Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Da Boss
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HQ Dobermans

I've been researching some breeders in my area and found HQ Dobermans. They are currently waiting on a litter that they've co-bred with Abadie Dobermans. (I've asked who the parents are and am still waiting to find out.)

I'd like your opinions please as I'm just in the research process. My DH is having some medical issues and until we have that figured out we don't want to add to the family. I want to make sure that if we get a puppy we have the time and energy to focus on her (we'd like another female). We don't want Brandy to feel left out either! :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I've seen them at quite a few shows around the state and in Illinois and haven't heard anything but good about them and they produce some beautiful dogs from what I have seen :)

The best way to feel a breeder out IMO is email/call them ask your most pertinent health, temperament, and etc... questions. Of course be honest you are researching as well so they don't feel they have a possible buyer only for you to walk away, if you know what I mean.

·
Da Boss
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

We actually did consider a rescue and adopted a one year old blue/tan boy named Axel. Unfortunately, he exacerbated hubby's back injury. We didn't know and the foster family he was with didn't either, that he is extremely bike aggressive. On our first walk with him DH did everything he could to get him back under control when a bike went by and re injured his back in the process. He's not been able to work since and we're waiting to find out if he needs surgery. (They're trying injections first).
The foster family felt horrible and agreed to take him back and work on his issues, but have since decided that Axel would be better off in a home in the country. It was extremely heartbreaking for me as I never once considered what would happen if it didn't work out.
I'm not against trying rescue again, but hubby and I were thinking a puppy might be better for our situation. Just thinking that I'd be able to take it to puppy classes from the very beginning, etc. We have to wait now until everything calms down with his back of course which gives me a lot of time to research.
If anyone has thought or insight, I'd be glad to hear it.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
If your hubby has a back problem, I second the senior dog. Puppies are A LOT of work.
Or if you can find an older dog from a good breeder.

·
Da Boss
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My only thought on that is I'd love to be able to get into agility, something that I never did with Brandy and always regretted. I've thought about doing nose work with her now, but that's a whole different thread!
Is there any detriment to the dog if one partner does the majority of the training? We're still young(ish), early 30's and I'm pretty active so Brandy goes with me on all my hikes and walks.

Reactions: Darkevs

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Agility!!!

You should see my guys go through the bush! :)

and their older noses work just fine. :)

I do not think it matters who does all or none of the training. :)

Hugz to Brandy!

eta.....Love the Doberman Magazine cover your Hubby did, very nice job!

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
My only thought on that is I'd love to be able to get into agility, something that I never did with Brandy and always regretted. I've thought about doing nose work with her now, but that's a whole different thread!
Is there any detriment to the dog if one partner does the majority of the training? We're still young(ish), early 30's and I'm pretty active so Brandy goes with me on all my hikes and walks.
I think you're right to research what you want.

Dobermans who come from proven performance lines, with health testing in place, would be a great choice for a competitive agility partner.

If the right rescue comes along at some point, that's great too, but this forum absolutely supports either ethical way to acquire a new Doberman companion--thru an ethical breeder or thru rescue.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I do most of the training with my dogs, but they'd go with anyone to do hunting (Vizsla), agility, frisbee or conformation.

IF you really want to do agility, you may want to consider going with proven lines that do some kind of performance work. Not all dogs are cut out to do everything.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I am not familiar with HQ Dobermans, but based on their website alone, I would say they are worth looking into. Their breeding dogs have conformation titles, and it looks like a few of their dogs do agility and obedience. I like the "reunion" pictures they have on the site- an indicator that they most likely keep in contact with all their puppy buyers.
It looks like they haven't had a litter since 2010. Do you know if they are still breeding, and just haven't updated the site?
They mention health tests and health problems with the breed, but I would ask them specifically what health testing they do on their breeding dogs. In my opinion, they seem to be reputable (assuming that they do thorough health testing). Remember to ask lots of questions!

Good luck with your puppy search!

·
Da Boss
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I got the pedigree from the breeder for a litter they're expecting. I'm just learning what everything means and noticed it says: DNA Carrier vWD. Does that automatically count that litter out for me as a buyer? Also, what does this mean under the dogs name? (WS 137685/01 OFA 12896G36F-NOPI)

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I got the pedigree from the breeder for a litter they're expecting. I'm just learning what everything means and noticed it says: DNA Carrier vWD. Does that automatically count that litter out for me as a buyer? Also, what does this mean under the dogs name? (WS 137685/01 OFA 12896G36F-NOPI)
vWD Carrier is not an issue unless you are breeding. If you are going to breed a carrier you want to breed it to a dog that is clear.

WS###.... is the AKC registration Number and the OFA###....is Hip Certification, in this case her hips are rated as Good. NOPI means No permanent i.d. (such as a microchip or tatoo#).

·
Da Boss
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks so much avian!

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
What is the vWD status of the other parent of this litter?

You'd ideally want to see carrier bred to clear, so none of the puppies end up vWD affected.

In some cases, breeders will breed carrier to carrier, if there are other compelling reasons (in their opinion, of course) for doing that particular breeding--but ethical breeders then test the pups prior to sale, so that buyers know the vWD status of each pup they may be considering buying.

For me, it would only rule the litter out if there was a possibility of affected pups and the breeder was declining to test for buyers.

There are even members here who don't mind purchasing an affected puppy, as the chances of clinical bleeds is fairly low--for those of us who have had a clinically affected dog--the vast majority don't care to repeat the experience, though.

Reactions: Meldrew79

·
Da Boss
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is how it's written:

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
This is how it's written:

Okay, so you still need to get the information from the breeder, on the sire of the litter--that's just the dam and her parents' names.

·
Da Boss
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm blushing here because I thought ABADIE'S WRITTEN IN THE STARS is the sire and AM.CH. HQ DINAH FLO is the dam!
I have so much to learn about this pedigree stuff! :sweat:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts