Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone order their dog food online or do auto ship? I'm thinking of doing this. Petflow is the company I'm leaning towards. Any opinions on this or another company would be appreciated.

·
Got mutt?
13,840 Posts
I ordered from Pet Food Direct once, because I wanted to try some foods I couldn't get locally. One bag they sent, while "technically" still in date, only had about a month to go before its "sell by" date, and they still charged me full price for it. I may or may not try them again. There are still brands I'd like to try, but shipping costs can be a killer.

Reactions: Sage and Ripley!

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Does anyone order their dog food online or do auto ship? I'm thinking of doing this. Petflow is the company I'm leaning towards. Any opinions on this or another company would be appreciated.
I order Razzle's Honest Kitchen food from a place called Arcata Pet Supply. I get delivery in 3 working days on a really reliable basis.

Used to order it directly from Honest Kitchen, but they created this screwy setup where the food is made in San Diego, then ALL of it is shipped to the east coast. So a food that's made about 100 miles from me has to be shipped across the country, then shipped right back to me! That means instead of overnight delivery I had to wait 5-7 days for delivery.

If there was a retail store close by in my area that carried it, I sure wouldn't order it online, but the freight charges are very little more than it would cost me in gas to get to the closest store that stocks it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I looked into it, but couldn't find a place cheaper than the store ~5 miles from home. I get Orijen for my guy, and by the time I factor in the "buy 12 get one free" that the store does, all of the online prices are about the same, but still have shipping additional on them. If I didn't have the store close by, I'd def be using Petflow or something similar.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
I've gotten Elka's Taste of the Wild flavor from MrChewy.com. Granted, they did give me a $50 virtual gift card and asked me to review the service. But, the turnaround was fast, and the price was what TOTW costs, and I think they have an auto-deliver option, plus free shipping if the order is that much.

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
I second Mr.chewy. Before I found a local store that has nearly every great brand for exceptional prices, Mr. chewy was always the cheapest foods I could find. They also offer free shipping on every over over $49 (which most 30lb bags are). Also, if you buy a $40 bag, but want free shipping, throw in some treats or something in order to save on the shipping. For a lot of brands of dog food, because its tax free and shipping free, I would save money compared to any local dog food store.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
eI have used K9 Natural, Pet Food Direct and Pet Food Pharmacy(these two are basically the same company) and my last was Mr. Chewy.

Most pet food supplies will give you free shipping on your first order, so you can kind of float around companies for a while. In order to get the free shipping on orders over $49 deals, you have to sign up for auto delivery once a month. But you can cancel, change order dates, brands of food anytime, so I finally signed up.

Natural K9 delivery for me in in three days via UPS, gobs of stick to you popcorn in box. Pet Food Direct and Pet Food Pharmacy use bubble wrap, thank you, and delivery is two days I think, maybe it was three via UPS.

Mr Chewy delivery was in two days, missed who delivered it, and no protective wrap at all. I signed up for their 30 day delivery because the prices were better. Don't know if I will stay with them or not???

I have discovered ordering food for me is cheaper because I don't have to pay sales tax. Tax here is 9.75, so not paying an extra $6 or $7 dollars, plus no gas money spent and the fact I open my door and there is my dog food is great!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I order Razzle's Honest Kitchen food from a place called Arcata Pet Supply. I get delivery in 3 working days on a really reliable basis.

Used to order it directly from Honest Kitchen, but they created this screwy setup where the food is made in San Diego, then ALL of it is shipped to the east coast. So a food that's made about 100 miles from me has to be shipped across the country, then shipped right back to me! That means instead of overnight delivery I had to wait 5-7 days for delivery.

If there was a retail store close by in my area that carried it, I sure wouldn't order it online, but the freight charges are very little more than it would cost me in gas to get to the closest store that stocks it.
I just got on The Honest Kitchen site, never heard of it. This food sounds awesome! I've been feeding Ripley and Bianca TOTW. The price is on the cheaper end of the grain free options, and seems to have fewer ingredients then some of the other grain free. I've tried to look into everything, but it's so overwhelming. Since you have experience with this food, how long does it take you to go thru a box? It seems quite pricey. What if I mixed the two brands?

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Since you have experience with this food, how long does it take you to go thru a box? It seems quite pricey. What if I mixed the two brands?
Razzle goes through a 10 lb. box in about 2 weeks. I think if I were going to combine HK food with kibble, I'd probably feed each in a separate meal.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I started using Petflow in December and so far so good. I got a bag last month that did not smell right when opened. Contacted them and was told to send the upc in and they would send a replacment.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I found doggiefood.com recently and it seems to be cheaper then any other site I have found (at least for Honest kitchen). My dogs LOVE Honest Kitchen, but now that I am a student, again, I cant really afford it all the time so I mix it with their kibble and they are quite happy with that situation. Although I just ordered some Ziwipeak to switch it up a bit ( I think my little dog is allergic to flax) so we will see how that goes :)

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
I use Pet Food Station, free delivery over 49lbs also. Usually they also have a 10 or 15 dollar off coupon I use. It does take 5 working days to get my order but I order when my previous food is about half gone so it isn't an issue. I think they have a nice selection.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts