Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im Samantha and my boyfriend and I recently just got our first black and tan Dobie girl together, it took a little coaxing at first but after I put the breed in such a high light from the girls i have had in the past he went for it. It has been a month and she is such a blessing. She is a little over a year and I just have some questions and I was wondering if anyone could answer them.

The way we got her was an add on craigslist. The people who we got her from took her in from someone who had cancer. She is AKC registered, has her cgc, and i am in the process of getting her RN great looking job on her ears as well. One of my question is has anyone heard of William Terrell as a breeder? It looks like the kennel name would be Dalstys. I have looked him up and all i have found is a phone number, any information on them would be great.

Also she has done so well with manners but, the only thing she is having a problem with is whenever I or my boyfriend are on the couch Jayda is not allowed up unless we say it is ok then she will curl up in the corner and sleep for several hours. I only allow her to come up if she is not pacing or being a brat about it. The thing is she would stand there staring at us for a half an hr with bloodshot eyes because she is above the floor. She has a nice big dog bed and a crate she could retreat in to. She is just to damn good for that.

Please, any suggestions or knowledge would be great

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I have not heard of that breeder but good luck with new puppy! I hope she brings great joy to your life. But next time around....me personally I would never buy/get a puppy from CL.;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know. Shame on me! The location was in Cleveland wich is a very poor area and i just didn't want to see her going to a fighter or being put in a situation with stupid people :[ I was just a sucker for those big brown eyes!

Thanking you for looking tho!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
did i say anything wrong, is there a reason why people are just turning there noses up?

i have been reading threads on here for a while now, and i thought everyone would be very helpful. i am not a novice owner who does not know what i am doing. I have titled my golden with her gcg, tdi, cd, rn, and rx. As well as showed in the conformation ring multiple times with English Mastiffs and was asked to go to Westminister. No I am not trying to make myself sound better I am just trying to state I am not incompetent, im only asking for some help.

I just was not expecting this.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
huh?? who turned their nose up at you? I thought you were asking about the breeder to which threads were provided talking about them.

did i say anything wrong, is there a reason why people are just turning there noses up?

i have been reading threads on here for a while now, and i thought everyone would be very helpful. i am not a novice owner who does not know what i am doing. I have titled my golden with her gcg, tdi, cd, rn, and rx. As well as showed in the conformation ring multiple times with English Mastiffs and was asked to go to Westminister. No I am not trying to make myself sound better I am just trying to state I am not incompetent, im only asking for some help.

I just was not expecting this.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was my fault for not stating a clear second question.

I am just having such a difficult time with her during the "you are not allowed on the couch, you are ok on the floor for a minute" kind of idea. I am struggling to not just let her get on the couch whenever she pleases. She gets plenty of excersize so i know she is exhausted but if we do not let her on the couch she will stand there and stare at us. I have tried to ignore it, turn her intrest to a toy, but she just gets up or stares even longer. I dont want to praise her for having to be obnoxious about it when i tell her to go lay down and she refuses but on the other hand i dont know what to do.

I hope to get some helpful feedback.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Sounds like she wants to be near you maybe? Where is her dog bed located? Can you move it so it's right next to the couch, where you sit? If she gets in the bed, reward with a super yummy treat like a bully stick or a kong stuffed with a dog cookie.

I don't allow my dogs in our bed or on the "good" furniture LOL But they have their own dog couches right next to my couch.

I am just having such a difficult time with her during the "you are not allowed on the couch, you are ok on the floor for a minute" kind of idea. I am struggling to not just let her get on the couch whenever she pleases. She gets plenty of excersize so i know she is exhausted but if we do not let her on the couch she will stand there and stare at us. I have tried to ignore it, turn her intrest to a toy, but she just gets up or stares even longer. I dont want to praise her for having to be obnoxious about it when i tell her to go lay down and she refuses but on the other hand i dont know what to do.

·
MOATS
1,922 Posts

Well the problem is that you are expecting your Doberman to lay on the floor, no Doberman wants to lay on the floor when there is a soft cushy sofa right there with plenty of room to squeeze in and cuddle!

Seriously though, have you tried teaching place? Or do you have a dog bed on the floor that she can claim as her own?

·
_______
5,102 Posts
[email protected] staring at you. That look is them trying to telepathically mind meld you into what they feel in their mind is their due.

We didn't let our girl graduate to the couch for a long time, but had her as an older puppy. She had her own papasan and a kuranda bed to lie on.
We had such a good grasp of "place" she would go "place" as soon as she saw any of us w/a plate in our hand to eat.
But....we've lapsed on that one, she's just not allowed to stare us down while we eat.
Her version of "place" now is moving to another couch.

Good luck w/your girl. :)

·
Registered
647 Posts
It's true, I think we all know the Doberstare. The trick is to never give into it! Alas I am weak of will and my girl is just too stinkin' cute most of the time so I will pet and love on her as she shoves her nose into my eyeball while I'm trying to watch something on my laptop on the couch. It's not that she wants to get up on the couch (she knows she isn't allowed on this couch and hasn't ever been allowed on it since she has her own couch), but she wants the attention.

In your case, don't give in and ignore her. And as everyone else said, make sure her bed is near the couch so she still feels included and comfy. They're very delicate dogs and couldn't possibly bother with laying on the floor when there's something better to sleep on!

Edit to add: thanks for rescuing this girl from CL! Pictures?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thank you for all your suggestions!

I am glad that you guys understand THE LOOK i am talking about :)!

Well i thought her bed wich is made out of 3 memory foam pillows would be good enough, but i really like the beds that i was shown the link too! instead of her bed being right next to the couch it is right between our leg room and she seems to be content with it at this moment :roflmao:

I am just here to please her. this has become verrry obvious

She is pouting. . .

Close up :)

·
_______
5,102 Posts
thank you for all your suggestions!

I am glad that you guys understand THE LOOK i am talking about :)!

Well i thought her bed wich is made out of 3 memory foam pillows would be good enough, but i really like the beds that i was shown the link too! instead of her bed being right next to the couch it is right between our leg room and she seems to be content with it at this moment :roflmao:

I am just here to please her. this has become verrry obvious

She is pouting. . .

Close up :)

WHAT a cutie pie. I'd have a hard time not indulging her too ;)

·
Super Moderator
21,988 Posts
I would recommend picking the place you want her to be (my dogs really like this bed: UDesign Pet Bed - PetSupplies.com - we filled it with a plush comforter), and then teaching a "go to bed" command. While you are working on teaching that, you have to ignore "the look." If you are diligent in training, she will learn to lie down in her bed.

That said, I don't mind dogs on the couch, so mine are up with me all the time. If I need them to be off the couch for some reason, they will go lie down in the dog bed.

Reactions: Jayda2012

·
Registered
52 Posts
Very pretty girl!

Reactions: Jayda2012

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MeadowCat, this is where i am having the biggest difficulty. She has her bed on my side of the bed for at night. And a bed as well as her padded crate in the living room with us. During the day when i am the only one home I allow her to be on the couch when i say it is ok. . . but once the boyfriend gets home after a long day, all he wants to do is relax and Ms. Jayda Bear does not seem to understand let daddy relax for just a few minutes on the couch. As soon as he sits down she just gives him this look like " Ummm me and mommy have been fine you need to scoot it." She watches me constantly, and it is whatever mommy says goes in her head. I am wondering if he just lets her jump up without inviting her and this is why she is being such a stickler about staring. . .because she knows she will get her way :rolleyesww:

·
Super Moderator
21,988 Posts
Consistency is really, really important. If you aren't 100% consistent with only letting her up once she's invited you are just asking for trouble! If he's letting her up without an invite she's getting mixed messages.

Also, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, those front nails in the pic you just posted look really, really long! Could just be the angle, but they might need a trim :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is one of the pictures from when we first got her, they are now cut thanks to Petsmart :)

I really want to be able to use the Dremel on her but she seemed really nervous . . . I have gradually been getting one nail at a time to make her more comfortable with it while shes eating out of her Kong so they will never be like that again

1 - 20 of 28 Posts