Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure how to treat my dogs open wound. Last night he ran after a bunny through a vegetable garden (how cliche) and got caught up in the wire / rope. It could have been a lot worse, he manage to leave with just a nasty scape on the inside of his leg.
I brought him home and just rinsed it with water. THis morning when I woke up it was evident he's been licking a lot. To me the wound doesn't look infected.
I've attached some pictures.
I went out and bought a cone for him to wear while I'm at work this morning (he's scared to death with it on).
What should I do to prevent infection and quicken the healing process?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

·
nutsaboutmydobes
2,122 Posts
That's a bit more than a "scrape". That wound looks deep & it needs stitching/ stapling up. My dobes have had wounds nowhere near as deep as your dogs that have needed stitching. I would think a course of antibiotics would be needed to be on the safe side as well. Please go see your vet ASAP before an infection takes hold.

·
Got mutt?
13,828 Posts
Definitely take the dog to the vet. That looks like it needs stiches and anitbiotics.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
My friend's dog started out with a "small" wound like that, and just from moving around the house and licking it, it opened up to be a gaping hole in her underarm area that was 3.5-4 inches long. Get it stitched up before it gets worse, and get some antibiotics to prevent a potentially serious infection.

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
Glad to hear he's going to the vet. A wound like that can turn bad quickly, not to mention I'd say he's in quite a bit of pain, too.

Keep us posted on how the vet trip goes!

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
I called the vet. Made an appointment for 1:30.

Thanks for all your quick responses. I appreciate this site so much when I'm in need of advice!
Good. That's a full thickness laceration and definitely needs sutures.

He may also need a tetanus booster, since it was an outdoor/wire injury.

Antibiotics in order, too, your vet will undoubtedly go over all this with you.

Good luck, update when you can.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Just came back from the vet. Saw a new vet (Dr. Kelly) at Eagen Hospital here in town. I've only met with Dr. Eagen before but he was not in today.

Here is the verdict.
I was given two options (and this is how it was said to me)
"what do you want to do, the quicker fix, or the longer fix?"
I said "the best fix"
So this is how she more clearly explained the two options.
a) The easy/ quicker fix is more expensive- stitches, he gets put under, antibiotics, still has to wear a cone. The whole nine yards. will cost most likely around $450 and you still run the risk of it getting infected by him licking it.
I then proceed to take my jaw off the floor ($450 for stitches?!?!?!? is this normal???)
b) The longer fix is to clean it, put derma gel on it to protect it and let it heal naturally. It will heal this way, but will take a bit longer, typically around 3 to 4 weeks. Also put him on antibiotics.

We talked a bit more and it was clear that she thought stitches were not necessary. So we shaved his leg, squirted a bunch of saline on it and i was sent home with
1. antibiotics for 2 weeks (if not healed i need to call back for more)
2. Saline to clean the wound twice a day
3. Derma gel to put on the wound after its cleaned

I was told to NOT let Judge lick the wound (obviously) and to put him in a cone or a long tshirt if he can't stand the cone and won't lick the tshirt and irritate the sore.

So fingers crossed we don't run into any issues.
Judge is simply terrified of the cone. He just freezes wearing it and after about 15 minutes of standing his head begins to slowly droop and his whole body shakes. (so sad).

so now he is sporting a long T shirt and sleeping like a baby :)

on a side note: the vets in chatham are monopolized by one dude. which means HIGH vet bills. Today cost me $184 for the consult and meds. Like i said early, stitches would have been $450. What are these prices in comparison to what any of you pay?

·
Got mutt?
13,828 Posts
About 5 years ago, in Anaheim, CA, an exam, anesthesia, 7 stitches, antibiotics and pain pills for my Rattie cost around $350. He went through a sliding window at my in-laws' house, and got a 1.5" cut on his right foreleg.

ETS: If I was in your shoes, I probably would have gone with stiches, myself. I've had some animals that we've had to let heal the way you describe. I can take weeks. One cat had a wound took probably two months to heal, and he had a scar the size of a dime, where the hair never grew back.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
...Today cost me $184 for the consult and meds. Like i said early, stitches would have been $450. What are these prices in comparison to what any of you pay?
The prices? They are nothing, compared with the health and well-being of my dog.

And that's coming from someone who's had to do a lot of humbling things, and make sacrifices, in order to pay.

I hope your dog is able to heal well by second intention. I've seen dogs survive worse.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good luck with that.

I would have definitely had the stitches done and used a clear cone.

You could be struggling with that for a long time.
Clear cone. never even thought of that. The one they gave me is the white one in the picture. If the shirt causes some issues Ill get a clear cone and try that.

I definitely would have gotten stitches if thats what was needed. but the vet made it seem like this route was just as acceptable.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Sorry to tell you, but in the many wounds of Wrigley, I was told that they will practically never heal if the wound is in a place that moves alot. It looks like the wound is in the upper part of the arm, near the armpit. You might save yourself and your pups time, and go back and opt for the stitches.

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
My first vet visit was over $500. I was new to owning dogs, and am a college student. Needless to say I was shocked and sickened thinking about dropping all of that money. I went ahead and got care credit. And because it was over $500 It was interest free for 18 months, and was only something like $24/month. Put that way, it seemed rather insignificant. I went ahead and paid it off very quickly because I want to build good credit, but at the same time, having that care credit line is an AWESOME thing to have considering I don't believe in animal insurance. (Have seen insurance companies royally mess up some horses)

I also keep a 'dog fund' savings account, for my future puppy and also emergency visits. $450 would in no way have turned me off from getting the stitches, and its merely a matter of having your priorities a certain way.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The prices? They are nothing, compared with the health and well-being of my dog.

And that's coming from someone who's had to do a lot of humbling things, and make sacrifices, in order to pay.

I hope your dog is able to heal well by second intention. I've seen dogs survive worse.
The reason I brought up cost of the vet was because all of the Chatham veterinary clinics are monopolized by a single man. If i received feedback saying the price was higher than average I would make some calls and consider switching to a vet a little further away.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts