Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Banned
6,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well......Just in case anyone needs it, the ASPCA has an animal Poison Control Phone Number.

The number is 888-426-4435

They also have a "kit" you can order which is free, that has a magnet with the number on it, and the stickers to put on your house In Case of Emergency.

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=petsafetypack

My emergency vet, thankfully called me back and told me what to do...but I just thought I would post that in case anyone else doesnt have access to that service.

I use the bleach tablets in my toilets, and tonight I left the door open to the bathroom and Ziris just helped herself. I called the Emergency Vet to see if I should bring her in, and they said there wasnt much I could do. You dont want to induce vomiting because you dont want the bleach to come back up and burn the trachea. So, she told me to give her milk to dilute the bleach, and I can give her some bread or rice also.

Oooooh....Ziris. It's always something.

I have never had toilet drinkers......but I wont be using the bleach tablets anymore, Just in case.

· Banned
6,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don’t know if it is true or not......but yesterday someone told me to keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol in the trunk, in case a dog gets overheated. The only way they can expel heat is through their mouth, and their feet..(or that is the quickest way I guess) So if the dog is overheating, pour alcohol on the pads of their feet, it immediately starts cooling them down.

Like I said......I don’t know if it is true....but it would be worth a $2 bottle of alcohol to try it if your dog was overheated and you had no way of immediately cooling them off. It does kind of make sense...when you rub alcohol on your skin it has a cooling effect.

· Banned
6,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Geez, never a dull moment huh? Good to hear she didn't suffer any ill affects.

Emergency/FA kits are a great idea. I'll probably get laughed at for adding this but... don't forget disaster kits as well. Make one up for your pet(s) [and your family for that matter], with a minmum of 72 hours of food, meds, water, blankets and anything else needed for survival during times of emergency/disaster. They don't happen often granted, but when they do it is quick and leaves many people virtually unprepared. Sadly, pets are often the last thought of and tend to suffer for that.
Oh, I dont think it is funny at all. I live in a major hurricane area, and I try to stay prepared during storms. Although, I guess it isnt only storms that I should be worried about.

I usually have the crates in the trunk anyway, but if there is a chance of it getting bad, I will put a bag for me and a bag for the dogs in the trunk as well. I am more than willing to head for the hills if the weather here gets questionable. I almost always have vet wrap, and syptic powder in my car, I do really need to make a first aid kit though.

· Banned
6,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hey, been off the board and just read this.
Sure glad Ziris is okay, that would have scared the bejeebers out of me too!!!
The alcohol to paws is true, saw it on one of those Animal Planet channel animal police shows where they were cooling down an overheated dog.
Well that is good to know then. I will for sure keep it in my car. It gets HOT here, and they can overheat so fast....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.