Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people,

My dobe girl has a bilateral otohematoma on her floppy ears. Yesterday she runned like crazy with my male, they had been separated cause she was in heat so they were very happy to be together again. She has no ear infection, it was from yesterday's craziness session.

My vet told me it was too diffuse to drain it, so she had an anti-inflamattory shot + anti-inflammatory enzymes and some arnica gel. Also she has a dougnut and both ears are tapped carefully around her head so that she dosent shake them.
She said to wait a few days to see if it goes away or if not she will drain it.

I was sure she had to drain ir right now..I also contacted the surgeon who cropped my boy who performs the surgery in case we need it cause my vet said she can't do it.

What do you guys think?

Dog Plant Carnivore Grass Dog breed

Her natural ears are very slim like bible paper.

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Plant Fawn

Yesterdays CRAZy running

---------------------------------------------------------------

Ears today:

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Gesture Finger

Hand Reptile Plant Scaled reptile Flowerpot
Dog Dog breed Window Carnivore Working animal

·
Premium Member
13,883 Posts
A lot of early hematoma's on ears have more swollen tissue than blood filling a layer between skin and cartilage. What your vet did pinning them down so she can't keep shaking them is a technique I've seen actually work on a few dogs but most ear hematomas need to be drain and quilted as described above^^^--just draining usually ends up simply refilling with more blood. The ears rarely look the same even after very successful treatment (drain, quilt) so be prepared for that--what lestat^^^ describes as "stiffer" is about as good as you get at best they'll lay flat again but some never lay properly again.

Too bad that happened she had very nice ears.

dobebug

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It is a shame, I love her ears. I hope this goes well for her.

I just talked with my pup’s surgeon and he told me he Is going out of town 😢 but on Monday he will be able to perform the surgery if needed. He said pinning the ears was a wast of time, like you too are saying.
I wouldnt do It with any other vet since he has like 40 years of experience in cropping dobes.
Also he told me that if the swelling wasn’t too bad and if she didnt mess with her eaRs there was a chance that thw swelling would be reabsorved.
In some cases the bleeding stops..

And I just checked and her ears are almost as usual? Is this possible? I am in shock!!. They are hot though and still attached.
Maybe It was just swollen tissue as Dobebug says?

Now she is in her crate and I will be checking on her during the night. I don’t want her to Shake her head without the ears beeing attached.

·
Premium Member
13,883 Posts
Well, I can only tell you about the dogs I've seen in the clinic where I work (mostly Lab's and Goldens) I've seen dogs where the owner wanted to try letting the ear absorb the fluid (usually blood) and have never seen it work. I've also never seen extracting the fluid (usually blood) doesn't seem to generally work--just fill back up with blood (or serum). And judging by what has happened with all of the hematomas I've seen in the last 15 years or so--the internal bleeding never really stops so all of the dogs we've had a patients have ended up with quilted ears after the ear is first drained and then quilted.

That last picture looks pretty much like most of the ears our vets have drained and quilted . It looks like it's full of blood/and or serum (mostly blood I'd bet)

Monday? that's kind of a long wait--I've been told by the owners of some of the dogs that the dogs seem to think their ears are painful when full of fluid. I guess if that happens you might ask your regular vet to at least drain the ear.

Good luck--hematomas are always kind of a mess and the ear ones rarely do what some of the ones on the body do--slowly absorb and disappear.

Poor girlie.

dobebug

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ohhh wow. Not a good prognosis.

Yeah.. he is coming back on Monday and if I want the ear to be quilted properly (or the best way possible) It is better to wait for him. He wanted to send me to a college but he also isnt available right now.
If she gets her ears fuller I will takeher to my vet at least to drain it.

Thank you Dobebug!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I just came to check again and Her ear thickness is normal or almost normal nothing as in the morning. The right one a tiny bit swollen the left one normal 🤨🤨

Sorry I know It is a crappy photo but I don’t want to remove her bandages until tomorrow.
L
Hand Dog Ear Gesture Finger

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Good morning!

Her ears are back to absolutly beeing normal.
Miracles can happen?
I will still atach them and give her the medicine the vet said.

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Collar Working animal

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Human body Gesture Finger Wood Thumb

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am still shocked. But wondering if It could swell again? My vet said yo continue the treatment and no playtime.

So she got one shot of Dezametasona at the vet.
Then I gave her some edematological enzymatic anti-inflammatory pills: PAPAINA 14mg. And rubbed her ears with Arnica Gel.
Vet said: attack dosage 6pills (I gave her 7 🙄). Six hours later I gave her 2 pills and we went to sleep. I went to check on her a few times and the swelling was going down..

My male was prescribed the same medicine when he got some swelling reaction from the shots. But since he was a pup he could only take 2 per day and took a month for them to dissapear.

———-//////

Here is the Papaina pill info translated by google:

FORMULA
Papain 30,000 U1.14 mg; Lactose monohydrate,
128mg; excipients q.s. p. 200mg
INDICATIONS
The action of papain is recognized for its marked effects proteolytic, being beneficial the fibrinolytic and antiedematigenic effect in the
most inflammations.
Therefore, Enzimol can be useful in the inflammatory processes associated with closed traumatisms (with edemas or hematomas), tumors (paraneoplastic syndromes), surgical interventions (avoiding synechiae, reducing inflammation and edema) dental processes (periodontitis, abscesses
teeth, etc.).
In case of deficiencies in digestive processes, the action of papain can normalize adequate protein digestion.
ROUTE OF DOSAGE
Oral
DOSAGE
In Atack Therapy: 4 tablets / animalv
In Maintenance Therapy: 1-2 tablets / animal
Interval between doses: 6 to 8 hours
Treatment duration: The duration of treatment may vary remission of the clinical picture of origin.

PRECAUTIONS FOR USE
No special precautions should be taken, other than what you may recommend
the veterinary professional.
CONTRADICTIONS
Do not administer Enzimol in cases of blood dyscrasias, hemophilia, or in
patients treated with anticoagulants.
TOXICITY
The product is non-toxic at recommended doses.

Font Rectangle Wood Electric blue Advertising

·
Big Lil pup
8,589 Posts
That is terrific.

That is the thing about medical emergencies... There are is always the possibilities of outliers when it comes to recovery, regardless of the usual, and typical prognosis. This goes both ways. Fortunately, you and your girl were on the positive side of the spectrum. Unfortunately, we recently experienced being on the other side.

In any case, I don't whether your vet is an awesome diagnostician and treatment provider, or just got lucky. That's irrelevant. Great news!

Now about that huge, swollen nose.....

Dog Eye Dog breed Carnivore Collar

John L
Portland OR

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
30,560 Posts
This is probably a silly question, but since your vet said it was diffuse and it went down so quickly, I'm wondering--maybe someone can tell me.

Is there any chance this could have been a bug bite or sting?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is probably a silly question, but since your vet said it was diffuse and it went down so quickly, I'm wondering--maybe someone can tell me.

Is there any chance this could have been a bug bite or sting?
I think not, It was bilateral. Maybe she tried ti say that It wasn’t a bag so full of liquid but there was kind of a type of triangle shape.

I sent some videos and photos to my surgeon and he said It was otohematoma for sure and that in some very rare cases the swelling is reabsorbed if you keep the dog and its ears still. And also IF the hematoma isn’t that bad.
And said quote ‘ your vet knows nothing, what does It mean It is DIFFUSE!! don’t let anybody touch her ears!!’ he is a bit old crancky man…🥲😬

My vet in fact told me that It wasn’t her área since she is a clinic and well maybe she used that term but thanks to her indications she is now okey 💪🏼 I am very thankfull and shocked.

what do you guys think?

I believe she was those rare cases in which the liquid is reabsorved.

her ears where heavy and if she lifted her head they went backwards. Her ears never move like that u less she is facing the sky, they are always very on top of the head.
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Working animal Collar

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is terrific.

That is the thing about medical emergencies... There are is always the possibilities of outliers when it comes to recovery, regardless of the usual, and typical prognosis. This goes both ways. Fortunately, you and your girl were on the positive side of the spectrum. Unfortunately, we recently experienced being on the other side.

In any case, I don't whether your vet is an awesome diagnostician and treatment provider, or just got lucky. That's irrelevant. Great news!

Now about that huge, swollen nose.....

Dog Eye Dog breed Carnivore Collar

John L
Portland OR
I don’t know, my vet is a very calm person, she said don’t worry she will be okay with this treatment! She keeps you thinking positive.

What was relevant in this case is that my vet is always available, i don’t have to make an apointment to go an see her.. so I am very glad. Maybe it went well because she was diagnosed so quickly and had the right medicine?

Maybe if I had go to an X vet in an emergency room and she would have go direclty to surgery. With her I got lucky but with my male and that other vet that misdiagnosed him It was a nightmare.

What happened to you guys?

·
Premium Member
13,883 Posts
Interesting! I didn't realize until this last post and pictures of your bitch that the swelling was bilateral.

I don't know why your surgeon snorted at the idea that the swelling might have been described as diffuse though. The first picture of the one ear definitely looked like an early diffuse swelling and that often the first stage of an ear hematoma.

But it doesn't make any difference in this case--the treatment as prescibed worked. And that's the really important part.

PS I don't think that an emergency vet would have gone directly to surgery on the ears considering what I thought was only one ear involvement. But that's just my opinion--I'm not a vet and will be the first to recommend a vet's opinion over mine.

dobebug

1 - 20 of 28 Posts