male when i was growing up!! some are just hardheaded and need to be tugged on or squirted with lemon juice/vinegar etc..to get them to stop doing something!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Thanks so much for all the adivice! I know he's just a puppy who still has a lot to learn, and I'm trying to be very patient with him...I think it's just that I didn't remember just how frustrating a puppy can be, as I haven't had one in a very long time. My previous dog was 14 when he died, and when he was a puppy I was too young to really deal with all this training...my parents did all the hard work. I've made a list of all of Apollo's "issues", along with ways to correct his bad behavior thanks to your advice, and the countless puppy resources I've looked at. I'm going to post it up in my living room so I can always be reminded of the right way to deal with him. If he weren't so adorable and didn't look so innocent when he's sleeping...I honestly wouldn't know what to do with him :)

Cin
Am I looking in a mirror??? I'm in the same situation! Snatch was 13 when he died, we had him since I was 9. So Bear is the first puppy I've raised on my own, and goodness knows I have a handful. But luckily I go back home tomorrow (in virginia for work right now yuck, s.o. is taking care of Bear) so I've done plenty of research while I was gone and I'm eager to start working with him once I'm back!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts