Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my boy Tucker hurt his left front leg yesterday. I'm not sure how, but by last night he was limping pretty badly. I gave it until this morning, but he hadn't improved so I took him to the vet. My vet took a bunch of x-rays and thankfully nothing is broken. She thinks he just strained himself pretty bad.

She prescribed Tucker Deramaxx and Tramadol. She prescribed the Deramaxx after I told her that he didn't respond that well to Rimadyl. He doesn't get sick on the Rimadyl, it just doesn't seem to help his pain and I noticed that he pants a lot and seems anxious (maybe because he's in pain). He's had Tramadol before and does really well on it.

So I got home and researched the Deramaxx on DT forums and it sounds worse than the Rimadyl. Actually, all the NSAIDS sound scary. I'm thinking of just using the Tramadol and nothing else.

I love to hear your opinions and/or experiences with similar meds. I know you're not doctors, but I've yet to meet more knowledgeable people when it comes to Dobermans in general and I highly value your opinions.

Thanks so much!

Mom's worried cuz Iz hurt m'self

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
My vet does not give pain meds nor advise me even giving asprin unless the dog is in severe pain. He feels and I agree that dogs pain tolerance is much higher than humans. If I give pain meds and they cant feel they are hurt then they may over do it and hurt themselves worse. I prefer to limit exercise and let them heal up.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I agree, I don't give out pain meds for just any and every owie. It's too easy for the dog to overdo if/when you mask pain. I think there are situations where it's appropriate to give pain meds, so I'm not totally adverse to them, I just think there's a happy medium about using them.

I've had good luck using turmeric, which is a natural anti inflammatory rather than giving NSAIDs.

I wouldn't give Deramaxx to a doberman in any circumstance.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Herb2relax and Murreydobe. For the most part I agree, and I'm normally not real quick to dispense the meds, but he does really seem to be in pain and refuses to put any weight on his leg. The good thing is that he'll probably sleep through the night because they sedated him to take the x-rays. So I can better assess his pain in the morning.

Thanks for the info on the Turmeric, I'll definitely look into it. Where do you get it?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Thanks for the info on the Turmeric, I'll definitely look into it. Where do you get it?
You can get it in health food stores, in the spice racks at grocery stores or online pharmacies. I prefer to get it in pill form, it's a lot easier to dispense, so I bought it in health food stores or in the vitamin section of the supermarket. It's been awhile since I've had to use it, but I think I used to give 450 mg. twice a day. I'd just throw it in the food bowl.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can get it in health food stores, in the spice racks at grocery stores or online pharmacies. I prefer to get it in pill form, it's a lot easier to dispense, so I bought it in health food stores or in the vitamin section of the supermarket. It's been awhile since I've had to use it, but I think I used to give 450 mg. twice a day. I'd just throw it in the food bowl.
Great information, thank you. I'm gonna try and pick some up tomorrow as an alternative to NSAIDS.

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Great information, thank you. I'm gonna try and pick some up tomorrow as an alternative to NSAIDS.
The good news is it's also liver and heart healthy. There's also evidence that it can help reduce some types of malignant tumours. So all the way around, it can be a positive thing to use for a supplement.

I double checked, 450 mg. 2x day is the dosage I used.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The good news is it's also liver and heart healthy. There's also evidence that it can help reduce some types of malignant tumours. So all the way around, it can be a positive thing to use for a supplement.

I double checked, 450 mg. 2x day is the dosage I used.
See, this is exactly why I love the folks on DT. Such valuable information.

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
add me to the list - even my Vizslas' files say no Dermaxx and no Ace. If he absolutely needs the tramadol, I'd give it and crate him.

A while ago my older Vizsla came up lame on the front left leg. Enough that she wouldn't use it. I did dose with Tramadol and kept her inactive/tethered for 48 hours. I gave her 2 weeks of restricted activity and then stupdily let her come with us on a long hike at the river, she got slammed into by another one of my dogs and came up lame again. Lesson learned for me. It was again bad enough I felt to warrant meds, but again I tethered/crated, kept her quiet 14 days. I did some slow walks, longer walks and just this weekend (days 14 and 15) let her walk a mile and run on a flat ground without any other dogs for 10 minutes. We're going back slow and steady.

Several of my agility friends recommended keeping Traumeel on hand. It's an OTC type of NSAID.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Taylor had major surgery 3 weeks ago and I gave her Novox for two days. She was racing and romping without it so I said no need for it. I don't take pain meds for myself either.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It pi33ses me off to read this about Dermaxx as I had my doberboy on it prior to having him put to sleep for DCM. He was on it for arthritis in his spine, which was proven via xrays. my vet did warn me about side effects such as diarrhea and vomitting, which Jazz never had, and he did do blood work regularly. But he was weak and tired some days, maybe it was the Deramaxx. He fainted a few times, was this the result of the deramaxx or just DCM? Maybe I was poisoning my boy all along? It just goes to show you, you can't even trust your vet to know what the hell is going on! I now have to research every damn thing he recommends or says? I am going to print the links off and bring them into him. Not much I can do now...he's gone, I just hope I didn't kill him by giving him all those meds....

·
Registered
522 Posts
I am so glad that this forum remembers Sarge's horrible story and helps others not make the mistakes we made. Thanks all for spreading the word and warning on Deramaxx. Sarge died a horrible death way too premature and this at least is helping others not make a bad descision. Please just look into any drugs and read online before using any meds and ask the vets about any possible reactions ect... Thanks all

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am so glad that this forum remembers Sarge's horrible story and helps others not make the mistakes we made. Thanks all for spreading the word and warning on Deramaxx. Sarge died a horrible death way too premature and this at least is helping others not make a bad descision. Please just look into any drugs and read online before using any meds and ask the vets about any possible reactions ect... Thanks all
I hope that you at least find a little relief in the knowledge that Sarge's death was not in vain. Sarge, through your story, has no doubt saved many Dobe's who were headed for the same fate by being prescribed this drug.

Reactions: SARGE2008

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great info and links. Looks like I'm off to the store to get some Curcumin. And then it's at least two weeks of restricted activity and rest for my boy. Thanks again to all for the valuable info.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts