Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was taking Maggie for a walk/run last night at our local track. She was doing very well with heeling until recently. Her legs and body have grown so long here lately that her pace has increased and she is starting to get ahead of me at times, but she is still doing ok.

Long story short....we were finishing the last lap and suddenly, Maggie cuts in front of me while we were in a full run. I flew over her and slammed into the ground dropping the leash in the process. Now I and many of you have had bike accidents as a child where you're picking gravel out of some body parts hours later, but at 35, it's lots worse!!!!! It felt like a semi hit me. It scared her a bit, but she came right back to me. My hand now looks like a gravel driveway! Ughh.

For the love of dog.

·
Premium Member
8,910 Posts
les strat said:
So I was taking Maggie for a walk/run last night at our local track. She was doing very well with heeling until recently. Her legs and body have grown so long here lately that her pace has increased and she is starting to get ahead of me at times, but she is still doing ok.

Long story short....we were finishing the last lap and suddenly, Maggie cuts in front of me while we were in a full run. I flew over her and slammed into the ground dropping the leash in the process. Now I and many of you have had bike accidents as a child where you're picking gravel out of some body parts hours later, but at 35, it's lots worse!!!!! It felt like a semi hit me. It scared her a bit, but she came right back to me. My hand now looks like a gravel driveway! Ughh.

For the love of dog.
Well, hopefully she will learn not to do that, and count yourself lucky that you are not seriously injured. I tripped over Velma in the conformation ring when she did the same thing at 7 months old and shattered my left foot.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
velmadobe said:
Well, hopefully she will learn not to do that, and count yourself lucky that you are not seriously injured. I tripped over Velma in the conformation ring when she did the same thing at 7 months old and shattered my left foot.
Oh no - in the ring?!

So how did it affect her score, and how's your foot now?

·
Registered
891 Posts
OMG I think I have had more accidents with my dogs than anything else!!! Gadget was the worse, several black eyes (you'd think I'd learn not to lean over him LOL). He would trip me, clip my knees down I would go and fat lips too, and many other things. PeeWee gave me a black eye last X-mas and I would get the "you poor thing" look from strangers !!!

·
Premium Member
8,910 Posts
les strat said:
Oh no - in the ring?!

So how did it affect her score, and how's your foot now?
yep, in the ring at my Doberman clubs specialty show. You can ask Nancy about it as she was there :)

The class went on - another handler ran in a took Velma who was a little rattled (she was just a puppy), I got dumped in an ambulance and hauled away.

I still limp as it was a really bad breaK (lis franc fracture with dislocation) and just never healed well, but can laugh about it now - I kept the screws that held my foot together in a jar after they were finally taken out. When I get too full of myself, I can take them out and look at them to remind myself that we all fall on our face sometimes - LOL. In actuality, I never fell down. Tripped and tried to recover but took a really bad step. Just dumb luck. That is why I say that you are lucky you did not really get hurt. It will teach you to make sure the dog stays next to you and you will learn from it.

Velma still tries to forge ahead of me when she is excited (which is a lot). I've stepped on her paws a few times to remind her of where her place is.

·
Banned
675 Posts
My first Doberman Radar used to run right at me on free runs. I was afraid he was going to run into me. His breeder told me to fall on him on purpose and he would think he had caused it and stop doing that. I didn't actually fall *on* him, but I did fall close to him on purpose the next time he did it and he did stop doing it. But then after that he deighted in seeing how close he could run by without actually hitting me.

·
Registered
986 Posts
PeeWeesMama, I can relate to the boney head in the face routine. It's totally unintentional of course, but doesn't it feel like your face was a little too close to a major leaguer when he was warming up w/a Louisville Slugger? More than once I thought I would have a black eye or broken jaw...luckily (or unluckily), my head is as hard as Oscar's. You are not alone...ahhhh, what we suffer through for the big boneheads! Now I must say, either he's getting better w/age or more likely, I'm subconsciously keeping my face out of the red zone these days. Whatever...scientists should study dobie skulls as they may contain a substance harder than carbon.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
That's gotta hurt,the one thing i really hate is gravel burn, aaagh making me wince just thinking about it.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Les Strat,
I'm just counting the days until the same thing happens here! Almost did a week or so back when a shrew ran out and startled her, we were going at a pretty decent pace when she bounced right infront of me, knocking me off balance in the process - I have no idea how we avoided major road rash that day!

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Ouch. I hate hearing these stories. It makes me cringe. I hope your road rash feels better. I know how hard the heads are though. Harmony raised her head to give me kisses when she was smaller and knocked my glasses back into my face. Ended up cutting my face pretty bad. I was asked by numerous people if my doberman attacked me.:rolleyesw Sure, by her tongue. It was horrible. I move my face away from their heads now when I have my glasses on.

Velma, I never heard of anyone getting hurt in the ring like that. That is just amazing. You would never think that would ever happen.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
brumwolf said:
That's gotta hurt,the one thing i really hate is gravel burn, aaagh making me wince just thinking about it.
It's no fun that's for sure!

The damage to my right hand is right in the lower center of the palm of your hand where the hand kind of folds (lifeline in palmreading?). The gravel was buried in my hand and up under the other tissue. Bad thing was, I had to pick it out with my feft hand and tweezers.............and I'm not a lefty!!!!!!!! :(

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Oh my! Now I know what ya'll meant by all our dobes are hurting us LOL.

I am so sorry les strat, I know that had to hurt!!

Poor babies, they want a lot of love and they give a lot of pain LOL, but they have no clue.

:3dbiggrin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts