Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, sorry for the bad cell phone pictures.

Our 16 week old doberman (Nolan) has some weird bumps in his armpits that have recently appeared.

He also has some smaller one's on his hind legs to which the vet stated was just puppy acne. When we first got him, we were feeding him Bil-Jac puppy food. He seemed to have a slight redness on his belly. We switched him to Nutro puppy food and the redness has since cleared up.

He doesnt seem to be itching or scratching at the site. Any insight to what this could be, before we take him to the vet again?

Here he is in December with our Border Collie mix Isabella.

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
puppies immune system aren't fully developed, so things like 'puppy acne' and other skin infections can pop up. The other one I'd maybe have ruled out is any form of mange.

The food you have chosen is not particularly good - coming from someone that feeds Purina Pro Plan :rolleyesww:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hello!

My dog had something like that this summer. She was 1.5 years old then. I went to 3 different vet and they all did the same exact tests. They looked for parasitic infection like Demodex. They used a blade to scratch the skin then look under the microscope. They did not find nothing. They did a full set of blood test. Still nothing. They give me some Benzoil medicamented shampoo to wash her twice a week. This did helped a lot as she was scratching a lot.

I mention something about a staphylococcus infection and none of them seems convinced and did not do any test about this !!!:confused:

One vet suggested an allergic reaction to her food. At the time I did put her on a new kind of food just prior to this outbreak. I put her back on her regular food. This help a bit but she still had pimples and scratching a lot.

Finally one of the vet decided to put her on antibiotics and that did the trick The pimples are almost all gone and she almost do not scratch anymore. So it must have been a Staph infection since it reacted to the antibiotics.

I also ordered the kit from NZYMES.COM: Official Site! natural Supplements for Pets and People which is helping even more. Go and see their web page. A lot of interesting reading about how to help your dog.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The food you have chosen is not particularly good - coming from someone that feeds Purina Pro Plan :rolleyesww:[/QUOTE said:
Can you elaborate on this for me? I was just going by the back of the bag for ingredients on both the Bil-Jac (which my other dogs have liked) and switched to Nutro to see if he was allergic to what was in Bil-Jac which is mainly chicken. From past my experiences, the better the food is ingredient wise for the dog, there have been far less land mines in the back yard and seem to have nicer looking coats.

The bump's don't seem to be bothersome to him or cause him any pain, just want to see if this is somewhat "normal" to the doberman breed as this is our fist one.

Thank's for the reply's so far. :thanx:

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
Can you elaborate on this for me? I was just going by the back of the bag for ingredients on both the Bil-Jac (which my other dogs have liked) and switched to Nutro to see if he was allergic to what was in Bil-Jac which is mainly chicken. From past my experiences, the better the food is ingredient wise for the dog, there have been far less land mines in the back yard and seem to have nicer looking coats.

The bump's don't seem to be bothersome to him or cause him any pain, just want to see if this is somewhat "normal" to the doberman breed as this is our fist one.

Thank's for the reply's so far. :thanx:
the foods we have chosen to feed have a lot of corn/grain/processed crap/animal byproducts.... just general yucky stuff. Some dogs handle the processed corn/grain better than others.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Could be staph infection. My dobe started to look like that and then her coat got thinner and eventually she was covered in bumps and scabs. Cephalexin antibiotics worked great and cleared her up totally. She never scratched or looked uncomfortable though, she just looked horrible.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Puppy acne and staph are the same thing and common in doberman puppies. As DR stated, it is because your pups immune system is not mature yet. Most vets want to wait and see if the puppys immune system will take care of puppy acne, before prescribing antibiotics. If the puppys system doesnt take care of the acne, the vet will prescribe an antibiotic, hopefully a months supply. If the staph keeps coming back after several rounds of antibiotics, you are probably looking at him having food allergies.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I would put them on the Nzyme program. I put our pups on that before ear cropping and then continue it on and I suggest the new owners do the same. We've had good success with it ....

It could also be ringworm....you could try ointment from the drugstore to see if that helps at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts