Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Michonne's Dad
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, We got our daub girl Michonne from a local breeder when she was a little over 2 months old. She is now almost 7 months old, is training well, growing well, and is completely potty trained (no accidents in the house in months). She is very submissive, will lay down in front of any dog she meets regardless of size, she is very playful and energetic, she loves to run and play. Michonnes breeder gave us a call and said she had a red doberman male from her most recent litter that she has available, he is about 5 months old, and from what she has told us he is also submissive with a "care free" attitude. I just have a few concerns on having two dobermans at a young age, I firstly don't want them to bond more with each other than me, I want them both to have a good relationship with me and each other, but I want to be the one they each come to, if that makes any sense. I honestly just worry overall about them growing up okay together. I feel like Michonne would enjoy having another dog to grow up with, and play with, I just want to know some others opinions on raising two dobies close in age.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
^^^agreed. And littermate syndrome is not only found in siblings...it's in any two young dogs that grow up together.

I say to wait. I also am confused why your breeder would suggest another puppy, as littermate syndrome is pretty common.

Make some connections in OB class and have play dates.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
I also would question why your breeder would offer you another pup at this time. I am sure you are a wonderful home, but the breeder should know the challenges that bringing another puppy into the mix, would present.

I have a fabulous puppy owner, that purchased a Male from last year's Wheeler x Piper litter. They are now 16 months old. She has contacted me about a 2nd puppy, from the litter I currently have. I will most definitely sell her another puppy --- NEXT year, when Ivan is 2 or so.

·
Michonne's Dad
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you

Thank you all for the advice. The breeder actually called us about the puppy because all of the other puppies had been claimed except for him, and she knew that we were considering getting another doberman at some point, and she just said he was so submissive that she thinks they would do good together. Michonne has already had a good deal of training, we are getting ready to put her through her last round of training which will be teaching her off leash walking, and off leash staying. She is already completely established at home since she's been living with us a good half year now. We would plan to do the same training program with him, and of course they would be trained separate so that they both could get the attention they deserve. And we would also play with them together and separately. We can handle the costs of vet bills and food bills, just really want to believe that they can live under the same house in peace. I hate to think that this puppy does not have a home yet. The breeder hasn't named him or anything yet because she doesn't want him to get used to a certain name or way of life and then it all have to change for him. So, i feel sorry that he is just sitting in a kennel type environment waiting for his forever home. I told her to keep an eye out for anyone that may have an interest in him, and that if she didn't hear anything by thanksgiving that we would take him and raise him. I appreciate any advice or opinions anyone might have for me because this is potentially going to happen.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Have you thought about maybe adopting an older dog?

I'm so happy having my older yorkie and my 5 1/2 mo. dobie, the two bonded so well. I'm not worried about them getting too attached because they both have a different bond with me and Prince is too old and sometimes grumpy to become a constant playing companion for Gretchen. They love each other and play but they both also have "alone" times as well. I also take them different places so I get "me time" in with each one separately.

Just a suggestion. Good luck whichever way you go. :)

·
Snuggle Monster
932 Posts
I appreciate any advice or opinions anyone might have for me because this is potentially going to happen.
My advice is ... don't. Help him find another home, if you can, but don't bring him to your home.

My Dobe was 1 year old when we moved into a mother-in-law suite next to some folks who had a 1-year-old Lab. Even though both of our dogs had had some training (my boy had had quite a lot of training and was solid; the Lab had had some minimal training) and both were fairly mature, they both backslid quite a bit. I always trained my Dobe separately; at most, the dogs were allowed to play together or go for a walk together once a day. But now, the Lab gets severe separation anxiety if she knows my Dobe is home and she isn't able to get to him. This means I frequently step out my front door to piles of her diarrhea. They both also behave atrociously when they're together and will completely ignore people. We can't take them anywhere together aside from the front yard, and even then we know they're just going to play with each other and not with us.

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
Thank you all for the advice. The breeder actually called us about the puppy because all of the other puppies had been claimed except for him, and she knew that we were considering getting another doberman at some point, and she just said he was so submissive that she thinks they would do good together. Michonne has already had a good deal of training, we are getting ready to put her through her last round of training which will be teaching her off leash walking, and off leash staying. She is already completely established at home since she's been living with us a good half year now. We would plan to do the same training program with him, and of course they would be trained separate so that they both could get the attention they deserve. And we would also play with them together and separately. We can handle the costs of vet bills and food bills, just really want to believe that they can live under the same house in peace. I hate to think that this puppy does not have a home yet. The breeder hasn't named him or anything yet because she doesn't want him to get used to a certain name or way of life and then it all have to change for him. So, i feel sorry that he is just sitting in a kennel type environment waiting for his forever home. I told her to keep an eye out for anyone that may have an interest in him, and that if she didn't hear anything by thanksgiving that we would take him and raise him. I appreciate any advice or opinions anyone might have for me because this is potentially going to happen.
If the breeder has just let him lanquish in a kennel environment without taking him out for proper socialization of strange people, places, sights and noises. No housetraining, but pooping in a kennel run type environment, your already most likely looking at problem behavior going forward.

She can give her reasons for not properly raising this puppy all she wants, but its wrong and shows her lack of knowledge or her laziness and the latter is what I lean toward. She is a byb and should not be breeding puppies that she's not willing to give the optimum start in life so they will be happy and well adjusted dogs. This actually makes me angry to read how she is treating this puppy.

She could be properly raising this puppy, socializing, housebreaking and training him to make him a delight to own. Instead she's creating a problem puppy whose important socialization and training is waiting on someone else to do it...ANYBODY!!! I'm just going to have to shutup cause I keep getting angrier and angrier.

I would not help her out in any way as that will just encourage her to stay in business and breed again treating other puppies she doesn't sell just like this one. Find a good rescue and suggest she turn the puppy over to them tho I'm not particularly wild about that either as its helping. Make sure the rescue is a 501c3 so it's legit and not a resale/broker type person living off of unfortunate animals like this puppy.

Please don't take this the wrong way, stay, read the forum more and learn about the type of breeders you should be supporting. This breeder is the type that helps fill up pounds and rescues dumping off her excess product!

·
Snuggle Monster
932 Posts
^^^ And that. I was trying to keep name calling out of my argument, but it's really pretty crumby — insulting and unscrupulous and just crappy — of your breeder to try to dump this boy on you. To me, it's like she's sitting there going, "I duped Michonne's dad once; he's a sucker. I'll bet I can get him to clean up my mess again for me." Really, I don't even want you to help her find someone else who can take this boy. If she's able to unload all her stock every time she breeds, she's going to keep breeding and she's going to keep having puppies sitting on her shelves well past their "sell-by" date. How many times do you feel like supporting her and bailing her out?

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
holy crap.

run. run far, far away. do not give this breeder any more money in the future.

·
Michonne's Dad
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really appreciate all the help and honest opinions. You know, you have your breeder and you think that you can trust them because you've dealt with them before and you think to yourself "theres no way she would purposely lead me down the wrong road" but it seems that she has. We are supposed to talk to her again today. I will just have to find a kind way to tell her that we do not want to take him. I feel bad because I know this will pretty much end our relationship as her being my breeder, but you can always find more breeders. We love Michonne with all of our hearts and we want her to have a good life not having to worry about developing a behavioral problem or not getting along with another dog in the house. My breeder is not going to be understanding in the least, so the conversation is not going to go well at all. I really do appreciate all the opinions, and I sensed it was a bad idea but didn't know for sure.

·
Snuggle Monster
932 Posts
I feel bad because I know this will pretty much end our relationship as her being my breeder ... My breeder is not going to be understanding in the least, so the conversation is not going to go well at all.
Any breeder who responds like that is not a breeder you or Michonne need or want in your lives anyhow. Good riddance.

Stick around here. There are some really GOOD breeders on this site and a lot of incredibly knowledgeable owners who can help you where your breeder has failed you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts